All reviews solbakken resort guest house north shore grand marais great deck fire pit the entire resort tap water beautiful fall walked down private cabin big deck easy drive our favorite place to stay a wonderful stay nice lodge nice view of lake
Reviewed August 13, 2017

The entire resort is charming, with simple cabins right on the water and a nice lodge. I booked a room in the motel at the last minute (nothing else was available on the North Shore.) Rooms have been upgraded a bit—new flooring and blinds—but accommodations are pretty basic: two double beds, kitchenette, and a bathroom in need up updating. It was a warm weekend so we had to keep the windows open. The motel is right next to the highway and parking lot, so road noise and an all-night light made it hard to sleep. On the plus side: you're on the North Shore, with easy access to Lutsen and Grand Marais; the lake is close; the little kitchenette is handy, and the proprietors are really nice. On the minus side: the aforementioned noise (would not be such an issue during cooler weather) plus the beds seemed to have waterproof sheets, so it was sticky and uncomfortable to sleep.

Stayed: July 2017
Shawn H, Manager at Solbakken on Superior, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2017

Patti, we're so glad to hear that you enjoyed your our atmosphere and proximity to local areas. But in addition to your compliments, I appreciate your feedback and will keep them in mind moving forward. Our hope is this won't keep you from returning. We'd love to see you in again soon.

Reviewed August 8, 2017

We rented Cabin 3 for 3 nights with our daughter and her family, including 4 year old and dog. The location is very close to the water with a great view, 2 BR, 1 Bath -- older cabin in need of updating but well equipped, including for cooking. Only major drawback was the beds which have grossly creaky springs -- not just the plastic put on the mattress as a dog-friendly room -- enough so that it was hard to get a decent night's sleep. New ownership is local but not involved and the relatively recent purchase of new mattresses did not solve the problem. Rustic but a great place, close to Grand Marais which is well worth the visit.

Stayed: July 2017
Shawn H, Manager at Solbakken on Superior, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2017

Thank you for joining us. I'm very happy to hear that our atmosphere and view really impressed. And though we have a very rustic charm, we certainly want things to be comfortable. We'll be sure to keep your feedback about the beds in mind. All in all, we're grateful for your support, and can't wait to see you again in the future.

Reviewed July 23, 2017 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at this resort 7/22/17 at the recommendation of a co-worker. If you are accustomed to Hilton, Marriott, etc then this is not for you. We stayed in the vintage motel room 7. Our room was very clean. The bathroom was exactly as my grandparents cabin from the early 1960's yet the rest of the room had nice modern touches like a fridge, stove and dishes. Even the bedding was nice and crisp. The only complaint is the same as others, the beds squeak very loudly. Aside from that, we loved that they had a nice jacuzzi, a fire pit, beautiful decks and views. The cabins below appear to be in transition with some being old and others looked fairly new. The Lodge was relocated and reassembled in the late 1980s. Check out the fireplace--it is beautiful! We found this resort to be quiet and peaceful. Gorgeous views and very friendly service. We will be back!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Shawn H, Manager at Solbakken on Superior, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2017

I'm thankful to know our resort was highly recommended by your coworker, and I'm thrilled you also enjoyed your stay with us. We always want our guests to have a relaxing and comfortable visit, so it's great you were happy with your room and our peaceful setting.

What's more, it's a treat to know you'll both be back. Thank you, and I'm looking forward to it!

Until then,

Reviewed July 23, 2017 via mobile

We are from Kansas City, Missouri and made a three night trip to northern Minnesota. We stayed in the Lillehammer two bedroom lodge room.
PROS:
1. Nice view of Lake Superior
2. Community campfire every night
3. Clean towels everyday
4. Room made up everyday

CONS:
1. Dog hairs on sheets & covers of pullout bed that the grandchildren were going to sleep on (needless to say they couldn't sleep on it the first night-told the front desk-no real apology-just wanted to tell us stories about people sneaking dogs in, they DID change all bedding on pullout)
2. No pressure on the hot water in kitchen sink (a little difficult to wash dishes)
3. Unacceptable shower- bad shower head, curtain didn't contain water-it would go all over the floor, moldy area on wood by the shower
4. One bathroom for 6 people
4. Interior needs major upgrades

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

While it's great to hear the view and housekeeping were impressive, Jenny Ann, I'm sorry to hear you had some issues with the room itself. As an older resort, we try our best to keep each cabin in great shape while maintaining the original charm. That said, we always want you to have a comfortable stay, so I'll be sure to look into the issues you mentioned. I appreciate your candor, and I hope you had a wonderful vacation.

Best wishes,

Reviewed June 26, 2017

We stayed at Solbakken at the end of our North Shore trip for 3 nights. Those 3 nights were the most relaxing of our entire trip. My children and I stayed in the Motel #10 and it was absolutely adorable. The bathroom could use a little updating but it was clean which is really all we needed (I must note the towels were so fluffy not your typical hotel towels!). The front desk staff was very friendly and made us feel right at home. My son loved the access to the shore rocks and ability to climb around. Hot tub in the lodge as well as food items in the gift shop for last minute snacks were a great addition. The facility as a whole was very clean and landscape up kept. I would recommend this spectacular hidden gem to anyone heading up the North shore.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank katiebuckley2017
Shawn H, Manager at Solbakken on Superior, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2017

It was a pleasure having you and your family. I'm so happy to hear that all was to your liking. Hopefully, it won't be the last time we see you. You're always welcome to stay with us.

Safe travels,