“Not a roach motel but not the greatest.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Northwood Inn and Suites

Northwood Inn and Suites
Ranked #43 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
Des Moines, Iowa
“Not a roach motel but not the greatest.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

We had no idea what we were getting into when we reserved this hotel room online. Upon check-in, the people were friendly. The lobby was very small. So was the room. The hotel was very old and run down but served its purpose for us.

We didn't get all we said we would with our room. No coffee pot, no iron or ironing board. We had 1 bath towel in our room.

The room was clean but presented difficulty walking around the bed because the lack of room. The sheets were soft and the bed was like brand new.

The bathroom was super tiny only providing us with a stand up shower, not a full bathroom like we were offered.

We also got a smoking room (which is not what we wanted) so EVERYTHING needed washed when we got home because of the smell.

Pool was in a different building! The idea of walking across the parking lot when it's only 40 degrees at night wasn't too entising.

Very close access to Mall of America, Ikea and the highway although you couldn't hear any of the traffic in the room.

We really only needed a place to sleep. If that's all you are needing or looking for at an inexpensive rate, this would be good.

Room Tip: If you have an extra $20 a night to spend, go somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Fargo, North Dakota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

My Sister reserved this room online. We tried to check in around 10:00pm. First they tried to tell us that they had no rooms with 2 beds and would bring in a roll away from the boiler room. When we got to the room everyone that walked in the room said how it smelled like pee. We decided there was no way we would spend the night in that room. Since it was the only room they had left, we went to a different hotel. We will not be staying in this hotel ever again and cannot recomend it to anyone.

Room Tip: stay in a different hotel.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Beowulfthedane
northwoodinnandsuite, Webmaster at Northwood Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Northwood Inn and Suites. I am so sorry that you experienced the unpleasantness of which you have informed us. Immediate steps have been taken to have these things looked into and dealt with properly.

Upon receipt of your review, the following action was taken:

• I appreciate your calling our attention to the problems with the Smell of pee. We took immediate steps to have these problems looked into.

• The housekeeping staff received additional training regarding the level of cleanliness expected of them as our employees.

Thank you for your help in meeting these standards by reporting what you experienced. I think that you will find your next stay at Northwood Inn and Suites to be a much pleasant one.

Winnipeg
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

I am staying here because I wanted to take my kids on a little holiday without breaking the bank. The best thing going for the place is location, as we have found it very easy to get to the MN Zoo and MOA.

Other than that I am pretty creeped out by most of the characters that I have seen around here. My husband is at home working so I am on my own here with a 1 yr old, 5 yr old and 6 yr old. There was a weird guy leering at all of us from the balcony as we walked through the parking lot yesterday. The bathtub drain does not work. Kids love to be on the carpets and they are FILTHY and very old.

I selected the place based on 3 criteria: (1) price; (2) Internet access so I could keep in touch with home; and (3) a bar fridge so that we could stock healthy foods. We are happy that it is cheap, and I have found the Internet to work really well and fast. The bar fridge either freezes or melts everything, but that is the usual for motel rooms.

We needed food in the fridge because their "continental breakfast" is absolutely revolting, a little packaged danish thing that I would hate to feed my kids. There is a Walmart very close by - you could walk there - so that helps a lot.

However, I worry about keeping any food here because it is infested with little red ants. As I sat on the floor with the kids they started to crawl all over us, and now they are even in our car! I worry that they will come home with us. I asked the desk staff about it and they said that the place had just been sprayed for them, He asked for my room number but to my knowledge nothing has been done.

Hosuekeeping staff does not refill things like paper cups. Should we have to ask?

They also knew that I was coming alone with 3 kids. I phoned and asked if there would be a playpen for the baby to sleep in and they said no. So I put one in my tiny car, and lo and behold when I got here, they actually did provide one. It actually looks quite new and in good condition. But now the kids' legs are getting squished by this playpen during our ride.

They also put me on the second floor, so I had to make umpteen trips upstair to bring in bags etc., leaving the kids alone sleeping in the car late at night.

Yuck. Next time I will pay more even if I cannot afford it!!! I am not a terribly difficult to please person, realy, but this place is gross. The staff were all friendly, though.

We used the pool - why is it hot water???

Love the city, though! Great activities for families here.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mythreebabies

Upon receipt of your review, the following action was taken:

• I appreciate your calling our attention to the problems with the Ants. We took immediate steps to have these problems looked into.

• Maintenance was informed of the problem you experienced with the Carpet and bar fridge in the room assigned to you and instructed to see to its replacement.

North Mankato, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

Front desk was helpful and friendly. Room was small but clean and had a frig, microwave and coffee maker. Convenience store across the street and close to the Mall of America.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Peru, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2011

This looks like the kind of hotel that should be charging by the hour, but you don't see that until you see it in person after you've already committed to staying here.
There are people hanging out on the balconies and in the parking lot at all hours of the night and day - If this place weren't so overpriced, I would say they were drug addicts, because they sure looked like you could buy a dime bag off of any one of them.

The parking SUCKS because they offer a park and fly service - which doesn't leave nearly enough parking for the guests at the hotel. So when we got back from a movie at 11:30 at night, you have to be very creative with where you park.

The room seems clean, but the hallways are reminiscent of a 40 year old college dorm building. I was instantly reminded of moving in to my dorm room on my first day of college.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank philforthenewworld

Upon receipt of your review, the following action was taken:

• Management and security staff was advised of your report that you find People which you felt as drug addicts was being hanging on the premises.

• Management was approached about the possibility of marking the parking area in such a way that guests would know what area went with the hotel.

Bloomington, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2011

The location is prime. I enjoyed the location because it was close to the mall and many restaurants. I did also enjoy the swimming pool.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
rockford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2011

This place will take you back in time a bit. Once we pulled up my girlfriend looked a bit scared. It was like Sams used car lot with a shady feeling to it. With more time at the end of the day I would have tried to get a different place but we didnt' so we stayed. The lobby is very very small and breakfest is coffee and rolls. The service desk people were friendly and the cleaning lady did a good job with the room and brought us extra coffee packets for the 1 cup at a time coffee maker. With zero expectations after pulling up, we were pleased with the overall experience (from an older school perspective). We had two nights booked and later added a third night. Didn't see the pool so I can't say - we would have had to walk through the parking lot to get there (too cold).
Pros: Comfortable bed, very strong wifi, mostly clean room (1 pube at the top of the shower), flat screen t.v. with cable, helpful service, 2 minute drive to the Mall of America, right on 494 exit, hot shower, fairly sound proof walls.
Cons: Creepy parking set-up, phone case broke, the pube, cheap breakfeast, tiny bathroom.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rino5611
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bloomington
0.1 km away
0.4 km away
Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Airport Mall of America
1.6 km away
La Quinta Inn Minneapolis Airport Bloomington

Been to Northwood Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!