“Old school”

The Downtown Duluth Inn
Ranked #25 of 31 Hotels in Duluth
Reviewed 19 November 2011

Although it is an older property, it is well maintained and a nice little hide-a-way. The staff treats you like you were at the Ritz. It's a couple blocks up from the lake, so it makes for a nice stroll down the hill. I didn't find much I didn't like about it, matter of fact I didn't find any thing wrong with it. Five star service at a two star price.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank scottidog
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2011

Thanks so much for your 5 star review and rating, we really appreciate the positive feedback. We take pride in making sure that every guest has an enjoyable stay here, and in Duluth. Please let us know when you will be back so we can thank you in person.

Reviewed 1 November 2011

This was my second time staying at this Best Western. First time was a fantastic unplanned trip. I knew I'd be in Duluth in advance for this trip, and having many options in the downtown area I chose the Best Western again purely because of how great my previous stay was.

The staff there are some of the most personable people I've met in their industry. The prices are extremely fair, and it is so close to everything that I was able to walk throughout my stay.

The place is on the older side, but it's obvious they are being proactive about keeping up with the 21st century. The manager pointed out to me some of the updates they've been working on in one of our conversations. They had just installed new heaters in the rooms which I appreciated.

A fantastic place to stay for the price. I wouldn't recommend this hotel for someone looking for a pool, spa, or mint on their pillow.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank arcochad
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2011

Thanks for choosing us again, and for posting your candid comments. You are our ideal guest - someone who is looking for great value, great location and great service. We'll be happy to welcome you back the next time you are in Duluth. Thanks again!

Reviewed 22 October 2011

This was a lovely little room to stay one night to visit some colleges in the area. If I had to stay here longer, I would have liked a bigger room, and bigger bathroom, with quieter fan and air conditioner/heater. But overall a great experience for what I paid, and may consider coming back.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank LizTurtle
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2011

Thanks for choosing to stay with us, and I hope your college visits went well. It was nice of you to take the time to post your comments. Size does matter, depending on how much time you plan on spending in the room versus out and about in the city and surrounding area. We look forward to our next opportunity to serve you here.

Reviewed 21 October 2011

I enjoyed this staying here. The room we got was spacious and quiet aside from the occasional child running up and down the stairs. The water for some reason didn't work when I woke up in the morning but did later on. The proximity to the rest of Duluth was very nice being that everything was within walking distance and meal options were close by too. The price was also great compared to other hotels in the area. If we are in the area again and looking for a place to stay we will definitely be looking at this Best Western as an option.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Shischkabob

Thanks for taking the time to make your recommendation - everyone here really appreciates it. I'm glad you were happy with the value and location of our motel and hope you will introduce yourself next time you are here so we can thank you in person.

Reviewed 6 October 2011

This motel is very old and very tired. There is no elevator and the carpeted stairs leading up to the second floor is worn and thin. All rooms are around the parking lot and it is located in an old section of town. The people working the desk, especially Reno, are very friendly and helpful. The price of the room came with a "sort of" breakfast. The hard boiled eggs are already peeled so we did not want to eat them. There is cereal, sausage, muffins, bagels and toast, juice and coffee. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom was a good size, but the grout needed attention. The walls were paper thin and we could hear people coming in and out of their rooms and talking inside. There was no body lotion-just shampoo and conditioner and a hair dryer. The heater worked well. The price we paid $78, was just right!! There is a Raddison, Holiday Inn and other nicer places down on Canal Park that we would recommend.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gypsies-on-the-go
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2011

I'm sorry you were disappointed with our hotel during your recent visit, please accept my apologies. Thank you for sharing your comments, which give us a better perspective on what our guests are experiencing. Reno is terrific and inspires us all to do our best every day with every guest. I hope you will consider staying with us again when you are looking for a good value the next time you visit Duluth.

Reviewed 12 September 2011

While an old motel, it was clean, quiet and the staff was very helpful. It is within walking distance to Canal Park, where there are many restaurants and attractions.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank sstarlz
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2011

I'm glad you were happy with your choice to stay with us - thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I will share your review with the rest of our team, as we all really appreciate the positive recognition of our work here. I hope we can serve you here again.

Reviewed 29 August 2011

For the single traveller or backpacker hiking through the area, this is an ideal motel to stay at. It's right in the centre of downtown, and there is easy access to Duluth Transit, and about four blocks from the Skyline Shuttle (minibus to Mpls./St. Paul). The YMCA is 2 blocks away, as is Canal Park and lots of restaurants. The rooms are small, and again, for the single traveller, this is ideal. I typically stay at hostels during my travels, and this is the closest you'll find in Duluth at an affordable rate. Do check the rates during various times and see what they are, as they tend to change.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank FortFrances807
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2011

I'm so glad you found us and enjoyed your stay enough to write about it, thank you . I remember the security, simplicity and cameraderie of hostel stays and really like your comparison. Please let us know when you will be back so we can welcome you in person.