“Snorkellers Paradise”
Review of Embudu Village

Embudu Village
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Embudu
Reviewed 14 June 2012

My boyfriend and I visited Embudu back in May. I'd firstly like to thank all the people who have left reviews on trip advisor, all the positive feedback convinced us to choose Embudu over the other islands. What can I say, it was beautiful! You can walk round the whole island in 20 minutes, so there's no need for shoes, however I always wore shoes in the restaurant. If you love fish/snorkelling/diving then this island is a MUST! The house reef is amazing. Before we left for the Maldives, We created a list of all the marine life we really wanted to see (manta rays, turtles, lion fish, sting rays, sharks, barracuda etc) and by swimming round the island, up to 3 times a day, we soon had seen everything on our list. My highlight was being able to swim beside a huge manta ray that had come close to the reef to get to the cleaning stations. The rooms were basic, very clean and modern, so if you want luxury, this isnt the island for you. The staff were very friendly and polite and always happy to have a chat. There was a large variety of food and the desserts were amazing. There's plenty of diving excursions, but not many snorkelling. If you wanted to snorkel at a different reef, you'd have to tag along with the divers and then you wouldn't have a guide, but we didn't feel the need to do this with the house reef being so good. We were full board, so didn't get our drinks included, but this was perfect for us as we aren't drinkers, so would only have to buy a few bottles of water a day at $2 each. If you want to drink lots of alcohol, cocktails etc, then it may be worth you going all inclusive. I would go back to this island In a heart beat, it really is a paradise and I enjoyed being cut off from the world for 2 weeks.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
14  Thank Hannah S
There are newer reviews for Embudu Village

Reviewed 13 June 2012

Got back a couple of days ago from Embudu and of our 5 visits to the Maldives this was by far the best.
The four star places we have been too before get knocked out by this wonderful little gem.
For me, this is how the Maldives should be, no news no shoes for two weeks. If you want banging loud music and entertainment every night then go on a cruise or visit mainland Europe.
The rooms were large and spacious although the matresses were a little on the firm side, lol.
The food in the restaurant was good with a wide variety and plenty of drinks available on the All Inclusive however Diet Coke is not included in the AI for some reason.
Fed 3 times a day with coffee, tea and sandwiches served between four and six pm giving it a very colonial feel. :).
This is a proper chill out and relax island with some of the best staff I have ever encountered. Even the ground staff were really friendly and always smiling and saying hello. Always ready with a smile and a joke and not expecting a tip for every little thing.
The dive staff are just really Uber cool and dont have to say anything they just look through their sunglasses and wave slowly as the ice forms on their arms they are so cool.
The snorkeling is the best I have experienced as well and the variety of coral and fish is out of this world. Spent twenty minutes swimming about with 3 eagle rays on one day.
There is a warning on the official site that there is work going on upgrading some of the villas till October, this really did not interfere with our holiday at all and we hardly even noticed it to be honest and this also meant that the occupancy rate of the island was also about half capacity which left even more room on the beaches and in the bar.
Normally after 10 to 12 days on holiday im about ready to come home but they had to pry my fingernails out of the wooden jetty to get me to leave this place.
What a find. ;)

Room Tip: To be honest there is not really anywhere on the island I would have complained about been located.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
12  Thank RevBagsta
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Just returned from a 2 week visit from Embudu. We had a fantastic holiday. We last visited in January 2009 .. it was great then and its even better now. We stayed in an upgraded room which had a great new bathroom, new beds and furniture. There's also a new more spacious bar area and Sunil and his team there are fantastic. The food was very good with plenty of choice every day - Moosa our waiter was very attentive and it was a really nice touch that we were allocated the same waiter and table that we had on our last visit. This is not a luxury island there are no TV's in the rooms, no fancy gadgets, not even a swimming pool . . . but who needs that . . you are in the Indian Ocean on a paradise island with an excellent house reef for snorkeling, the weather is great and the welcome's even warmer. I've visited a few island's now and I feel that this is the most relaxed, welcoming best value for money in the Maldives. Saving up now to visit next year for my 40th birthday!

Room Tip: As for upgraded room. Rooms 50-58 are nice.
8  Thank Tess0229
Reviewed 4 May 2012

We just got back from our nice, relaxing hollidays. We stayed in Embudu for one week and we were very satisfied with everything.
Snorkeling on the island is really the best and I would recomend this to everyone who likes to snorkel. Also is the perfect place for the divers, which I'm not, but they were also very very satisfied. The beach was nice and clean and the turquise watter was amazing!
The employees were very nice and on every step you could see people cleaning the island, which give you the proove, that they are good caring for it.
Food was very good and for every taste, but for my opinion too spicy. The bar and the barmens were also very kind and if you leaved the tip sometimes, they care for you like for god. We had all inclusive which I also recomended to everyone!
We had a bungalow number 47 on the northern site of the island. Up to number 50 the all apartments were renovated so we had an old one, but still not so bad. We didnt have aircondition only the fan and the bungalow was not tottaly closed, so we had sometimes the small geckoes in the room. In bathroom we didnt have warm or cold watter, only natural, which sometimes after rain was not so good. I wished a hot shower. I recomend you to take bungalows up to number 50.
I really enjoyed our staying in Embudu and for sure we will come back! I recommend this to couples or families without small kids. They get bored, because island is small and there is really not a lot to do, except of enjoying on the beach.
I traveled with my boyfriend from 23 april to 2 may.

see you soon embudu :)

Room Tip: Take a bungalow up to number 50!
5  Thank narg3000
Reviewed 1 May 2012

What can I say about Embudu that people haven't already. We arrived on the 16th April 2012 and during the transfer took a quick detour as the boat pilot and crew saw a school of dolphins swimming a couple of minutes off the Island. I great start if I do say so myself.

We picked Embudu due to it's trip advisor score, the reviews and wanted a nice relaxing Honeymoon on the budget we had. There were another couple on their honeymoon too and we both came to the same reasoning. A small island that was quiet and relaxed but at the same time had some things to do.

As other reviews have said it's mainly Germans on the island which was good for us as we didn't want to bother others or be bothered by others. There are times on holidays where you feel you have to couple up and talk but luckily with the language barrier we were left, of course unless we all wanted to talk.

The bar is amazing, the food is awesome and I recommend anyone who goes go All Inclusive, pay the extra as if you are buying drinks, water is £2 for 2 litres (ish) and a beer 330ml about £2.50. We totted up the bill for the 2 weeks and figured we would have spent £1000+ on drinks.

We did a couple of trips during our time there, we did a night fishing trip together where we did catch a few, but my wife doesn't really like fish or fishing so the next couple of times I went by myself, they do this twice a week.
On the first Sunday we did the island hope and for $37 and a 5 hour trip is wasn't bad value. We went to another hotel island, which was a lot busier and was not the type of Island I would have liked to have stayed. We went to a local island which was very surreal and very interesting to see how the locals lived compared to the hotel islands and it's very good for shopping. The 3rd visit was to a sandbank, where you jump of the boat have a little swim before going back to Embudu.

The one down point was the new beds, they are harder than the floor and less comfy than sleeping in the sand. If they were just a little bit softer then Embudu would have got a 5.

8  Thank LuckyNoS7evin
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Great experiences.. was on a holiday with my friends and had a great time.
Place is reasonable and has great value for their guest..
I recommend this place and will come back

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank Collins M
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This was our 1st Maldives trip, & went for two weeks, we'd read reviews that said this was by no means a luxury resort and this was true. HOWEVER READ ON - This resort is for those of you that want a quiet, no frills, relaxing Maldives holiday. As mentioned in other reviews here, rooms 50 & above are the refurbished ones. We initially were put in 17. These rooms are old & tired, but fine if all you want is a bed. We asked to move as our fridge wasn't working, which actually turned out to be faulty electrics on that side of the room. Reception were very helpful & understanding & we were moved to 65 the next morning. The new rooms are a world away from the others in that everything has been updated, including very nice bathrooms with lovely big glass shower cubicles. A/C was also new & worked a treat!! The only negative we had was the mattress was pretty hard, but then we are used to our memory foam at home!!

The island itself can be walked around in literally 10 minutes and has two really nice beach areas. Our room was on the "windy" side, & as such had no beach but a small wall to protect the island from the sea. Not exactly a problem as you had to just cut through the middle of the island to get to the sand. There is loads of shade to sit/lie in if you're not a sun worshipper, so I was very happy with that!

We worked out that this resort could have around 300 people there if full, but the weird thing was that even though it was full when we went, the island seemed to "eat" people! If you walked around, you hardly saw anyone, very strange on such a small place! Everyone appeared for food!!

The food was brilliant!! Buffet style as per every All Inclusive holiday, but very, very good! Every evening was themed, with selections including Eastern, Italian, BBQ & Asian nights. There was a really good variety of food to suit every taste, you could even have spicy stuff for breakfast if you wanted! Our waiter was excellent, & they are all very attentive and polite.

There is only one bar, but that was fine as it never got really busy anyway. Evenings were obviously the busiest, but there was always room to sit, including the lovely decking area over the water looking out to the setting sun!! There is not a load of entertainment, but we knew that before we went & was one of the reasons we chose this place as we didn't want some noisy nightclub resort. There's one disco a week on a Sunday & only up to midnight, they also had one other entertainment night a week. This is really good because it gives you the time to actually sit & have a quiet drink & chat.

So to the water!! We only went snorkelling & didn't dive, but the dive school was always busy & popular if you want to do that. You get a briefing by them on the evening of your arrival about safety and where best to snorkel, etc. Having said that, snorkelling had no bad areas! This place is amazing for coral & fish. The house reef completely circles the island & has 3 cut throughs to swim back in via. This is so the coral doesn't get damaged. The sea is beautifully clear & warm, and the amount & variety of fish and other life was breathtaking! I personally saw everything except a ray, including black tipped sharks, angel fish, groupers, clown fish, parrot fish, barracuda & luckily even a turtle! There were many more than this, but need to be seen to be believed!

So overall an amazing holiday, and one of the few places we've been that we'd happily return to as we normally like a different location for each holiday we go on.

Highly recommended!!

Room Tip: Rooms 50 & above are newly refurbished, & better quality than those below them in number
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
14  Thank Rick_M43
Also consider these accommodations in or near Embudu
7.5 km away
Adaaran Club Rannalhi
#1 of 1 in Rannalhi
18.9 km away
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
23.1 km away
Paradise Island Resort & Spa
Paradise Island Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Lankanfinolhu Island

Been to Embudu Village? Share your experiences!