“A Duluth Institution!”

Pickwick Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Pickwick Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 264 Restaurants in Duluth
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Good for: Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Pickwick is Duluth's landmark restaurant situated on the shore of Lake Superior. Best known for its steaks and seafood from the only indoor charcoal grill in the area. There are also great burgers and sandwiches for under $12. The banquet room accommodates up to 50 people and offers privacy for business or family occasions. The bar has been restored to its 1940 layout offering an energetic atmosphere for all ages. Two happy hours - before dinner and late night - keep the bar hopping from 4am until close. The dining rooms bring back the history of the Pickwick which has been operating since 1914. Fine dining is at its best with our excellent serving staff along with the creations of Chef Jake Sutula. Reservations are accepted. Come see why the Pickwick has been Duluth's place to be for nearly a century!
Reviewed 26 August 2017

I finally got the opportunity to pay off a longstanding debt that I owed to my cousin so my wife and I met him for dinner recently at the Pickwick. It had been about 10 years since I was last in Duluth and had the opportunity to enjoy this classic and historic restaurant. Most of my comments will be positive but there will be one very important negative comment.

The atmosphere and ambiance of the Pickwick is special. The service we received was also excellent and extremely fast. All of the wait staff that attended us were courteous and friendly. The salads served at the Pickwick are fantastic....in the top 2% of all of my restaurant experiences. I had their famous onion rings (still very good) and the others in our party had the wild rice as their side dish (also an excellent option). My filet was a quality piece of beef and was tasty.....but here comes my negative comment. The chef(s) need to become much more precise in cooking the steaks to the requested degree. As I always do in a high quality restaurant, I ordered my steak medium rare. My filet was cooked to a medium degree and that is being very generous! For what the Pickwick charges I expect my steak to be cooked absolutely perfect.....it wasn't and that made it drier and less flavorful then it should have been.

1  Thank Robert C

Reviewed 18 August 2017

My latest visit to the Pickwick may be my last. I met a group of friends and most of us ordered pepper cheeseburgers--like the good ol' days. I've eaten many pepper cheeseburgers in the past but I caution you NOT to order this. The quality control was way off the night I was there--yikes! The time before this the pepper cheeseburger was a ball of meat, raw in the middle. Server offered to replace but promised it would likely come the same way. This time, I think the oil wasn't hot enough in the fryer which might explain why the oil was literally spilling out of the burger and the breading was mushy and wouldn't adhere to the burger; not crisp as usual. Same story for the onion rings which barely had any coating on them. What's going on there?! None of us could eat the burgers and most of us were ill with indegestion until the following day.

In all fairness, our service was GREAT--a young woman named Sammy. Drinks were okay. Atmosphere--okay--though I'm not sure the chairs could be more uncomfortable. I won't be back for a long time--too many other choices in this town.

1  Thank Kim R
Reviewed 18 August 2017 via mobile

We had dinner here, sat outside. The patio is really just the parking lot but still worth it. (The interior is quite lovely, though.) Food was good, location is great.

Reviewed 15 August 2017

We visited Pickwick for dinner after the marathon. The service was very good and the food was good also. It was lacking a little something although I'm not exactly sure what that is. The walleye fingers appetizer was so tasty. Entrees were good.

Reviewed 8 August 2017

I have eaten at Pickwick many times over the years. One of my favorite things, no longer offered, was the Halibut bites appetizer. An appetizer they still offer which will blow you away is the onion rings. Watch out. They are huge and the full order size might just send you packing before dinner! lol

During my most recent visit, nothing was terrible but it just is not as good as it once was. My prime rib, ordered medium, shaded more toward medium well. My mother and sister both ordered the tenderloin tidbits dinner. Both were supposed to be medium but, again, they shaded toward medium well. My sister sent hers back. The baked potatoes were warm but not hot. The Caesar salad lacks kick and the croutons are rock hard. On previous visits, we have had the walleye but if you order it fried, you get more breading and it too tends to be overcooked (the tails curl up and are dry and hard). Overall, they might want to consider a new batch of cooks?

On this occasion the restaurant was much louder than on previous visits. I guess that just gets chalked up to the mix of people dining that evening.

On the positive side, our waitress was wonderful. We told her that we were commemorating what would have been my grandmother's 100th birthday and that we intended to take our time. The waitress was attentive but paid close attention to cues so she would not interrupt. She did not rush us (and the tip we left reflected the great job she did and the time we took). When things weren't right, she addressed them. She also threw in a sundae for dessert and seemed to respect that we were celebrating/memorializing my grandmother.

Overall, Pickwick is still a reasonable place to eat. There is good variety on the menu and many tables have a good view of the lake. The staff always seem to work hard to meet your needs. While I feel the quality of the food is not as good as it once was, there's nothing "wrong with it."

It would probably be more helpful if I told you that Pickwick is awesome or is awful. I cannot do that. In a time when people either rave or condemn, I am hoping you find a more measured review informative. If you try Pickwick, I hope you enjoy your experience.

Been to Pickwick Restaurant? Share your experiences!