“Highway robbery”

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
“Highway robbery”
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Took my mom and 2 year old for a quick getaway. Room was mediocre for the 169.99/nt price tag. ( wolf den suite ) Food was outrageous. 23.00 for overcooked ny strip that wasnt edible. Enjoyed fire alarms going off in our room at 6 am which not only woke everyone up but scared the day lights out of my 2 year old. When asked what was going on was given the answer, " false alarm. " Really?! Oh and my son and I brought home a lovely parting gift. The stomach flu. Both my son and I had it. My mom did not, but she also didn't swim. Will not be back. Thanks Great Wolf!

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank jkubikmk
GWL_Management, General Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
I am sorry to hear about the issues you experienced during your stay.

In regards to price, our pricing is influenced by local competition, availability, demand and the size and cost of living in the metro areas closest to that resort. I apologize that you did not find your trip to be of great value.

As for your other issues, these have been noted and will be shared with my team.

Chris Ballou

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Went to the Great Wolf Lodge in Traverse City for the first time on February 8. Went with my wife and two daughters - ages 6 & 5. We absolutely loved it. A great mid-winter break. Staff was very friendly. The rooms, water park and entire property were clean and comfortable. We stayed in a Kid Cabin and the girls loved the bunk beds. Yes, it's a bit pricey, but atleast you get two days in the water park with one night's stay. Unlike some of the other reviews I've read, we didn't have any problems with our suite not being ready on time. We showed up at 1:00 and were allowed to check in. But then again, we stayed on a Wednesday night when the resort wasn't full. We'll definitely go back.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank JasonT26
Essexville, Michigan
Reviewed 8 February 2012

we had a nice weeked with the kids at the lodge, waterpark was nice. worst part of trip was coming home to realize that we brought home head lice. myself and two of four children were infected. first night we arrived, my husband noticed a small bug on one of the pillows we thougth it may be a bed bug but deduced it wasnt. we now know it was a louse. spent the last two weeks doing tons of wash and putting lots of mayo and chemicals in hair. made the trip regrettable, would have been better off staying home for the weekend. management seemed aloof and said they would check the room but has no interest in helping us, other than calling every couple days to "see how we are doing." (not sure what this accomplishes) if they had been apologetic or offered some refund/voucher it would have been nice...will look at avalache bay or kalahari next time.

10 Thank Sarah H
I am sorry to hear about the issue you experienced during your stay. As the staff discussed with you, we have strong cleaning procedures at the lodge. I am sorry if there is any confusion.

Please call the lodge directly if you would like to speak about this again. 231-941-3600

Kind Regards,
Chris Ballou
Newark
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Traveled here last summer and the resort was clean and well maintained. Great water park inside and not too crowded. Life guards were pleasant and friendly. Location was close to downtown Traverse so convienient to the resteraunts, etc. Would visit another Great Wolf as well as I think the are pretty organized.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Charlevoix, Michigan
Reviewed 5 February 2012

We went to the Great Wolf Lodge for my daughters birthday. Check-in went well got to the room and it was nice and roomy the issue that we had was there were bugs flying out of the drain in the sink. Also they had quiet hours posted but not really enforced lots of kids running around yelling and knocking on doors. We also ordered a paw pass found it hard to do all the stuff on the pass cause either the attraction opened or closed different times of the day and week very little communication between the gift shop and the front desk. A few times we went to the gift shop and they said go to the desk, went to the desk and they said check with the gift shop, then you ask someone else a question and they would give you another answer.
The waterpark was great as always nice clean water and comfortable. Daughter enjoyed the lily pads and the hot tube.

1 Thank captainfunk
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 3 February 2012

I stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge in January 2012 with some friends for a weekend of fun in Traverse City. The wilderness theme and water park make this resort attractive to families. It is kid heaven.

The location of this hotel is great. It is close to town and near a Meijer, McDonalds, and the Flap Jack Shack. It is also close to Old Mission Peninsula if you want to check out a few Traverse City vineyards and wineries.

The water park is the main reason to stay at this hotel. It has water slides, a lazy river, hot tubs and a huge playhouse for the kids. Needless to say, the water park is also PACKED with children. We enjoyed ourselves regardless. Parents should note that there is no outside food or drink allowed in the park. You are also required to wear wristbands to enter the area.

Our room in the hotel was clean and comfortable, but it seemed small and unremarkable given the price. The refrigerator, microwave, and sleeper sofa in the room were nice perks that came in handy during our stay.

My biggest complaint about this hotel is the cost. I understand the hotel and water park must be costly to maintain, but the rooms and restaurant are pricey for the amenities you receive. Be prepared for an expensive vacation.

Bottom line: I would return to the Great Wolf Lodge with my future (young) children for a fun family weekend, but I will be spending my vacation funds elsewhere until then. I would not recommend this hotel to couples who are looking for a quiet, romantic weekend or the twenty-somethings looking for a fun weekend up north. Save this place for the kids.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank ckstar16
Zeeland, Michigan
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Surprisingly, they were more enthralled with Magiquest than the water park. At 7 and 5 years old, I was expecting we would spend the whole time in the waterpark, and they kept begging to go out and do more quests.

Maybe there is an opportunity for a whole magic-themed hotel, with a pool and some slides to break up the questing!

We stayed in the Cabin room. Very nice theme and the kids loved the bunk beds. Very clean and nice staff. Storytime was interesting with the snow at the end.

Room Tip: Just accept and plan on spending $35 on the Magiquest wand. It seems like an extravagance, but my k...