“Tremendous! Made us feel good to be Americans!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West Olive
Lakeshore Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 West Olive B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 January 2010

We had the pleasure of staying in the "Ford" room and found the accomodations to be quaint, beautifully appointed and tremendously interesting. The hosts were welcoming, friendly and the the view spectacular. The presidential memorabila was fascinating, the entire home was welcoming, friendly and well worth the expense. Elegant, yet comfortable. We would recommend this B & B to anyone wanting a get-away on beautiful Lake Michigan. We had such a good time we extended our stay an extra day!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 October 2009

My husband and I stayed at Lakeshore Bed and Breakfast for a long weekend to celebrate our birthdays. I have some facts/comments to share but want the reader to make their own decision. First, let’s start with the positives. The property, house, and view were amazing. We didn’t get to spend too much time outside because of rain and it being very chilly, but it was beautiful. It was very clean and very quiet. We were the only guests for the first two nights. We were in the Lincoln Bedroom and got the use of the Kennedy Room as well. It was nice to have the two rooms. There was a fireplace in the Kennedy Room which kept the room very toasty. The location of the Bed and Breakfast was between Holland and Grand Haven. It gave us the chance to explore a few small towns. Our favorites were Holland and Grand Haven. My husband was quite thrilled with the amazing collection of presidential memorabilia displayed throughout the B and B. He found it very interesting and appreciated the owner sharing his prized collection.
Now, for what we believed were negatives, but to some it may not matter. Breakfast. It is called a Bed and Breakfast. Well, here are the facts about the breakfast. Upon arrival, the owner took us to the refrigerator and showed us our breakfast. This consisted of: a bowl of hard boiled eggs, 2 cups of fruit, yogurt, Meijer brand English Muffins, an array of flavored creamers, 2 Jimmy Dean sausage, egg, and cheese biscuits, OJ, and a gallon of ½ percent milk. There were also a few types of Cheerios and a couple of other cereal choices in individual bags. There was also a canister of Biscotti. Coffee was ready every morning and warmed, I believe to be Meijer or Wal-Mart brand muffins. OH, I almost forgot the instant oatmeal that was offered. I ate one cup of fruit the first day and it was not replenished. The last morning there was a fresh fruit salad, well, enough for 2 servings. The place was full at that point. The plain creamer was not replenished so I went without. Personally, I have been to many B & B’s and breakfast is always a fun way to meet the owners and have a nice warm breakfast before starting our day. Since it was cold outside, it would have been nice to have a warm breakfast. Nothing fancy was needed but a little more effort for the price we paid would have been appreciated.
The bathroom towels were very rough, cheap, and small. Suntan lotion, shampoo, and body lotion was provided. I forgot my body wash but Softsoap Anti-bacterial Hand Soap was in the shower to be used as body wash. My thoughts, “Really? Hand Soap for body wash? How much a night did we pay? Could we at least get a travel size body wash?” I will never forget body wash again!!!!
Upon arrival, the owner was very cordial and showed us around. He did ask for a check very soon after we arrived. I found this a bit odd, but we paid. The owner’s wife did come out and greet us also later on that day. I did see the owner one more time the morning we left for about 30 seconds as he brought out the muffins. My husband and I don’t regret staying there, but will not return.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank loveBandB_9
Reviewed 12 August 2009

The proprietors were very friendly and answered questions we had about the place prior to our stay. We were greeted by the owner upon arrival, shown around and told we could call them if we needed anything at all. Both the host and hostess could not have been both more hospitable, while at the same time, less intrusive.

The B and B is lovely: it is furnished beautifully and since the owner is a US president buff, the place if filled with great books and memorabilia of the US presidents. My husband and I stayed with our 2 teenage daughters and were in the Lincoln Suite which was very comfortable.

The lake view is gorgeous and though the beach was somewhat eroded when we were there, we could still enjoy swimming and there were plenty of places to sit or spread out towels. An outdoor shower on the bluff up from the beach was a superb place to clean up after the beach.

Also, the surrounding area is great! A running and bike trail runs for miles both directions from the place and there is a big, clean public beach just a mile and a half south and a beautiful county park (Rosy Mound) 4 miles or so up the beach. Grand Haven itself, about 5 miles north, has lots of nice shops and restaurants, and you can take advantage of a nice walk to the lighthouse.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2009

We had excelent weather for swimming along their beautiful beach. The house has a breathtaking view of lake Michigan. The rooms were nice and clean. The house has historical photographs and items from our presidents. Everything is as advertised and better. We would love stay there again and plan to tell our friends about it too!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank WisCamper
Reviewed 6 July 2009

The B&B website says that they take credit cards, but the owner was very pushy about paying in cash or check. We sent them a check for the deposit on the rooms months in advance . When we arrived, the owner demanded we pay the entire balance withing 5 minutes of walking through the door, even though half of our party was not due to arrive until the next day!
The beds were in terrible condition, not supportive at all. My sister brought an air bed and used it over their sorry pull out bed.
Not all of the rooms have a view of the water as the owner had described to me. There was not alwyas enough hot water for showers and the water pressure was poor.
Not enough bath towels were provided. We just wanted one large towel per guest, and our request for more towels was ignored by the owners.
Breakfast was the worst I have ever experienced. The never changing menu of under cooked muffins from a mix, green bananas, hard boiled eggs with brown-green yokes and fake butter was not to be believed. After the first day, we brought in our own breakfast food, and other guest that were not in our party were eating it! The B&B is surrounded by farms growing fresh fruit, and as it was July, you would think that maybe the owner would stop at one of the 5,000 fruit stands in the area and pick some up local produce for their guests. There are also some great bakeries nearby.
There are plenty of lawn chairs to be had as long as the weather is bad. When the sun comes out, so does the owner, their kids and 20 of their friends. They spend the day lounging near the lakeshore, enoying the water and the beach. Guests are stuck sitting up by the house sitting in dining chairs. Have you ever tried to lounge in a dining chair? It is not easy business. Ihave stayed in many B&B's in the USA and Europe, and this was by far the worst experince ever. I would not recommend this B&B.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
10.6 km away
The Harbor House Inn
The Harbor House Inn
#3 of 9 in Grand Haven

Been to Lakeshore Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!