All reviews mini golf bunk beds drink tokens the indoor water park outdoor pool and hot tub breakfast buffet edge water wear and tear room suite great view of lake lake walk lifeguards arcade tiki waterslides grandkids muffins
Reviewed August 3, 2018 via mobile

I pride myself on being open honest and objective when it comes to reviews. At the outset, this hotel is overpriced. For $300 + a night I would expect more. THE ROOM: Our suite was adequate. A King bed, double bath (one with a sink) and then a room with 2 doubles and a pullout couch. Fridge was small dorm room size. The room was clean and had a nice view of Superior. WATERPARK: In general a nice waterpark. Tuesday is discount day ($10 vs $20) and can be very busy with local people. We received 8 wristbands for each day of our stay. Our 10 yr olds enjoyed this but even our older kids had a good time, mostly on the water slides. OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES: the mini golf course was pathetic. It is in such a state of disrepair that it may not be salvageable. See pictures. We did not use the outdoor pool but it appeared to be well maintained. They have bicycles available for check out which is a nice offering as it is very easy and close access to the Lake Walk. GENERAL: Front desk staff were not the worst I’ve run into but were not very willing to make sure I was satisfied with my stay. The coffee bar located in the lobby has a small selection of offerings and the espresso drinks were OK (not the caliber of Dunn Bros across the street). I am a coffee snob and bring my own grounds and a French press mug. I simply wanted hot water for my own brew but was met with some resistance from the front desk. When the breakfast area was open I was able to get hot water there without paying for breakfast. On that note, breakfast is $7.70+ for adults and $4.50+ for kids. The breakfast included 3 types of pre-made pancakes, sausage and breakfast potatoes. For a room price of this caliber the breakfast should be included however I was not going to spend even $5 for the breakfast that was offered. AESTHETICS: Tiki theme throughout. Thomas the Train decals were on all of the windows and have been placed at a level so as to prevent good viewing of Lake Superior! This was a major annoyance for me. If you want the kids to see it, put it lower on the windows and don’t obstruct the view!
My overall feeling is that this place is set up to make as much money as possible without maintaining the facility. We will not be back to this hotel as there are others that are better, less expensive and customer friendly albeit without a waterpark.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed August 1, 2018

We booked online and it was hard to tell what the difference was in the room quality, especially based on the pictures as the cheaper rooms had the same pictures as the more expensive rooms. I guess I now know the price differences between the main building and the "classic building." :( The room itself was clean, kudos to the housekeepers, but the room itself is in great need of renovations. The paint was peeling off the bathroom walls and ceilings, and the wallpaper bubbled. Mold in the corners by the shower. The drapes have holes in them from years of wear and tear. The beds creaked so bad that we woke each other up with every move in the night. It smelt musty upon arrival and the air conditioning couldn't keep up with the humidity, running 24/7 without quitting, but never actually reaching 'cool' in the room. And after hours of irritation and investigating, we FINALLY found the source of the HIGH pitch noise (sounding like a fire alarm from another room) was actually the switching on/off of the in-room refrigerator...unplug! We did enjoy the waterpark, which was well loved, but in working shape. The lifeguards were super friendly and aware of their surroundings, plenty of towels, and lots of fun to be had; an overall enjoyable experience there. Room felt like a M-otel, definitely not a H-otel.

Room Tip: make sure your room is in the MAIN building!
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2018 via mobile

Stayed here July 27-29.
The sink and shower in my room would not drain. Had to stand in water up to my ankles while showering. And over $200/ night. Reported the issue to housekeeping and front desk and they didn’t really seem to care. Issue was not addressed. I wouldn’t stay here again. Live and learn.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank t s
Reviewed July 30, 2018 via mobile

This hotel was such a disgusting rip off and it’s not my first stay!!! Service was horrible, slow, unfriendly and totally not helpful or accommodating. It was first of all disgustingly dirty and we stayed on the new side, we were told when we booked if our room wasn’t ready kids could still use amenities after a 7 hour drive we were told not so....we had to walk around in the heat for 2 hours with no where to go. Our room was filthy we had our beds made once in a three day stay. Coffee shop took 30 minutes each morning for a regular brew coffee. Shuttle service was terrible we called at 8am to book for 2 pm were told we didn’t need a reservation but to come 15 minutes prior to when we needed to leave. We went half hour prior and they said we needed a reservation!!!! People we talked to had a reservation but were told there was no record of them making one! Random people jumped on the shuttle ahead of all us. We had to get to a train tour that we paid $200 for and was non refundable. I asked front desk to call us a taxi she said she couldn’t reach one! Another hotel guest helped us by using her personal phone to contact Uber for us.

Indoor water park was so hot no fans or air conditioning whatsoever! Lifeguards were completely rude blowing their whistles without anyone knowing who the whistle was for or what was done wrong! One of our kids measured on the 48” line for rides, on the line, was told he was too short and lifeguard manager just walked away!! Parent tried to asked why she didn’t bother to turn around

Breakfast buffet was a joke no one knew where to go or how it worked. Walk a mile through ancient part of hotel to finally be snapped at that they are closed! Then find out you could also access it by going out backdoor up a flight of stairs instead of a mile long trek though heated hallways in 30 degree weather!!!

Mini putt was the biggest joke ever all the greens were torn up and wrinkled, impossible for anyone to actually enjoy!

Outdoor pool and hot tub had loose rock debri so bad we all left with cuts on the bottoms of our feet.

I visited this hotel about 3 years ago and was not overly impressed three years later I brought a friend and her son to visit and it’s done nothing but downhill since my last visit.

I’m glad we spent a day at canal park because Duluth is a beautiful city and there are beautiful hotels for me to go back and visit someday but it will never be edgewater and I will not ever recommend this hotel to anyone!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank paulalandry1967
Reviewed July 30, 2018

This hotel is worn down, outdated, poorly maintained, and terribly overpriced. Shockingly bad value: We had a room that, at most, should have been $100 per night, but we paid $230 per night. The owner should be embarrassed. The air conditioner was so noisy we couldn't sleep. Bedding was worn out and thin...ridiculous. Bathroom dates back decades. The place has a tenement feel. Luxury hotel prices, for slum accommodations. Ugly exterior, uneven sidewalks and needs weeding and painting. I'll never stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family