“Excellent Experience”

Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Troy
Sun City West, AZ
“Excellent Experience”
Reviewed 19 January 2012

The Somerset Inn is one of the best hotels we have experienced. The entire staff was most helpful to us during the entirety of our two week stay.
You can't beat the location. Situated across the street from the fashionable Somerset Mall and across the street from the Somerset Apartments which has an excellent walking circle.
The room was very clean and maintained well.
We will definitely stay here again when we visit Michigan from Arizona.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank willieSunCityWestAZ

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Jacksonville, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 January 2012

I stayed at the Somerset Inn from January 8, 2012 through January 12, 2012 while moving my son from North Carolina to Michigan. The place is nice and in a great location. I thought it was a lot of money for the room. I paid $119 the first night and $144 the other nights. I think, but I'm not sure, the cost went up because of the International Auto Show (which i didn't know was there when I booked). The room was clean but can use some updates. The bed was hard and, while looking at the mattress and box spring, you could see they were old. It has a restaurant on site and I highly recommend the Chicken Parmesian for $19.99. For what I was paying I would have liked to have had complimentary breakfast. The restaurant does open for breakfast, but I did not try it. Oh yeah, and it is directly across from a huge (pricey) mall. But it was fun walking around even if I couldn't afford anything in it. All in all, I would stay here again. It was a nice place, just a little on the costly side.

Room Tip: I was in room 100 on the bottom floor. It was very quiet. The only concern I had about the first flo...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Goldenhare
Mount Pleasant, Michigan
Reviewed 4 January 2012

This hotel is just steps away from the nicest mall in Michigan & minutes away from downtown Birmingham. The staff was very friendly, and very knowledgeable about the surrounding area. They helped me choose a restaurant (for my somewhat picky group)! They also have a free business & printing station in the lobby and free wi-fi in rooms! Rooms are very clean and quiet. I enjoyed a nice breakfast in the restaurant. We will stay here for all future shopping trips in Troy!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ttravelin
London, Canada
Reviewed 15 December 2011

So when my wife and kids go shopping over in the states. We always stay at Summerset Inn. It is right across the street from The Summerset Collection. The rooms have always been clean, the staff is great. If you are Canadian they offer a Canadian Deal which includes Full Breakfast and 20% off dinner, Plus discount coupon to the mall and other services in the area.
The Tower room are cheaper than the garden rooms but we have found the beds to more comfortable in the tower. Lots of business travellers during the week.

In the evening they have fresh bake cookies waiting for you. I always tell people if they are coming to the Troy area to give this hotel a chance.

Room Tip: Tower Rooms seem to have better beds and cheaper rates too.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank LondonRN
Toronto
Reviewed 29 November 2011

I have stayed at this hotel twice on shopping excursions to Troy. The first time our duvet cover had white crust on it (ew) and seemed to have not been cleaned in some time. They stay was further ruined by a large cockroach in the lobby bathroom.

On my most recent trip the stay was slightly better. The sheets were clean, but the carpet had red stains (looked like blood) on it.

The hotel is very close to the mall, which is convenient. You can literally walk 10 steps to neiman marcus. However, the Marriott has even better rates and, I find, is much cleaner and nicer. My friends and I agreed that we will not be returning to Somerset Inn.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
SomersetTroy, Director of Sales at Somerset Inn, responded to this review, 7 December 2011
Dear mfost,
Unfortunately, Trip Advisor does not provide an outlet for the business establishments to post reviews and testimonials made directly with the Hotel. Please note we can make available review after positive testimonial about the cleanliness of our hotel; along with review after positive review regarding our customer service. Certainly our goal is to provide a positive guest experience with both our product and our guest satisfaction. However, we must be informed of the dissatisfaction in order to resolve the issue. We will always resolve the issue – it’s the top priority at this hotel! Please keep that in mind before choosing instead, to write a slanderous online review.

First let me address the comment the “stay was further ruined by a large cockroach in the lobby bathroom.” The hotel maintains an expensive, aggressive and rigid pest control maintenance program. We have for many years! We do not nor have we ever had an infestation issue with this bug or any other bug in the last two decades that I have worked at this hotel. We strongly resent the inference to this matter.

With regard to your “dirty” comment ~ our standards are such that our duvet covers are washed and sterilized routinely and our sheets are washed and sterilized everyday – much to the chagrin of environmental/green programs. The red stain on the carpet?? Blood doesn’t stain red – perhaps it was a spec of lip-stick from a girl’s weekend shopping excursion. The real question is… if there was a problem, did you address it with the front desk while onsite? The answer is clearly NO. If we’re unaware that a problem exists until it hits Trip Advisor, we can’t fix it for you. We kindly ask that you keep that in mind in the future. Thank you.

Kind regards,
Tecumseh, Canada
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Somerset Inn is very mediocre. It needs some serious updating and redecorating. The lighting in the room was fluorescent only. The security lock on our door didn't work. The bed was hard and the pillows were not comfortable. The location, right across from Somerset Mall, is ideal, but the hotel is nowhere near as nice as the mall. The breakfast at Crumpets was delicious, however.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
SomersetTroy, Director of Sales at Somerset Inn, responded to this review, 20 October 2011
Dear Eilefour,
Thank you for taking time to provide some feedback regarding your recent stay at the Somerset Inn. We couldn’t agree more, that our location next the fabulous Somerset Collection is definitely ideal. Many guests also like our par 30 executive golf course, and our picturesque walking and jogging trails. The 20+ restaurants that are situated on the Somerset Complex, as well as our own Crumpets Restaurant, are amongst the BEST in Metro Detroit. (We appreciate the kind remarks regarding your breakfast experience in our own Crumpets Restaurant.) Finally, I am happy to report that plans to change the décor plus switch out the in-room televisions, as well as the purchase of luxury bedding and linens are in the works. Your opinion is of value to us, thank you for sharing. Our future plans include some changes. Please keep that in mind when visiting our area; and please visit us again, soon! Kind regards.
Toronto
Reviewed 26 August 2011

I said here for one night before a shopping trip and I have nothing negative to say. There were a plate of cookies in the lobby upon check-in. The room was very spacious with a walk-out into a garden. I used the cardio room in the morning and it was sufficient. The breakfast service and food were fine. And best of all, you can walk across a street to the mall.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
SomersetTroy, Director of Sales at Somerset Inn, responded to this review, 29 August 2011
Dear SaraFeld,
We're happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. I agree, our chocolate chip cookies are scrumptious....and certainly you can't beat our proximity to fabulous shopping!!! Please visit again soon! Kind regards, The Somerset Staff