“OMG - Horrible experience.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Met Troy

The Met Troy
Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Troy
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“OMG - Horrible experience.”
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Checked in on Friday, March 23rd at 4:15 PM. Checkout at 2:30 AM Saturday, March 24th. The worst hotel I have ever stayed at. FYI - no hot breakfast - we were told continental breakfast. My kids were in their hotel room and were woken up to bed bugs at 1:45 in the morning. They called us at our room to come see the bugs. I was shocked and horrified. They were coming out of the pillow cases and under the mattresses. We took pictures and video of the bugs. I then packed my family up and went downstairs to the front desk and let them know the situation. The front desk rep didn't seem very surprised of the situation. And of course there was no manager on site - LIE. The front desk person tells us the general manager would call us back first thing in the morning. Another LIE. Also told us that we would be refunded our money by MET or Groupon. Never heard from GM. I called at 10:30 am and then my husband called at 1:30 pm and we were both told that the general manage was unavailable. I then called back at 8:30 pm and finally spoke to Mike (GM). Who, told us that they stripped the room and found no bed bugs. I told him I had pictures and video of the bugs. He still denied the bed bugs. He was very rude and let me know that he only get $17 from Groupon for each hotel room. I told him that I want my $42 and he told me to contact Groupon. This place is a joke and has poor customer service. If I could give this hotel my true rating it would be a 0 not a 1.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Tracy F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
windsor, ontario, canada
Reviewed 25 February 2012

I just stayed at this hotel February 18th. Rooms were very spacious. When I walked in I was amazed at how roomy it was. Yes, the rooms were cold and we had the heater going all night to stay warm. My suggestion to my husband was they should put the heaters on in the rooms they know are going to be occupied for that day. Other then that, its was convenient for what we were there for, a night stay over, shopping and dining. Yes, I to was using a Groupon and I think it was worth the $42.00 spent. These people who are rushing down at 9am for free coffee and continental breakfast, please, is this what you really bought the night stay for. I didn't care if I had any kind of breakfast. There is no way I would be up at 9am just for a free breakfast. Most places don't even give a free breakfast, Get over it.

1 Thank Dawn D
MichaelWitoszynski, General Manager at The Met Troy, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Thank you for your response. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at the MET. I apologize for the temperature of your room, but I am happy to hear that your stay overall was a good one. We hope to see you again soon!
Chatham, Canada
Reviewed 24 February 2012

A friend and I stayed at the hotel recently because we had purchased a groupon. The groupon price of $42 included a $12 hot breakfast. We were informed upon booking that there was no hot breakfast but we would have a continental breakfast instead. No offer of compensation was made.
Our room was very acceptable and comfortable, if not a bit worn out. There were age stains in the tub and no coffee maker in the room. However, the beds were comfortable and clean. The hotel itself was a bit run down. It seemed like it had been a great hotel once. The pool was out of service due to a broken heater and the area was freezing. The exercise room looked very nice but upon using it we soon discovered that half of the machines were inoperable. The staff we met were all pleasant but seemed resigned to the problems of the hotel. We mentioned it upon checking out and the staff member seemed disinterested, as though they had heard it all before and were powerless to do anything. We did actually overhear other guest complaining to staff and each other. In fact, I had read similar problems on tripadvisor before going and each time a staff member had responded that the problems had been fixed. I was impressed that they took these reviews so seriously. I now believe that nothing has been done other than website damage control.

The breakfast would have been decent if it was staffed with more than one person. We arrived to eat at 9am and they were out of coffee, bread, danishes, and fruit. The lone server was making waffles with the one single waffle maker. I had cold cereal with milk and jumped in a long line when the coffee finally came out.
We were there to shop so the accommodations were adequate for our needs. If I had brought my children here I would have been completely disappointed and would have sought accommodations elsewhere, as did another guest we saw.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank gipseee
I am sorry to hear that your stay at our hotel was less than satisfactory. We never want to dissapoint our guests, and I must assure you that we do in fact take these reviews very seriously. In the past few months we have made dramatic changes to our housekeeping, front desk & service procedures and have seen quite a change here at the MET. However, some matters of improvement do take time and investment and are still a work in progress. We hope that we can host you again in the future, and give you a better experience.

Travellers are raving about these Troy hotels

Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We were at your hotel on Feb. l8, 2012 and were extremely disappointed. We went with a groupon and were looking forward to our night away. The rooms were very clean but the whole hotel was freezing. We had our heat on and it ran constantly, never turning off.
We went down to the pool to find it just as cold (no thank you). Then to top it off we were down
stairs at 9:30am the following morning to enjoy our hot breakfast that was advertised when buying the groupon. I don't know where hot came into the picture but it was the saddest excuse for a breakfast that I have ever seen. There were 1/2 dozen mini muffins, 3 slices of
whole wheat bread, no bagels or regular bread. There was one orange left and when I went
to pick it up my thumb went right thru it. When I asked if anything else was coming out the
lady said no this is it. I went to the front desk to complain and I mentioned that a hot breakfast was advertised. He said "I don't advertise I just work hear". After he spoke to the lady a few items were put out but not enough. There were people still walking in and the consensius in the room was one of disappointment from everyone still in there. I do not feel
that we had to go elsewhere to have breakfast when it was advertised as a hot breakfast.
My issue here is I have another groupon to give away but I could not do that to anyone. Is there anything you could do to reimburse us or do I have to go thru groupon.

1 Thank gisele f
MichaelWitoszynski, General Manager at The Met Troy, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
I am so sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay at The MET. We have retailored our complimentary breakfast based on demand and in recent months have offered assorted danishes, breads, cereals, fruit, hot oatmeal & a belgian waffle station. We have had positive feedback on these changes, but seeing as you were disappointed, perhaps we need to revisit this. Unfortunately we cannot offer refunds on Groupons, but we can offer you an upgrade upon your next stay with us. Please contact the Sales Department if this is of interest to you. Again, I apologize for your less than exceptional stay with us, and hope we can give you a better experience in the future.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Stayed here last weekend for one night to do some President's day shopping. Very good location near lots of malls and restaurants and easy access to I-75. Fast check in and nice room which was larger than expected and the king bed was dream to sleep in. Room and all parts of hotel we saw were exceptionally clean. Phone calls were free as was the wifi in room as well as a business center with free printer. There was also a complimentary continental breakfast. Really enjoyed and will keep this one on our list next time we are looking for hotel in Troy.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review of the MET Hotel. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you plan to stay with us again. Thank you for your feedback, and we look forward to seeing you again soon at the MET!
Michigan
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I received a special rate for a nights stay. Boy, was I glad I did not pay full price.

The room was nice and clean and Andy at the desk was very nice and pleasant. But one of the reasons we went was to enjoy the indoor pool during the cold Michigan winter months. The pool's heater was broken, the water was freezing and they forgot to mention this when we checked in.

Their free continental breakfast was one of the worst I ever seen in any hotel or anywhere for that fact. Bare minimum. It was like surprising one of your old college buddies for breakfast and he hasn't gone shopping yet. We went out somewhere else for breakfast.

It seems that this was once a very nice place but has fallen below it's potential. Like I said earlier, it would not be worth paying full price.

i hope they can improve.

2 Thank PurplerhinoMich
MichaelWitoszynski, General Manager at The Met Troy, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Thank you for your review of the MET Hotel. I apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced regarding our indoor pool. You absolutely should have been notified of its closure upon check-in, and I apologize that this was not handled properly. This issue has been addressed on all levels and I assure you, it will not happen again. I am also sorry that you found our complimentary continental breakfast to be disappointing. We recently added hot oatmeal and a belgian waffle station in order to add some more options for our guests. I hope you can stay with us again, and we can give you a great experience in the future.
Muskegon, Michigan
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at the Met. The beds were awesome. the rooms were very spacious, and well appointed. the breakfast - including hot waffles - was perfect!
we loved the staff. especially andy and jeff! they were so kind and helpful! they made our stay even more enjoyable! also, we enjoyed the fitness room and the sauna! the place was a fantastic value and we would stay there again in a heartbeat! we highly recommend it!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank pekamama
Thank you for choosing the MET for your weekend stay. We are so pleased to learn that you were happy with both our facilities as well as our team members. We strive to give a high level of service as well as a great value to our guests, and we are happy to hear you felt we are accomplished this. We hope to see you again soon!