New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Fun and memorable; excellent value in high season” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Nordic Inn Medieval Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Crosby
Nordic Inn Medieval Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Crosby B&B and Inns
Morristown, New Jersey
“Fun and memorable; excellent value in high season”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

Authenticity is a rare treat these days. Traveling mostly for business I never experience anachronism - meaning this in the best sense of another time and place. My daughter and I are traveling to a language immersion camp. What fun to spend the night in a Viking ship with views of stained glass. This summer is about getting away from screens (computer, TV, phones) so we can use other parts of our mind and experience with our whole being. Learned much. Nordic Inn was wonderful, refreshing and tasteful (remarkably given the culture!) Steinaar the Viking is a tremendous host. I'll keep this memory forever.

Room Tip: Go for Odin's loft - the one on the ship in the nave of the old church
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2011

Steinarr, the owner, is more bark than bite, with lots of raunchy humor, laughs, some shouts (all good natured), and a little history lesson throw in. We brought our 2 yr old and she had a great time, so he couldn't be that bad! (raunchiness waited for after her bed time, he is not stupid). I think the bad reviews on here are from people with personal axes to grind with him, so think about that when reading them. The place was SPOTLESS (I am a tidy type). I think there should be more places like this! Obviously a labor of love for him, and I love supporting independent businesses. If you want a quiet, no-talking sort of evening, don't come. But if you want good beer and mead (very reasonably priced!) at a hand-made bar in hand-made stools with a raucus and fun entertainer, this is your place. Dinner was fun, if a little small considering the $25 price tag. Breakfast of GREAT meat-pie (really really good!) and some too-oily hashbrowns was included for our 3 guests (1 kid for free) with room. Dog Thor was SO SWEET. If you want a memorable evening, go! Crosby is SO pretty too. We swam afterwards in the mine lakes. Great time!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank HattieJane
Hudson, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2011

Break Down: CLEAN, FREINDLY PEOPLE, GREAT FOOD, WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE!
This place is too awesome! Go in looking for fun, letting go of stress and to relax. Not only do you get to play unique games and participate in a GREAT dinner theatre. You Learn and experience new things and enjoy WONDERFUL food. The Decor is awesome to look at and learn about. The Rooms Were very clean and the beds were comfortable. IN NO WAY WAS STEINARR RUDE OR GROSS! Like earlier reviews. He was very polite and truly caring about how our time was being spent. And the girl who worked there, Celina *spelled wrong* went above and beyond for us. On Saturday she actually took us to a good fishing lake near by and shared her hooks and bait! She was super nice. And volunteered to watch our 3 year old son while the dinner theatre took place. Yes there are dogs, Big Dogs. With the BEST manners. These dogs minded their own business unless you ask for them. The only thing was the food was TOO GOOD and A LOT of it. :) We had a Blast! Go Have fun, relax and not be you for a weekend or night. Be stress free. I know I didn't have my cell phone on me and didn't even think about it. And if you know me I always have my phone on me. Wonderful experience.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank rusty53
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2011

I have to admit up front, I am a review reader yet also an adventurer. So... when I read the reviews about the Nordic Inn, I was a bit skeptical given the mixed nature of the public opinion. Once I called to make a reservation and spoke with Steinarr (the owner) I decided to book a room for the evening of July 13th, 2011. He began to tell me about the Viking meaning of the number 13 and from there, the adventure began. I normally stay at Hilton properties (points and all) but there are none in the area near Crosby and I needed a place to sleep for the night and I was not interested in the local Motel 8, 6, 5, or 13.

Upon arrival I was greeted by Thor, a big big but gentle and kind dog along with a few of his friends. Truth be told, I am not a dog lover, in fact since some bad experiences during childhood, I do not take kindly to big dogs. Funny enough, these dogs are a joy. They keep to themselves and play with each other. In fact, Thor came up a few times and layed his head on my leg likely wanting food or just affection, but he just stayed there. If I wanted him to go, I moved my leg and he went on to explore something else. What a cool pup.

I made it to my room initially and what a beautiful place. I admit that I was a bit nervous with the introduction and initial conversations but then I took a look around. A ton of thought, hard work, and sweat was put into converting a church to a bed and brew and it was blatantly obvious (not to mention money... wow). From the fresh wood walls and floors to the Viking based decor and stained glass windows... the wood bar, tree trunk stools... I could go on and on. BTW... I stayed in Odin's Loft, the big Viking Ship hovering above the lobby... way cool.

Steinarr made an announcement at 6:31PM that appetizers would be served at 7:00PM and dinner at 8:00PM. I responded with "that would be great, thanks".

About 7:00PM I was greeted by Salina (Sorry if I have spelled your name incorrectly), a delightful young women who placed appetizers on the bar and invited me to come and eat. I did and they were really good. It was a mix of carrots, cellery, tomatoes and dipping sauces along with a strange looking sausage. (strange because I have never seen anything like it) I was leary at first but tried it anyway. Boy was it good. It was a veggie sausage of some kind but really spicy and really tasty. I can only assume it was Viking in nature as this place aims to not only please their guests, but to keep the experience authentic.

Steinarr and I got to talking throughout the evening and I really learned alot about Viking history... I mean a lot! This guy has read his books, websites, scrolls and whatever else. There wasnt an artifact that I asked about thet he didnt spend 10 minutes discussing and by the way, he doesnt just discuss, he entertains along the way. I can see how some reviewers would take offense or be takin aback (SP?) about his personality... but you have to remember one thing, you booked a room at the Nordic Inn, run by a Viking. If you dont come in with an open mind and ready to meet a Viking, then you did not read his website. His aim is authenticity, remember that... its a lot of fun.

He personally spent his entire evening on me having some Mead (really good by the way, first time tryer, life long likey) and beers. Funny throughout yet reserved enough to understand his guests.

As I stated in the beginning, I wasnt sure what to think while booking, and even when I arrived at the Nordic Inn. What I CAN tell you is this... it was worth the trip and the memorys!

Thanks Steinarr and Salina (SP? sorry) for an evening of adventure, good conversation, excellent food, Mead, a comfortable bed and accomdations, and most of all great company.

Best regards,

Aaron

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank AaronAJ
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2011

The inn is a great idea, a wonderful potential for adventure. Nice town, nice people for the most part. Unfortunately the inn is getting a little run down and needs some upkeep. The innkeeper is ok for a short evening but gets a little overbearing and stays loud. We preferred the food at the place down the street after seeing the inn's kitchen. Great location in the middle of the lakes area. It would be a better deal if the price reflected a) the shappiness of the inn and b) the tediousness of the innkeeper.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
7 Thank CarolineMae
Fargo, North Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2011

The host was awesome he did a great job at keeping my girlfriend and I entertained with some Viking entertainment. We were there during the week and were the only ones so we missed out on some of the group activities. The food was amazing for supper and breakfast. The main thing is the Nordic Inn truly goes the distance to create a unique experience you’ll never forget and I look forward to returning.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fdandy7
Colorado Springs
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2011

The worst part was the brown water, the toilet seat that falls off and the shower curtain rods not attached and falling down. We did not use the hot tub once we saw the condition and water. We arrived at 4 PM and the hotel was not prepared for us. We were told that we would be treated to an adventure stay and instead we were handed excuses over and over again. Too many orders to fill for Christmas, or normally we would do this or that. Dinner was not served until after 9 PM and was expensive. Ice not available ever. I think it may be better when the owner is not so busy with Christmas. Too bad cause we drove almost 3 hours just to stay there.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank FunTravel_11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crosby
25.5 km away
25.6 km away
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Brainerd-Baxter
26.0 km away
Days Inn & Suites Baxter Brainerd Area

Been to Nordic Inn Medieval Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!