“Christmas Party”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in West Boldon
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Christmas Party”
Reviewed 30 January 2013

We went to this hotel for a christmas party. The hotel was full and it struggled to manage with the amount of guest. Food wasn't the best. Most of use got our food later so when the entertainment was on we were still eating. Our other guests got no desert at all. After paying for a three course meal, i would expect to get the three courses. We were drinking cocktails. They even managed to get that wrong but no way i was waiting in another queue for 20 mins plus. The staff are not very friendly. If you have a complaint with this hotel forget it.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank mackem_uk
Paolo F, General Manager at Quality Hotel Boldon, responded to this review, 31 January 2013
Dear Mackem_UK,

I am extremely disappointed you did not enjoy your interaction with the Quality Hotel. We always encourage feedback whether negative or positive.

Whilst this appears to be an isolated case, I have had a brief discussion with Peter Dawson, our Food & Beverage Manager. He has assured me that your comments regarding the Christmas Party have been very constructive and will take action upon them to ensure that this does not happen again.

I would like to thank you for your email and feedback, it has been duly noted and as promised, will personally take action upon it to do my very best to ensure this situation does not arise again.

I hope you will agree that your experience was not typical of our usual high levels of service and I would like to thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience with us, also for your very constructive criticism.

Regards,

Paolo Franchi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2013

I stayed at this hotel recently with my partner, and on the whole, had a very pleasant stay. I booked the hotel online, and chose the room only option. On check in, we weren't offered the option of adding breakfast to our stay for an additional cost, which was a little bit disappointing - most other hotels do offer you the option to add it when you arrive, in case you have changed your mind. The room itself was clean and a reasonable size, although the window was missing a pull handle at the bottom, meaning the window wouldn't shut properly and there was quite a draft coming through the window all night - given the recent cold weather, that wasn't brilliant and we ended up having to keep the curtains shut all day to keep the draft out. There was no shower gel in the bathroom, only a very small bar of soap, although this wasn't a big problem as we had brought our own anyway. There was no listing of t.v channels in the room which always comes in handy, but again, not a major issue as I guess most people don't stay at the hotel to watch the t.v. We decided to have a meal in the hotel restaurant on the evening, and as we had been advised the restaurant was fully booked from 8pm onwards, we went for our meal at 7.30pm - when we left the restaurant an hour later, there was only one other couple in there. The gentleman who took our order was really friendly and polite, can't knock the staff at all really. I ordered a steak and home made chips - they were clearly frozen when they arrived, and I wasn't brought a steak knife - I had to ask for one, only to be told they probably didn't have any - surely steak knives in a steak restaurant are important?! Luckily, the chef had one I could borrow but I do think this is something that should be rectified - it's not easy trying to cut steak with an ordinary knife! The main thing that disappointed me with the restaurant is that there was dirty cutlery on our table - the setting of tables and making sure they are presented properly should be of utmost importance - dirty cutlery isn't a good way of attracting customers back.

Overall though, our stay was pleasant, and we would probably come back and stay again, if only to use the facilities in the new gym and pool, which looked fantastic

Room Tip: Book online - the rooms were £10 cheaper online than they were over the telephone
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ladys1986
Paolo F, General Manager at Quality Hotel Boldon, responded to this review, 29 January 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I do appreciate your valuable feedback. I am delighted that you found the staff friendly and polite and will return. Your comments have been noted and will be addressed immediately.

I would like to discuss this in more detail with you; I hope you will contact me direct at the hotel.

Warmest Regards,

Oxford
Reviewed 14 January 2013

The rooms have obviously been updated recently and are quite comfortable. The only downsides to my stay was that I had requested a double room, but was given a twin room and the room was cold. As there were very few guests staying that night then surely they could have given me the room that was requested and ensured that the room was warm upon my arrival.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank RHHM
Paolo F, General Manager at Quality Hotel Boldon, responded to this review, 14 January 2013
RHHM,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am so pleased you found our newly refurbished bedrooms comfortable. Please allow me to apologise for the issues you had with your room and any inconvenience you may have experienced. Rest assured, your feedback will be reviewed and will be used for improvements. Your comments are very important to us as this gives us the avenue to improve our property and rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.
Thank you for staying with us and I hope you will return soon!

Kind Regards,

Wimborne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2013

Stayed at this hotel twice over the christmas holiday period in 2012. Rooms are very comfortable. The facilities are spot on, the staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The only minor downer is the bar prices.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Rob551721
Dear Rob,

Thanks for your review, whilst I am really glad you enjoyed your stays with us over the festive period, your comment has been noted. I hope you will visit us again soon - please let me know if you choose re-book in the future!

Kind Regards,

Muscat, Oman
Reviewed 20 December 2012

I stayed at this hotel 27th Oct 2012 and had a terrible night after a group of drunken people (adults) who hadn't paid to stay at the hotel kicked doors, shouted abuse, scared my children and slept in the halls. I went to phone reception only to find that the telephones didn't work. The member of staff on shift that night did nothing to resolve the problem and the police weren't called. The following morning I stepped over people sleeping in the hallways and joined the queue of fellow travellers who were all raising the same complaint. The receptionist informed us that she could not do a refund but the management would do this due to our poor experience of their hotel.

My request for a refund has fallen on deaf ears, I have been insulted & disgusted by the attitude of management (mainly the General Manager Mr [--]) as he has insisted on me enjoying their hotel by offering me a complimentary nights stay.

I DON'T WANT ANOTHER NIGHT AT YOUR HOTEL! All I wanted was a refund.

Refurb or not, don't stay here. If you have any problems they will be met by the same disgraceful outcome as mine! I contacted Choice Hotels and they were helpful in forcing a response from the hotel but that;s as far as it goes.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Dave H
Paolo F, General Manager at Quality Hotel Boldon, responded to this review, 6 January 2013
Dear Dave H,

Thank you for your review, as you know I was disappointed to hear that the Quality Hotel Boldon did not meet your expectations due to noise from other guests staying at the hotel over the weekend concerned.

I am glad we have now reached a conclusion and I can only apologise once again with great sincerity for the fact this sequence of events has resulted in you leaving the hotel dissatisfied, please rest assured that you were valued guests and it was certainly not our intention to give you any other impression.

As we discussed via email, it has been duly noted and I will take action upon it to do my very best to ensure this situation does not arise again. I hope you will agree that your experience was not typical of the high level of service that we strive to deliver each day, and I would like to thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience with us, also for your very constructive criticism.

Yours sincerely,

Tyne and Wear
Reviewed 19 December 2012

I brought my Fiancé here for our anniversary and I couldn't have picked a better hotel. We were advised to visit the hotel by a close friend who uses the leisure facilities. The decor is very modern throughout and the breakfast was lovely, a nice buffet with excellent service. This hotel is affordable, we will be staying here again for sure. After visiting the hotel we also decided to cancel another local fitness membership we have had for 4 years to join here, the joint membership is great value for money and all the equipment is top of the range and always kept nipping clean.

Definitely worth a try you will not be disappointed!!!

Room Tip: All the Rooms Im sure will be excellent which ever you choose
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Paolo F, General Manager at Quality Hotel Boldon, responded to this review, 10 January 2013
Hi AmyBaker22,

Congratulations on your anniversary! Really glad you like the hotel - keep an eye on our facebook page 'Quality Hotel Boldon' and Twitter '@QHBoldon' for some fantastic events this year.

Look forward to seeing you soon,

Reviewed 19 December 2012

Visited with the family for the Santa Sunday Lunch. Had a fabulous day! New hotel looks amazing after the refurbishment, and the staff are efficient and friendly.
Food was beautiful and the children had a great time having their face painted, watching the balloon modelling and of course the visit from father Christmas. Will definitely be back in the New Year

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank Ruth1201
Paolo F, General Manager at Quality Hotel Boldon, responded to this review, 20 December 2012
Dear Ruth,

Thanks for your fantastic review. Looking forward to seeing you in the New Year!

Regards,

5.6 km away
Sir William Fox Hotel
Sir William Fox Hotel
#5 of 5 in South Shields

Been to Quality Hotel Boldon? Share your experiences!