“Overall a nice stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
La Crosse, Wisconsin
“Overall a nice stay”
Reviewed 4 March 2012

The good: customer service from the front desk - they allowed us to check-in way early, which was great! They were friendly the entire time. The room was nice, but the bathrooms are very small. There was a little cleaning to do on the walls (coffee or pop stains - I hope).

We bought a package that included some MOA stuff and breakfast buffet in the morning. The only thing I didn't like was when the waiter in the restaurant asked me if we had buffet coupons. As soon as I said yes, he went and grabbed our bill and never really acknowledged us again, as if we were freeloaders or something. That rubbed me the wrong way. Typically I'm a 20-25% tipper, but I just couldn't do it this time. I could only pony up 10% and my wife thought that was too much.

Anyways, that was the only bad part. Everything else was good and I would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wisconsin
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Last time we flew, we stayed at the Hampton Inn very close to this hotel. The Hampton Inn advertised a "stay and fly/park" for x$ which included 7 days of parking. The Hilton was a little more but had no cap on their parking (per their website). When I checked in, I was told that they would charge us $15 to park each and every day. I calmly explained the above to the gentleman at the counter. He indicated to me that if they allowed people to park there while they were on vacation, everyone would do it. DAH.............you are 2 miles from an international airport. What do you expect and why in the world does your sister property advertise and encourage same? In the end, they charged us $45 to park there. Keep in mind would have been $15 at the sister property.
Now, here is the real skinny. Not only is The Hampton Inn cheaper, cleaner, but they are newer and offer a much better park and fly deal.
As to my room at the Hilton - here is a bit of fact. There was water damage on the ceiling in the bathroom. We were on the 9th floor and I went to get water out of the vending machine and it was out of service as was the 8th floor as was the 7th floor. Finally got my water on the 6th floor.
Why anyone would stay here is beyond me. When I began reviewing for TA, I thought I would never write a poor review, but this place has me so MAD, I can't help myself.
By the way, I am a Hilton Honors Member who holds a Hilton Honors Visa. After this stay, I will no longer be Hilton loyal, but rather will be checking out the Marriot. Shame on you Hilton.

Room Tip: Go to the Hampton Inn next door
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank JamaicaJoleen
MIDWEST
Reviewed 25 February 2012

The hotel was packed with two large conventions on the night I stayed. The two desk clerks seemed inexperienced, as did the waitress in the restaurant. The first room they gave me, for $179/night, was right next to the very loud "mechanicals". Upon my request, a room higher up and very quiet was substituted. The room itself was lovely and comfortable, easy to sleep in. The bathroom is small for a fancy hotel, requiring one to step aside to close the door. Restaurant has a large opening to the bar. I could hear the happy drinkers laughing it up when all I wanted was a quiet dinner. I asked the host to seat me away from the noisy bar. So he seated me at a table next to a private dining room of noisy people, separated by a large curtain. Can you say "awkward"? The wireless internet in the room and the computers in the Business Center were both slow as molasses, taking over a minute to load up any one page. When I reported it, the desk clerk claimed that no one else had told them that. The wireless was faster in the daytime. Shuttle drivers were true gentlemen, and pleasant, safe drivers.

Room Tip: Get a floor above the 5th floor to avoid the machinery sounds
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Lilygal
Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States
Reviewed 24 February 2012

my son and i were on an extended stay while visiting the mayo clinic in rochester. the general manager was very helpful in getting us a great rate and a very comfortable hotel room during a very stressful situation. we were able to have a nice weekend in minneapolis before returning back to the mayo clinic. the room was clean and comfortable. the executive lounge was an added treat and the hot tubs were relaxing. the front desk staff was helpful and courteous and we found the shuttle drivers to be a great help in getting us to the light rail and airport. if we found ourselves in the area again, we would definitely stay here again and recommend it to those traveling here to visit the mall of america.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MelindaGipson
Woodbury, Minnesota
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I stayed here over the weekend for a function. The rooms were clean and comfortable. It lives up to the Hilton standards. The rooms seem a little smaller, but I guess this hotel is geared towards business travelers. The front desk staff is cheery and helpful. There are shuttles to the airport and the mall of America. It has a smaller size pool and a work out room. Very nice overall.

Room Tip: Some suites on the lower floors (3rd) have a poor view out the window.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank gbpackerfan62
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I really enjoyed my stay. It was a very clean room and the pillows were so comfortable! Airport shuttle was very convenient. The staff was great! Great business hotel!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Esko, Minnesota
Reviewed 21 February 2012

located close to both the Mall of America and both airports is this gem...really reasonable rates, clean, resturant on grounds as well as indoor pool.Free airpoprt shuttle, in room coffe, the only draw back here is the very small bathroom and toilet area.....outside sink area by the bathroom is nice.....excellent beds, flat screen tv...I stay here all the time....easy to get to , love this place.

Room Tip: call early and the freindly staff will do their best to accomodate you.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends