“What happened?”

Original Philips Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 158 Restaurants in Taylor
Reviewed 31 October 2016

I reviewed Phillips Original Restaurant a long time ago. The food was very good and service was even better but not any more. Today was my wife's choice for a breakfast spot. She suggested Phillips. We entered and sat in one of our favorite booths, on the right as you walked in the door. The coffee was promptly served. I ordered the breakfast special with two eggs, choice of meat and potatoes. My wife ordered the one egg special with choice of meat. Even taking into consideration that I am a bit on the high maintenance side, we were rudely treated and the food was not prepared as we requested. I prefer my potatoes well browned and crunchy and the eggs cooked over medium. I like my rye bread grilled, not toasted, as this gives the butter a nutty flavor. Upon placing my order, our waitress became argumentative saying "ya get the potatoes da way dare're cooked". She gave a heavy breath, apparently in disgust, as I request the grilled rye and as she walked away from the table, she said, "Whoa". I felt as though my wife and I were totally unwelcome. I knew something was wrong as our meal was served within a couple of minutes. I immediately noticed the potatoes, which were barely golden brown and rather mushy. My eggs were over cooked. The bottom of the eggs had a dark brown lacy coating, indicating they were cooked quickly, at too high of a heat. I had to use a knife rather than just a fork to cut the eggs. My wife's egg also had the dark brown lacy coating. As our meals were placed on the table, our waitress quickly walked back into the galley area making it impossible to raise my concerns about the meals. It took several minutes for me to catch the eye of the other waitresses to ask for hot sauce. The rye bread, and I am not sure that it was rye, was simply warmed on the griddle. Basically it was warm bread with no crisp on the outside. My wife leaned over the table and whispered, I guess we're not coming here any more. In this restaurants jargon, Ya got da't right.

Reviewed 4 September 2016 via mobile

Stopped in for breakfast / lunch before we headed to a wedding later this evening. Didn't know anything about the area, but read a review stating that this place is "a diamond in the rough."
Upon arrival, we notice that the building is quite small, and there's not a large area to park. All the parking spaces were full, so we figured that was a good sign.
Entered in and the place was full, save for a couple of two tops but we needed a 4 top table. When one opened, we jumped at the chance for a table.
The menu itself was pretty simple, nothing fancy, but we don't need many choices. Between the four of us, we got the Philips' special breakfasts, biscuits and gravy, and patty melt. The Philips' special, which I got was good. It was perfectly portioned and included 2 bacons (super crispy!), 2 sausage links, 2 pancakes, 2 eggs, and 2 pieces of toast. The biscuits for the biscuits and gravy were so delightfully homemade and very delicious.
To top it off, the workers were so friendly and happy ! They were talking to us and made us feel very welcome.
Definitely a great experience and the prices were cheap!

Reviewed 22 August 2016 via mobile

I stopped in here for breakfast as I was in town for a baseball tournament in Taylor.

The restaurant itself is a very small little building with the inner walls decorated with local Detroit pictures and items.

The restaurant is only open until 2 PM so it is geared towards breakfast and lunch and the menu selection was somewhat small.

All in all an OK spot to get breakfast, much much better than the La Quinta hotel that I stayed in that offered a free breakfast but not as good as other breakfast spots I've been to.

Reviewed 2 April 2016 via mobile

Whenever I'm in the area I love to stop at The original Philip's for a bite to eat! Great breakfasts and I love the soup and sandwiches too! The chopped sirloin steak and Greek salad w/chicken are my two favorites!!!

1  Thank Debbie V
Reviewed 29 March 2016 via mobile

Back home for a quick stay have to stop at Philips!
Egg white omelet Veggie, awesome as always, great place!!! Thanks again!

1  Thank corvette44