“Nice rooms, breakfast and staff...but...”

La Quinta Inn Minneapolis Airport Bloomington
Ranked #38 of 42 Hotels in Bloomington
Northbrook, IL
“Nice rooms, breakfast and staff...but...”
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We've stayed here several times and the only problems have been with noise from dogs. LaQuinta is pet-friendly but we don't like to hear dogs barking in the night. This time I specifically asked for a room not near pets. We got a room that had no other rooms with adjacent walls. However, a dog was howling down the hall and we had to request a different room. I've suggested on two visits that either pets be confined to one area, or guests that don't like to hear pets be confined to one area. I deducted a rating point for this issue.

The exhaust fan in the bathroom was not working. Their maid is in the room every day and should have reported it to maintenance.

The morning breakfast is good with make-your-own waffles, 2 or 3 kinds of cereal, fresh fruit, yogurt, bagels, sweet rolls, juice, and hard-boiled eggs.

Room Tip: No elevator so if you have trouble with stairs ask for first floor. If you don't smoke ask for a...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Ed60062

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 20 December 2011

Check in was fast, desk staff was friendly. The rooms are comfortable with flat screen tv's and nice beds. The room also had a small fridge and a microwave which was great! The location is right next to 494, walking distance to Sam's Club, a liquor store, next to Culvers. I would definitely stay here again. I didn't get up early enough for breakfast, but it was offered from 6-9 a.m.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that is on the south side of the building as the freeway is on the north side.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lolo4815
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 7 December 2011

No more. Nope, not going to do it.

Here's why:
1. I've stayed here 10 times. Each time the van takes at least 40 minutes to arrive at the airport after calling. Twice it took over an hour: the receptionist just forgot to tell the driver to pick me up! I get the feeling that the front desk staff has a standard answer of "20 minutes" to arrive at the airport without even checking or calling the driver.

2. This is one of the few hotels left that has smoking rooms. The problem is no matter where you are in the hotel you can smell cigarette smoke. It even permeates the towels, sheets and bedding.

3. Rooms not as clean as they could be. This hotel is very busy and sees a lot of guests. However, the carpets always seemed to need to be vacuumed and I always find hair in the floor or shower

4. No elevator! I always requested a first floor room and got it twice out of ten stays. That means hauling 60 - 70 pounds of gear up the stairs. That's just annoying. I get my exercise at home, I don't need to pay to get it at a hotel.

So that's it. I will have to say that the staff is very helpful, but unfortunately that can't compensate for negatives at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank DeltaSkyKing
Owatonna, Minnesota
Reviewed 25 November 2011

We have stayed at this location over 8 times in the past 2 yr. Everytime was great. All of the staff is very helpful. Heather at the Front Desk, is always cheerful and very helpful. The hotel has free shuttles, and will deliver and pick you up from area resturants, & MOA. In the past, we tried many different hotels, when flying out of Mpls. Now that we have found this location, we stay here everytime, and recommend it to others. If you are looking for a place stay for a night or two, without all the extra fancies, this is the place.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Carl W
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Reviewed 19 November 2011

This is the first time we stayed at a La Quinta. We needed to leave our car while we flew out of country for 3 weeks; the Park & Fly program was great. I booked our flights so we didn't have to leave too early, and we also stayed a night when we got back. The shuttle was really excellent, with friendly drivers, and even though we stayed longer than the week per stay usually allowed for a Park & Fly, they made us a very good price for the additional week. Yes, the hotel is older, and it's quite a way from a good restaurant, but for the value, we were more than happy. The staff were all very nice, and the breakfast bar was really good. It was pretty quiet for being just off the highway. The bed was decent, the room was warm, the shower was great (especially after using a Guatemalan one for 3 weeks!), they gave us a free newspaper, our car was still there when we got back, what more could you want. Next time we have to fly out of MSP, we'll definitely do this again. It was a lot cheaper and more relaxing than leaving the car at the airport. (If you want a good restaurant without driving too far, just head east on the frontage road past Walmart, until you get to the Comfort Inn. There is an excellent Outback Steakhouse there.)

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Cedar Falls, Iowa
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Once again i needed to make an overnight trip to the Minneapolis area. I tried my luck though priceline again and ended up staying at this hotel. From previous trips to this area I knew of the hotel, but never stayed there. The hotel itself is rather old in comparisons to the various other hotels in the area which appear newer, and baised on a few of the comments left here and some of the coments by friends about the Bloomington area I was a little concerned.

When I arrived I was greeted by the hotel lobby staff, and was taken care of rather quickly which I appreciate the quickness. Despite the looks from outside the hotel is rather nice on the inside. The hotel itself was clean, the updated room was modern and spacious with a king size bed, loveseat, desk, refrigerator and microwave. I have paid more at other "nicer" hotels without the ammenities of a microwave and refrigerator which I enjoy having in my room whenever I travel. The bed was comfortable and the hotel was quiet.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
New Ulm, Minnesota
Reviewed 14 November 2011

Although this is an older property (former Baymont), the La Quinta franchise has aggressively remodeled the rooms and updated the furnishings. Since 2005, I have booked & escorted numerous tour groups from Germany & outstate Minnesota in this hotel. All were satisfied with the service and accommodations. They don't expect reading lamps or room service, or rooms with a view, just a clean bed & shower. Staff is friendly & helpful as promptly as is possible. Very accommodating to special requests. A Radisson or Sheraton it is not, but I would rate this La Quinta higher than Days Inn - Super 8 type motels. Continental breakfast is average, but then I don't stay at this hotel for the breakfast. This hotel offers shuttle service to MSP airport & Mall of America. Easy access to Minneapolis/St. Paul freeway system. I will stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bloomington
5.6 km away
1.9 km away
Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Airport Mall of America
0.9 km away
Four Points by Sheraton Mall of America Minneapolis Airport

Been to La Quinta Inn Minneapolis Airport Bloomington? Share your experiences!