“For the dinner”

Black Star Farms Winery
Ranked #2 of 25 things to do in Suttons Bay
More attraction details
Owner description: Our unique one-of-a-kind destination is located only 12 miles north of Traverse City, MI on the scenic Leelanau Peninsula. The gorgeous 160 acre estate features vineyards, a luxury Inn, award winning winery and tasting room, the seasonal Hearth & Vine Cafe, horses, farm animals, and hiking trails.
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I took a chance on this place for our 10 year anniversary because they offered a dinner 1-2 times a week. Home run.

The food was spectacular - I have been all over the world and the food served here was in the top 2-3 places I have ever eaten. It is an abbreviated menu and very small operation. There is one person seating and waiting on tables and then the chef. Only about 6-8 tables are in the place and it is located on the left side of the Inn. My wife is somewhat picky and at first glance didn't want anything on the menu, so it forced her to try some new things. She loved all of it.

We had a table right next to a window that looked out at the property. The woman waiting on all the tables was genuine and very knowledgeable. We had good conversation with her throughout the night. It was a very romantic setting with an intimate setting and simply decorated. The chef was also accessible and made some of the food right out by the dining room. We conversed with him at the end of the night and I had a bit of a man crush because of how good the food was.

We didn't stay at the Inn, but went back the next day to walk the grounds and check out the cheese maker, winery, and stables. Tons to do. We ate that day at the cafe and the food was once again incredible. I can't say it enough - don't go to this place just for the wine, make sure you eat there as well.

All reviews
in 7 reviews
"bought several bottles"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Since we stayed at Black Star Farms we got a great wine tasting. The servers were very nice. We ended up buying a few bottles to take back to MN.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Wonderful staff that enjoy what they do and like to educate their clients. Wine is very good; they charge for their tasting but you get a wine glass. Really appreciated they actually gave you enough wine to taste! We bought several bottles.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

While the building inside is very beautiful, that was the only pleasant thing about my experience there.
This was one stop on a 20 winery tour myself and 9 friends went on hosted by the Leelanau Peninsula Vintners Association 11/3-11-4 called Toast the Season. This was the least favorite of the wineries we visited. Staff was so incredibly rude that I was seriously appalled and would have walked right out if I hadn't been with a group. One of the women serving samples got right in my friends face when she was confused about how many free samples we were allowed and asked "WHAT don't you understand?!" Another gentleman there couldn't even recommend any wines because he was 5 years sober. That is truly wonderful for him, but he didn't even try to be helpful. Not a smile on any of the staff's faces. When one of our group confronted the gentleman and asked why he was so moody, his explanation was that it was very busy. Really? It was the first stop we made that day at 12:30pm and they were open until 5pm. It was a terrible way to start our day off, but some of the other places definitely made up for their lack of friendliness. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. Ever.

3  Thank Amy R
blackstarfarms, Public Relations Manager at Black Star Farms Winery, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Hello,

Thank you for taking time to submit a review to Trip Advisor. Your review is important to us as makes us aware of problems that need to be corrected. We sincerely apologize for the negative experience you had in our tasting room on Nov 3. The employees who provided the bad customer service are no longer with our company.

We hope to provide a better experience in your next visit to our tasting room. Please accept our offer for complimentary tasting for two upon your return by emailing clopez@blackstarfarms.com.

Regards,