“Finally somewhere local with perfect fries”

Ubagene Smoke Grill Bakery
Ranked #8 of 25 Restaurants in Poynton
Price range: US$4 - US$24
Description: Quirky family international restaurant with all day dining, with occasion & artisan bakery, 'Dirty sandwiches' wood charred grills & funky goodies
Reviewed April 13, 2017 via mobile

Beautifully crisp, skin on, fluffy in the middle, slightly thicker, fried, real potatoes home made and not greasy French fries - perfect!!! And the brioche hotdog was very tasty too. We love the place and we will be regulars here. The downside desperately understaffed. But be patient it is worth waiting for.

Reviewed March 27, 2017

The people were lovely but really disappointed with over priced meal. I hate to leave a negative review but I felt cheated. Not told there was a set menu on mother's day & it was £25 per head with a £10 surcharge for an 8oz steak. I had chosen this restaurant based on trip advisor recommendations so my mum could try some of the gourmet burgers or have a steak & I did check about set menus & wasn't told about it. We had travelled 10+ miles and chosen somewhere near garden centre and mum was starving so decided to stay despite the cost. Starters were great - potato skins and salmon mousse. Not a great choice of mains & my main was grim - a very overdone dry & small half chicken & Yorkshire pudding & 3 small well done & greasy roast potatoes. Not really edible - I managed to scrape a bit of dry chicken breast out of the carcass & eat the potatoes & then found a short black hair under the potatoes (I have long hair so it wasn't mine). I think they were relying on no complaints because it was mother's day and they were right - I didn't want to make a disappointing meal worse and risk upsetting my mum. Mum said her steak was ok but not sure whether she was just being nice because it was supposed to be a treat. Seasonal vegetables were ok but not as healthy as I would have liked and carrots weren't cooked so couldn't eat them. Creamed cabbage & broccoli/cauli cheese. We had assumed plain steamed veggies, should have checked I suppose. Desserts were nice but small portion. At £78 Inc a bottle of wine i spent much more than expected for what should have been a lovely meal. Its the first time I've written a bad review but the cost and poor quality made me want to warn others. It's a shame, they were lovely people. They asked how the starters were but not the main!, The waitress just shrugged about the hair (which I left on the plate so they could see it). Thus the low score for service.

Karl B, Owner at Ubagene Smoke Grill Bakery, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2017

Hi,
Thank you for leaving a review of Ubagene. Although I'm upset you didn't have a nice time.
I took all the bookings for mothers day and remember taking yours. I'm sorry I want clear enough on the set menu though I made sure I told everyone as is written on top of the diary page for mothers day.
If only was brought to our attention on the day. I personally went round to very table and there wasnt one issue mentioned to me.
We decided to do the traditional Sunday dinner menu as this is what the vast majority wanted and so for this we decided that it would be a big waste having the main menu on.
I'm sorry you found your chicken over done. I personally found the vegetables not over cooked but just right but your right, defiantly not steamed as this kills all flavour and nutrients.
We won't be do menu like this often so please come a try our main menu as your right again, they are worth travelling for. And to make it a little better please accept 20% of your food when booking. I hope this hasn't put you off trying again.

Reviewed March 21, 2017 via mobile

The food is good, there's no getting away from that, I feel the menu combination is wrong and they need to find themselves. There's nothing stopping us from returning though, we all enjoyed our meals.

1  Thank Evelyn S
Reviewed March 18, 2017

popped in by chance today and think ive stumble across a hidden gem, big menu with lots of choice but all home made fresh produce on a par with any top diner in Manchester, really nice vibe with some great craft beers,the owner greeted me and couldn't of made me feel more welcome you can see his passion for the business, what really struck me was how it was quiet however the weatherspoons over the road was full, how anyone can eat that microwave mass produce rubbish with such great homemade food on offer over the road I don't no, good luck to the owner and the team hopefully in time word will spread and the people of Poynton will see the light. I will be back.

Reviewed March 12, 2017

Needed to be in Poynton and, on the basis of TA reviews decided to give UBAgene a go. Lunchtime is never the best to give an idea of somewhere’s atmosphere but the service was pleasant and the food, and the draught Stevens Point, very nice. The Yo mama so hot burger was a bit of a meat feast and very fulfilling; the Doghouse up in Smoke was also very nice and both were accompanied by sweet potato fries, as an alternative to conventional fries. About £17 a head for a fulfilling lunch with a pint and a coffee. Deserts were offered but there simply wasn’t any space for one. I'm sure the decor and menus, which are a bit low-key at the moment, will be spruced up as they become more established.