All reviews bedroom condo full kitchen one night red wing visiting the area gorgeous views sitting on the balcony looked fine restaurant bar perfect weekend the pearl fold out couch grocery store boat ride only complaint king bed located right
Reviewed June 24, 2018

Willows is a little pricier than many hotels but the amenities in one of their family suites is worth the money. Located right on the shore of Lake Pepin (the widest part of the Mississippi River in Minnesota, this is a nice place to relax or catch a boat ride or dinner cruise. The Willows' condos are just north of Lake City, a quiet community with some nice restaurants and antique shops. The residents are especially nice and friendly. The Willows staff is great and the attached restaurant has good food at fair prices.

The rooms in the suite are fully furnished (with a sailing motif in the decorations). Both upstairs and downstairs in the suite a fully carpeted and both bedrooms have more than ample closet and drawer space. There are plenty of lights in all the spaces (none of those under-power dim bulbs so common to many hotels, so it is easy to read. A full kitchen has more than enough plates, cups, flatware, etc -- you can eat for 5 days before needing to run the dishwasher.

Large-screen TVs and DVDS in both bedrooms and the suite is well insulated (so little noise from neighbors). The living area provides a great view of the water. A nice deck for views of the water and a balcony as well on the 2nd floor.

All the furniture is clean and comfy and bathrooms likewise have plenty of thick towels.

All in all a very nice vacation choice for those who want rest. For getting out there is a nice state park just a few miles north of the Willows. Red Wing (just 15 miles north of Willows) has a bridge to Wisconsin and many nice areas there as well.

Room Tip: Get the rooms with lake view -- it's worth it.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank T S
Reviewed May 27, 2018

This was our second time in Lake City but first time staying here. It was the perfect location and offered the amenities we needed for a little escape from the city. The view is unbeatable- from the windows and the balcony. The location is close enough to downtown Lake City that you could walk it if you're inclined. We drove to the shops and restaurants and always found ample parking.

There's a restaurant/bar in the property that looked good. We didn't eat there however, choosing to instead cook in our amply supplied kitchen. DVDs, VHS and some books are available in the lobby to borrow.

My only complaint was that the pool didn't have direct access to the sun deck. (An alarmed emergency exit only door opened to it.) The other complaint was out of control of the property management- the family in the unit above us allowed their kids to run around/wrestle/dance for hours at a time which caused a maddening thump/pulse in our unit. (Due to the type of construction of the property.) When we stay again, I'll ask for the highest floor to avoid this.

Just the escape we needed. (Aside from the upstairs neighbors.)

Room Tip: Quiet hotel overall, minus the inconsiderate family above us who let the kids run around for long periods of time.
Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2018

We recently returned to Lake City to visit a friend who was recovering from a car accident. I wanted to make her some meals to put into her freezer as she recovered at home. I knew immediately that I wanted to return here again as we had stayed here 18 years ago and loved it! The view of Lake Peppin was spectacular! We stayed in room 207 and loved everything about it! The kitchen afforded me such a wonderful panoramic view of the lake as I cooked. It snowed 5 inches the day after we arrived. We kept the fireplace on and just enjoyed seeing the snow as I made lots of food. The kitchen was well stocked with everything I needed to cook tons of food. Every night we enjoyed going down to the hot tub! Relaxing and clean. The snow was removed on the property in a timely fashion. I utilized the elevator and the luggage carts to bring the groceries up to the room. Big time saver there! The front desk employee was very helpful with all my questions. And they replaced the wine opener when it broke while i was using it. The 2nd floor views were wonderful! I would recommend this to anyone visiting the area. It is located only 15 miles from Red Wing. We decided to treat ourselves and get a massage. Body Kneads in the St James Hotel was excellent! I was able to call in the morning and Karan gave me a wonderful hour long massage 3 hours later! My husband also was able to get in with Anne and she helped his neck that was giving him some trouble.We didn't expect to be able to get in the same day so that was an added bonus to a wonderful experience. I also enjoyed the quaint locally owned shops in Lake City. I would highly recommend a stay at The Willows and a relaxing massage at Body Kneads In Red Wing.

Room Tip: ask for 2nd floor for nice views
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kathy M
Reviewed September 6, 2017

Stayed here for 3 nights in august and loved it. As soon as you walk in your condo you see the lake which is beautiful. It had a deck which was perfect and the condo was very clean and spacious. We even were able to watch a couple of Eagles flying around every morning while having coffee on the balcony. Will definitley stay here again. Also the staff was very nice and friendly.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2017

Stayed for a few nights in a one bedroom condo. The condo was spacious and had great views from the living area. Small deck to sit outdoors also. The kitchen had everything we needed. Overall we were very happy with our stay but a couple things could be improved on: there is no blow dryer - I haven't stayed anywhere in years that one wasn't available; a full size iron board would be more helpful than the small one available and probably the most concerning: upon arrival I asked the front desk staff what we should see or do while in the area. She replied "I don't know what you like to do. There's a lake walk"" Wow - not friendly and not a good way to promote the area. Another couple were in the lobby she told me about the magazine in the hallway and some things from Tripadvisor. She didn't even tell us about the Pearl boat ride which was on site. Needless to say, I didn't ask anymore questions. The experience didn't make me feel welcomed. She also made it a point to tell me to call the manager if I had problems after 8 pm. It sounds good in theory but the tone she used when she said it was almost snarky sort of like please call in a sort of mean way. I immediately thought she must not like the manager. The condo itself was clean and comfortable. Great location and we did like the lake walk. If going to this area be sure to try the Chickadee restaurant. Great food and very pleasant service!

Room Tip: Second floor has great views!
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple