“Exceeded My Expectations”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Crosby
Nordic Inn Medieval Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Crosby B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Exceeded My Expectations”
Reviewed 14 July 2011

I have to admit up front, I am a review reader yet also an adventurer. So... when I read the reviews about the Nordic Inn, I was a bit skeptical given the mixed nature of the public opinion. Once I called to make a reservation and spoke with Steinarr (the owner) I decided to book a room for the evening of July 13th, 2011. He began to tell me about the Viking meaning of the number 13 and from there, the adventure began. I normally stay at Hilton properties (points and all) but there are none in the area near Crosby and I needed a place to sleep for the night and I was not interested in the local Motel 8, 6, 5, or 13.

Upon arrival I was greeted by Thor, a big big but gentle and kind dog along with a few of his friends. Truth be told, I am not a dog lover, in fact since some bad experiences during childhood, I do not take kindly to big dogs. Funny enough, these dogs are a joy. They keep to themselves and play with each other. In fact, Thor came up a few times and layed his head on my leg likely wanting food or just affection, but he just stayed there. If I wanted him to go, I moved my leg and he went on to explore something else. What a cool pup.

I made it to my room initially and what a beautiful place. I admit that I was a bit nervous with the introduction and initial conversations but then I took a look around. A ton of thought, hard work, and sweat was put into converting a church to a bed and brew and it was blatantly obvious (not to mention money... wow). From the fresh wood walls and floors to the Viking based decor and stained glass windows... the wood bar, tree trunk stools... I could go on and on. BTW... I stayed in Odin's Loft, the big Viking Ship hovering above the lobby... way cool.

Steinarr made an announcement at 6:31PM that appetizers would be served at 7:00PM and dinner at 8:00PM. I responded with "that would be great, thanks".

About 7:00PM I was greeted by Salina (Sorry if I have spelled your name incorrectly), a delightful young women who placed appetizers on the bar and invited me to come and eat. I did and they were really good. It was a mix of carrots, cellery, tomatoes and dipping sauces along with a strange looking sausage. (strange because I have never seen anything like it) I was leary at first but tried it anyway. Boy was it good. It was a veggie sausage of some kind but really spicy and really tasty. I can only assume it was Viking in nature as this place aims to not only please their guests, but to keep the experience authentic.

Steinarr and I got to talking throughout the evening and I really learned alot about Viking history... I mean a lot! This guy has read his books, websites, scrolls and whatever else. There wasnt an artifact that I asked about thet he didnt spend 10 minutes discussing and by the way, he doesnt just discuss, he entertains along the way. I can see how some reviewers would take offense or be takin aback (SP?) about his personality... but you have to remember one thing, you booked a room at the Nordic Inn, run by a Viking. If you dont come in with an open mind and ready to meet a Viking, then you did not read his website. His aim is authenticity, remember that... its a lot of fun.

He personally spent his entire evening on me having some Mead (really good by the way, first time tryer, life long likey) and beers. Funny throughout yet reserved enough to understand his guests.

As I stated in the beginning, I wasnt sure what to think while booking, and even when I arrived at the Nordic Inn. What I CAN tell you is this... it was worth the trip and the memorys!

Thanks Steinarr and Salina (SP? sorry) for an evening of adventure, good conversation, excellent food, Mead, a comfortable bed and accomdations, and most of all great company.

Best regards,

Aaron

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank AaronAJ

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 May 2011

The inn is a great idea, a wonderful potential for adventure. Nice town, nice people for the most part. Unfortunately the inn is getting a little run down and needs some upkeep. The innkeeper is ok for a short evening but gets a little overbearing and stays loud. We preferred the food at the place down the street after seeing the inn's kitchen. Great location in the middle of the lakes area. It would be a better deal if the price reflected a) the shappiness of the inn and b) the tediousness of the innkeeper.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
7 Thank CarolineMae
Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed 18 March 2011

The host was awesome he did a great job at keeping my girlfriend and I entertained with some Viking entertainment. We were there during the week and were the only ones so we missed out on some of the group activities. The food was amazing for supper and breakfast. The main thing is the Nordic Inn truly goes the distance to create a unique experience you’ll never forget and I look forward to returning.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fdandy7
Colorado Springs
Reviewed 6 January 2011

The worst part was the brown water, the toilet seat that falls off and the shower curtain rods not attached and falling down. We did not use the hot tub once we saw the condition and water. We arrived at 4 PM and the hotel was not prepared for us. We were told that we would be treated to an adventure stay and instead we were handed excuses over and over again. Too many orders to fill for Christmas, or normally we would do this or that. Dinner was not served until after 9 PM and was expensive. Ice not available ever. I think it may be better when the owner is not so busy with Christmas. Too bad cause we drove almost 3 hours just to stay there.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank FunTravel_11
Montrose, Minnesota
Reviewed 14 July 2010

My new husband and I had spent part of our honeymoon here and had a fantastic time. We were the only guests in the inn so there were no games, but Steinarr sat with us most of the time and we greatly enjoyed the conversation and beer and mead, and the food was incredible! I can't tell you the last time I ate so well. The decor is great and I can't tell you what a great impression Steinarr and Thor made as they opened the door. We will definitely take our friends back, but it may not be for everyone. The jokes are bawdy, but I laughed nonetheless and we loved our stay.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ZephyrMarie
Baxter, Minnesota
Reviewed 16 May 2010

This is not a vacation, it's truly an escape. From the time you pull the large iron chain to gain entrance with your password... to saying good bye, you are in another place and time. You will be swept away as you dress, eat, sleep, and even pay for your mead the way the Vikings did. The Innkeeper is a walking, talking, real life viking, full of stories, history, jokes, laughter and fun. I was there about 1 hour and was already asking for openings because I'm coming back and I'm bringing all my friends. The food was incredible! It is an experience I will never forget. Each room is different, some more elaborate than others but that is just a part of the experience. I've been to fancy resorts where I've had steam baths and massages....but walked away from this get away more relaxed and renewed than ever. Laughter truly is the best medicine. We stayed in the room where the bed is in a large viking ship that cantalvers over the main area. It is a huge room with a temporpedic bed, 4 person spa bath, benches, desk, warrior fighting sheids and a stockade...just in case you might need one. There were smaller very affordable rooms so even if you are on a budget you can have this experience! You will still be treated to a hearty viking breakfast.....you know it's time to eat after two blasts of the horn. There are several options for the evenings. We played a medival game gathering wisdom & swords all while trying to keep your krona (money) so you have enough left to buy an ale when you're done...or some of the best root beer I've ever had!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tonipap
Reedsville
Reviewed 29 October 2009

The Kraze E Viking was totally great! He is an awsome host, cook and knows viking history. We learned a lot from him. The rooms are great!! The game was fun as long as you have an open mind and time. The place is a lot for one man to do, but we felt Steinarr does the best he can. THOR rocks!! Come with an open mind, warm heart and let yourself be a viking and you will enjoy your stay! Just remember if it's not all viking it's crap. Take care Kraze E Viking!! See you in GB on the 1st! GO Rogers GO! Brent who??? The Burby's aka Hagar and Ursulla

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kozmo14
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crosby
4.5 km away
33.7 km away
Cragun's Resort on Gull Lake
Cragun's Resort on Gull Lake
#2 of 3 in East Gull Lake

Been to Nordic Inn Medieval Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!