All reviewssea villaspoplar river condosthe pubthe main lodgedining roomlake superiorcovered bridgenorth shorethe activities deskgrand maraisfly fishingguided activitiesthere is no air conditioninglog cabinfull kitchenmain restaurantmaster bedroom
Reviewed October 28, 2017 via mobile

We love Lutsen Resort. We stay every year in the Poplar River condos. It is a short hike to the main lodge which is like stepping back in time. Cozy and welcoming. The dining room food is the best and breakfast with Inge's pancakes is unbeatable.

The room we stay in has a full kitchen and a fireplace with jacuzzi. Very comfortable with incredible views

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
LutsenOnSuperior, Public Relations Manager at Lutsen Resort on Lake Superior, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2017

Thanks for your comments and for making Lutsen Resort your Lutsen tradition. You can never go wrong with Inge's pancakes!

Reviewed October 16, 2017 via mobile

The resort is in a lovely location and that is worth a premium. The Lutsen Resort DOES charge a premium. The hotel is charming but lacks many basic amenities that hotels in the same price bracket furnish as standard. Climate control was a screened window and a rotary fan. My room was furnished with a FLY SWATTER, of all things! There was no fridge, coffee pot, room safe or magnifying mirror. The lone coffee station for the hotel was dirty and not maintained. I had to summon someone to service the machine so I could get my morning cup. I inquired about keeping valuables in the hotel safe but was informed that no one would be available to unlock the safe when I needed to retrieve them. The hotel bar closed at 10:00 PM on a weekday night. All in all, grand hotel prices for tired and tatty hotel.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed October 16, 2017

Stayed at a Sea Villa for 5 days. Views of the Lake were amazing, fall color in October is always wonderful! While it was a bit busy, all was pleasant. Beds in our unit were pretty old, not too comfortable. Could stand a bit of updating there.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Georgesec
Reviewed October 11, 2017

I've stayed in various high end SKI town resorts (Banff, L Louise, Whistler, Aspen)
and this one goes near the top of my list, even though I was not there to ski!
GREAT location, rates, facilities, FOOD service, staff - this place has it ALL.

I would highly recommend Lutsen Resort to EVERYONE: singles, couples and families.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed October 2, 2017

As other posts have mentioned, you should do careful research before staying here to know exactly what you're getting. The room types are clearly described on their website.

On the Plus side: gorgeous setting on an intimate cove tucked into a cliff. The lakeshore is stunning. Great food...the breakfast buffet is scrumptious, with an abundance of fresh fruit, must-have-been-homemade pastries, and the best pancakes I've had in forever. The staff is friendly and extremely helpful from the front desk, to the restaurant, to the activities folks (Jake and Amanda) who shuttled us to the Superior Hiking Trail. We were genuinely happy with every staff encounter we had during our stay.

The rooms however, are basic three star. One gets the impression that the rather tired plainness is meant to satisfy not-too-fussy families who just want to ski and sleep. Call me fussy, but at 200+ bucks a night in the shoulder season ( I know, fall colors and all that, but still...) I shouldn't be awoken at 100am by drunk noisy neighbors (wedding attendees?) because the wall are too thin. The bathroom floor tile should be clean, the TV should have a decent number of stations(in HD) and for the love of God, I shouldn't have to drink my tap water and crummy coffee out of a styrofoam cup or plastic glass, especially when I'm not enjoying any room service in three nights. This cost-saver presumably helps protect the precious environment, but c'mon, this is what one finds at Super 8. And styrofoam is def. not eco- friendly, anyway. When the resort gets around to updating these otherwise fine units (the shades, fireplace, bed, and balcony helped make up for the disappointments), I will be back. The Lutsen Resort is legendary, and for day hikers and skiers, it boast a near-perfect location, but the price for room quality is an unfortunate disconnect. At this price point, I want to walk into the room and feel impressed -I don't have to be blown away, but at least pleased. I just wasn't.

Room Tip: I would ask for main floor condo unit as close to the lake as possible.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple