“Weird”

Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed August 2, 2017

Showed up on a Saturday morning for breakfast:

What we liked:

1. Charming exterior and interior diner décor
2. We were greeted by the nicest smiling lady at the door
3. We like eating in a booth; there are lots of booths
4. We liked the long counter--true diner style
5. Clean restrooms (at least the women's room was clean)
6. Reasonable prices
7. No loud music to drown out conversation
8. The breakfast was delicious

What we didn't like:

1. No written menus. There is a cryptic sign above the diner counter with slangy names for different plates. You have to wait till your waiter has time to visit your table and stand there and interpret the slang for you. And you have to memorize what he said in order to submit your order.
2. We would have far preferred to have a simple printed menu to peruse at our own pace; not being able to peruse on our own was irksome. I don't want to spend the morning with my waiter getting a lesson in diner lingo. I just want breakfast and to be left alone to enjoy it. Don't misconstrue this frankness: Our waiter was wonderful, friendly and informative, but having the waiter get so involved and for so long at our table practically makes it a threesome.
3. Several of the breakfast orders had unique items in them such as jalapenos, etc. I don't remember which was which; again, the waiter rattled them all off. Few seemed appealing because of the funky additions.

Would we return? We both say no. NOTE: Delta Diner doesn't allow tipping. They add a 20% tip to all meal orders and distribute this surcharge among all employees, not just wait staff.

Reviewed July 28, 2017

Menu changes somewhat but the dishes are always a treat. This time I ordered the breakfast with Salmon. It was prepared perfectly. The ladies our party ordered the Half Denny. Just right for smaller appetites.

Reviewed July 22, 2017 via mobile

Camping in Washburn,WI at Memorial Park & decided to try Delta Diner after fellow campers indicated it was a must see. We stopped on way home and were not disappointed. Norwegian hot cakes were delicious. Good sized portions. Had half order of the Lucky Denny with order of bacon. Bill was about $24 ...would go again Had to wait about 35 minutes for counter seats. Beautiful drive from Washburn and also to Drummond.

Reviewed July 22, 2017

Every year I stay with friends in Hayward as to ride in the Firehouse 50 bicycle race. A rèquirement of my 5 day visit is going to the Delta Diner twice. The Pedro Max Benny is incredible among other great things on the menu. I am heading back up there on August 1st from Illinois and looking forward to Delta Diner !!!!

Reviewed July 14, 2017 via mobile

We have heard about this place for years from friends who live in the area. The Delta Dinner is very unique to the Northwoods and well worth the trip. Located in an area of rolling hills covered by hardwood forests and dotted with beautiful lakes the drive alone is worth the trip but, in addition to that, you have this wonderful little gem. The building itself is great, conforming to the typical dinner style of years gone by, or at least my idealized vision of that style. The interior was very clean, the waitstaff friendly and food was very good. We had breakfast on a Friday morning and there was no wait. I didn't think the prices were that bad and I didn't mind the 20% add on. The portions were generous and, let's face it, you're paying a little bit for the experience. (Think of it as entertainment). Any way, loved this place and would highly recommend it.