“Good stay, a minor issue”
Review of Somerset Inn

Somerset Inn
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Troy
“Good stay, a minor issue”
Reviewed 29 April 2012 via mobile

Stayed in the hotel for a weekend. Anything one can expect from a mid range hotel. Clean and specious room, good bed and shower. Good restaurant - had two breakfasts and one dinner, good food and excellent service at a very reasonable price. Two minor issues: in the morning every door save for our room had a newspaper in front of it. Asked reception for one and was charged $2.50. Would have accepted it, but printed price on the paper was $1.00. Guess business is good if margins are so high. Second, beware of room 201. The cooling and heating unit is not good at taking instructions. It either full blast cold or hot, nothing in between.

Stayed April 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Holland, Michigan
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Doing business in North Detroit......the Somerset is a good hotel to choose. I had meetings nearby and had stayed here before. Nice lean rooms, moderate prices make this a good business hotel. They also cater to guests needs....I was in big hurry in the morning to eat then head to a meeting hoping the restaurant had a buffet, they didn't but brought me a cooked breakfast in five minutes so I could get out quickly.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 14 April 2012

It’s hard to decide where to start. I was traveling on business and staid on the first floor in the “court yard” section of the hotel. My college staid on high floor in the tower sections and had a similar experience.

• I was never able to regulate the temperature. It was either full blown cold or hot (even on low)
• Wind was blowing through my outside door (my co-worker had a similar experience with old caulking on his window that actually rattled)
• When checking in we asked if the business we were visiting had a negotiated rate, and were told once you make a reservation it’s "written in stone and can’t be changed". The way the message was delivered seemed to start things off on the wrong foot.
• Pillows were lumpy and hard - Don't know where they hid the comfy beds that some of the recent reviewers mention.
• Unlike most hotels today, they still had bedspreads and open cover which left me with a less than clean feeling.
• I’m about 90% sure they had bed bugs. I had bites the next morning. Luckily my suite case stayed on the stand by the wall or on the desk, and I threw away my bed clothes so I didn’t bring the little fellows home.
• At breakfast my glass had brown sludge (can’t think of any other way to describe it) in it and when someone noticed me looking at it, without saying a word they grabbed it out of my hand – no apologies, And they charged me for it.
• I left a somewhat pricy item in my room, and when I stopped back by the hotel to have them look in their lost and found I was told by the front desk clerk that if they were really nice I’d probably never see them again – and I haven’t. I did call back and spoke to the head of housekeeping who was Very courteous and professional. I think the other staff could take lessons from her.

The location was about the only good thing. You can escape to an upscale mall with fabulous stores and restaurants. I highly recommend the Capital Grill for dinner.

It's worth a little drive to stay somewhere else. There plenty of options a short distance away.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
SomersetTroy, Director of Sales at Somerset Inn, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear BizTraveler_scr,
Thank you for selecting the Somerset Inn during your recent visit to Troy, Mi. Based on the information that you supplied, it was obvious that you had researched our hotel before making your reservation. Noteworthy in your review was the mention of the many wonderful comments that we’ve received from numerous satisfied guests; especially those pertaining to our comfortable beds (which are essentially brand new). It’s disconcerting that your stay wasn’t as enjoyable as we would’ve liked, and without knowing the exact room that you were in, it’s difficult for us to investigate the issue. As a result, we kindly ask that you contact our General Manager with more relevant information, such as a specific room number. Thank you.
Crestwood, Kentucky
Reviewed 24 March 2012

It is an older hotel, but has been updsted nicely. No pool or hot tub. Next to a huge mall with alot of high end stores. Many restaurants nearby. Staff very polite & professional. Very welcoming!

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank rh55
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We stayed at this hotel for two nights as part of our American shopping experience. The location was perfect, as the hotel was directly across the street from the mall. The reception staff was friendly and professional. Our room appeared to be updated and the double beds were most comfortable with an assortment of wonderful pillows to choose from. We decided to have breakfast at the hotel and felt it was worth the extra we paid. The attentive nature of the staff was amazing. As soon as you walked into Crumpets, you were seated , poured iced water and offered coffee. There is nothing like sitting down to breakfast served on a linen table cloth and napkins. I definitely did not miss the buffet breakfast offered on plastic plates and cutlery at other name brand hotels. Sometimes, we just need that special attention to make us feel so good.
We will definitely consider this hotel on our next shopping trip to Michigan.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ilga
Worthington, Ohio
Reviewed 3 March 2012

The hotel was very nice, but one thing that bugged me was the old power plug covers. All the rest is modern, but the light switch covers and power plug covers are from the 70's, and kind of stick out like a sore thumb. Also I wish that the shower head was nicer, and that there wasnt a fan directly in front of my face when I shower :D those things aside, it was very nice!

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Hoganator63
Sun City West, AZ
Reviewed 19 January 2012

The Somerset Inn is one of the best hotels we have experienced. The entire staff was most helpful to us during the entirety of our two week stay.
You can't beat the location. Situated across the street from the fashionable Somerset Mall and across the street from the Somerset Apartments which has an excellent walking circle.
The room was very clean and maintained well.
We will definitely stay here again when we visit Michigan from Arizona.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family