“Great Food, Great Prices, support this authentic restaurant”
Review of El Guanaco

El Guanaco
Ranked #55 of 320 Restaurants in Troy
Cuisines: Latin
Reviewed January 14, 2018

This is a great place to try if you like latin food and want to expand your tastes. This is an authentic Salvadoran restaurant. They have papusas and empanadas which are great. They also offer more traditional latin fare such as tacos and enchiladas. The tacos al pastor are great and cheap. We have been here weekly for the last couple months. My wife and I had the complimentary chips and salsa, 2 soft drinks, 1 papas that comes with slaw and hot sauce, and 3 tacos, and our bill was just over $10!. These are not skimpy tacos either, they have lots of filling and flavor. Lots of their customers appear to be of the same or similar ethnicity, so this always tells me, its authentic and good!

Date of visit: January 2018

Reviewed January 7, 2018

Friends had told me about this little gem that we pass each time we go to the movies at MJR but we had never been here so today we stopped in for a late lunch. What a good decision. It isnt fancy so dont go for atmosphere but the overhead music is authentic, the staff is terrific, and most importantly the food is fabulous! They brought us complimentary chips and salsa then we had Salvadorian Style Bistec that was tender delicious marinated meat (see photo) and the super chicken burrito (see photo) also excellent and the bill with two cokes was under $30. Look forward to returning soon.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed October 1, 2017 via mobile

Heard someone talking about this restaurant and my husband and I thought we would try it. Very inexpensive, very small and very good.

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed July 26, 2017

My BF swears the salsa is store bought and they threw in some fresh cilantro to make it look fresh. The salsa is ok, the chips are decent. The bathroom is a dumpy little storage area for their spare chairs, mostly. There was no soap in the dispenser and the seat of the toilet looked like there was some dried on blood or other bodily fluids - blech. The chips were decent but they kept bringing out such a small amount and it looked on the menu as if they charged us for any refills, they seem to nickel and dime us for every little thing. The guac was $3 and was small and looked and tasted so old and not fresh to me. The bean tostada was good and so was the corn tamale. It was an interesting experience but I am not certain either of us were impressed enough to go back again. I think the Pupas was much better at the one in Detroit at Pupuseria Y Restaurante Salvadoreno. The quality of the corn and thickness was just right and their slaw is so fresh and delicious I end up piling it on my Pupas to make sure I get a good mouthful with every bite. I usually get a refill it's that good.

Date of visit: July 2017
Reviewed June 12, 2017

My new favorite place for carry outs! Love their tacos...I've had the beef and pastor, and both are amazing. My coworkers love the taco salad and the chicken burrito. Can't wait to go again. :)

Date of visit: June 2017