New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices
Ranked #29 of 33 Hotels in Duluth
Minneapolis, MN
“Ski Weekend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Spent the weekend at spirit mountain. We had a poolside balcony room at the Best Value Inn. It was great for us. Comfortable beds and convenient for skiing.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

We arrived on a Friday about 12:30 pm and were able to get an early check in since we called ahead earlier that morning and requested one, but others in our group (we had over 40 rooms at the hotel) who did not call were not able to get in early. Our room was clean, had a fridge, microwave, desk, small table with 2 chairs, small bathroom with the sink separate from the tub and toilet. Not all the rooms had a microwave and fridge. Our room overlooked the interstate and Spirit Mountain. There are basically 3 parking lots for the property, the two lower ones have signs indicating you NEED 4-wheel drive during the winter months when it snows/gets icy. There is no elevator, but if you are able to get a room on the 1st floor, you can enter on that parking level and not encounter stairs other than to get up to the front desk and breakfast area. The stairs weren't a huge deal for us, but this hotel is definitely not handicap friendly.

Breakfast was your run-of-the-mill continental breakfast with cereal, bagels, toast, muffins, waffles, juice, milk, etc.

I think my rating of this property as average is generous. This hotel is fine if you are just looking for a place to rest your head for a night, but I certainly wouldn't pay over $100.00/night like we had to as part of a group. The walls and ceilings are thin, we could hear every foot step in the room above us - and it was not because of rambunctious kids, we knew the adult above us and we could hear every time he got up, walked across the room and used the bathroom.

The bath amenities included a little packet of 1-use shampoo and conditioner, not a big deal for me either since I always bring my own and only use the hotel products if they are good. The towels were tiny and rough. Another person in our group closed the curtains on the first evening and a pair of dirty underwear fell out of the curtains.

Like I said, the close proximity to Spirit Mountain would make it perfect for a night or even two if you are looking at spending the majority of your time on the slopes. There is not much in the area - gas station next door, liquor store, McDonalds across the interstate, up the hill a few miles is the city proper of Proctor which does have a Blackwoods Bar and Grill and some other restaurants and bars.

That being said, I would NOT recommend this hotel for large groups, especially youth groups. Some of the staff were less than friendly (not all, just some - some were great). We had a meeting room reserved for our potluck and socializing, they allowed us to stay in there until 11:30 pm (an hour past their posted 10:30 pm end time) and we received numerous warnings about the noise even though we had all the rooms above and around the meeting room and we couldn't hear anything outside of the room.

The first morning, housekeeping wanted in our room at 9:20 am while were trying to get ready, we asked if they could come back in about half an hour (which would be the case with several people in our group since we were all leaving at roughly the same time), we were told they would try, but most of their housekeeping staff would be gone by then. Just a tip for the housekeeping staff, you may want to keep your language in check even while in your laundry room with the door open, I overheard much of your profanity-filled conversation while waiting for my husband by the door.

Check out was smooth and quick. Check out time is 10:30 am and they only allow 5 late check-out requests per day.

Overall, the stay was o.k., although I won't be returning. There is a Country Inn and Suites across the interstate that I would try before staying at this hotel again, it is just my personal preference, I am not fond of Motel 6 - like properties and that is what this hotel is.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the Interstate and Spirit Mountain for a decent view....the other rooms offer...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

The staff went out of their way to be helpful and friendly. At the last moment I needed a place to stay and this was the most affordable option. The room was clean. The only complaint was my noisy neighbors arriving late at night, but the noise only lasted a half hour.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

After spending our honeymoon night at a more familiar/spendy hotel that starts with the letter 'H' in our home city of 'Saint Paul', we headed for the hills of the beautiful north shore. Fires prevented my new bride and I to venture to the boundry waters, so we decided to hang out in duluth. On the recommendation of a co-worker to visit 'Spirit Mountain' if we were in the area, ended up as our residence of choice to spend the next couple of nights. Excellent value for what they provide their guests with. Jacuzzi, and sauna in a shared environment, free breakfast, and don't forget the indoor pool. Even though the bathroom was on the small size, the room, with all the basics for a lodge was perfect for us. By the way, there was even a safe in the room, which the previous mentioned hotel did not provide. What pleased us overall was the hospitality of the lodges staff. 'KUDOS' To All Those That Made Our Stay Quite Pleasant!!!!

Room Tip: We were located directly across jacuzzi/sauna room. 'Sweeeeet'
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Plainview, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

We had a family of 12 stay the weekend of 9/16/11. We had 3 rooms and were fortunate enough to get pool side. It was the best poolside experience I've ever had. The pool literally was right out the door and worked perfect for us having small children. The rooms were clean and very cute, the staff was very friendly and having the extra room outside worked great for children. The breakfast room was a little small, but was workable. We already said we'd come back again. Nice hotel for the price.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
cambridge mn
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

staff was very friendly,they actually called down to our room shortly after check inn to see if we were happy with every thing,rooms were clean,beds were ok ,bathrooms were small, no stocked shampoo in there so bring your own, we had a slide out patio room and at night we had four deer laying down just a little ways from our door,which was pretty cool,nice game room for the kids,pool was nice but was pretty full the night we were there,the only thing we didnt like was that the hot tub was really foamy,and they should not be that way. over all this place suited our needs well for our short visit in duluth,id go back again.

Room Tip: get a room on the east side with patio slide out, to view the deer instead of the parking lot
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
dsminn5, Guest Relations Manager at Duluth Spirit Mountain Inn - Americas Best Value, responded to this review, 20 September 2011
Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your stay with us. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

On behalf of the entire staff at Duluth Spirit Mountain Inn I want to thank you for your thoughtful words regarding our staff and cleanliness of our rooms. It is our sincere goal to exceed our guest’s expectations.

I’d glad you enjoyed your patio room, the hotel is located on over 4 acres of lawn, trees and rock out cropping’s. Deer, birds, and wildlife are common sites to our guests. Picnic tables, volleyball, horseshoes and badminton are available free for our guests use.

Our pool and hot tub are tested daily by a certified pool technacian. We do test every morning according to Minnesota state health standard. We apologize that it was too foamy for you. We have informed our maintenance manager of your concerns, thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments, we hope to have you back as our guest in the near future.
Bemidji, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

We stayed at this facility for a week, with friends from out of state. The place was great. It's clean, quiet, roomy, hot showers, and the breakfast was OK.

Our problem came at checkout. I had booked the rooms months ahead, using my credit card. Upon checking out, we each payed for our own rooms. When I got my statement, I was charged for both rooms, which overdrew our account. I called the hotel, and the girl told me she, "wasn't authorized to refund my money". She did tell me there was no record of our friends paying their own bill, which was wrong. They did pay their own bill, and he signed his own statement. I was told to call back the next day.

When I called back, I spoke to the manager, and she said my money was refunded, which according to the bank, it was not. I got a runaround on the phone, and had to jump hoops with the bank, and the hotels main office. Long story short, I finally got our money back, but we're out the overdraft charges, even though it was THEIR mistake!

SO BEWARE...and go over your bill!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

I am grateful for your kind words regarding the cleanliness of our rooms; our housekeeping staff’s goal is to exceed our guest’s expectations. On behalf of our housekeeping staff I thank you.

I also wanted to thank you for the compliment on our hotels quietness; we do our best to ensure all guests have a quiet and comfortable setting.

I appreciate your comment on our breakfast; our complimentary breakfast has a large array of items including waffles, cappuccino, apples, muffins, bagels, 3 types of cereal, oatmeal, white bread, wheat bread, apple juice, orange juice, and coffee.

I sincerely apologize that the wrong credit card with charged. When this guest’s reservations were made they were under one credit card. The credit card that was initially used to make the reservations was charged for the guests stay. At check out it was not specified which card was to be used to pay for the rooms. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience.

As for as the card not being refunded, as soon as the guest contacted us we refunded the credit card and addressed the situation. The funds were released from our account. With certain banks the refund can take several business days which is all depending on how your bank processes reversals. The length of time the bank took to release the funds does not correlate with the hotel. We however do apologize for any inconveniences that this guest encountered because of our mistake.

I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences this guest endured during their stay. I hope we have the opportunity to have you stay with us again.

Travellers are raving about these Duluth hotels