“Gem!”

Solbakken on Superior
Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

We stayed here on a beautiful fall weekend get away with friends. Classic old motel. A well stocked kitchen was great for cooking small meals. A great deck out the back with an amazing view. The lodge is stunning with a nice fire in the huge stone fire place. We loved hanging out there. We will be back here for sure.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Shawn H, Manager at Solbakken on Superior, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

I love hearing that you'll be returning to us again in the future! Thank you for sharing this. We're all about providing a space for folks to enjoy the scenary around them and still feel at home. Can't wait to see you again.

Reviewed 8 October 2017

This is the 3rd year in a row that we've stayed in the motel portion of this resort. We started going there because they accept pets plus they had good reviews. We're comfortable there and so is our dog. Plus, the motel rooms are so cute and I love the fact that they have 2 doors...1 facing the parking lot and one on the opposite side with a big deck facing the lake. The view is awesome and this morning we walked down by the lake to take some sunrise photos. The only drawback to Solbakken is that since we've stayed there 3 years in a row, it would be nice if they didn't ask (the last two years) when we check in if we'd ever stayed with them before when they already know we have after asking when we called to make the reservation. It's not like we expect them to know us, but I feel like just another faceless patron. Anyway, I still love it there and plan to go back next year.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Shawn H, Manager at Solbakken on Superior, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2017

Sherrill, I'm sorry to hear that we haven't had the opportunity to get to know you face to face. It's never our intention to make you feel like you aren't seen or heard at Solbakken. We appreciate your patience and understanding with us as we continue to get to know our regulars, and we can't wait to see you again next year.

Reviewed 26 September 2017

We stayed here two nights the week of 09/18/17. The motel room was small, but very cozy and inviting. The shower was a little small, but that was not a major issue. We enjoyed having the windows open so we could hear the waves of the lake. It was just a really good place to stay and we really enjoyed our time here. Next time I would try for one of the cabins. Thank you for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Shawn H, Manager at Solbakken on Superior, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2017

Larry, thank you for choosing to stay with us. I'm delighted that our accommodations made you feel welcome and cozy. We'd love to see you again next time you're in Lutsen.

Reviewed 14 September 2017

We spent 3 nights at Solbakken in the motel portion (#8, I believe). Given the cost of vacationing in the summer on the North Shore, we felt that the value we experienced at Solbakken was well worth it. The staff was friendly, the room was perfect for us, and I enjoyed the history of the re-purposed Sawbill Lodge. I comfortably sat in the beautiful lodge commons area one morning reading the paper, enjoyed some of their complimentary coffee as my family got a few extra winks. If only it hadn't rained all weekend..... but alas, we'd gladly stay at Solbakken again.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Shawn H, Manager at Solbakken on Superior, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2017

Thank you for staying with us! We're glad to hear it was a wonderful three days. Hopefully, next time, the weather will be in our favor.

Safe travels,

Reviewed 9 September 2017

I was by myself, so I stayed in the hotel portion, but when I go back, I am going to rent a cabin. The was a view of the lake from my back deck. The staff was friendly and the room was so charming. The kitchenette was so well stocked! I could have lived in this room short term. I LOVED it. I wish I had the funds to take an entire summer off and stay at this place. The time of year that I was there was not very busy but it was peaceful and serene. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. There was a rocker in the room and when I got up early in the morning to watch the sunrise over the lake, I sat in that rocker while the room was warming up and it was heaven! The staff was very friendly and I definitely will go back.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
Shawn H, Manager at Solbakken on Superior, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2017

We're so happy our charming room, lakeside views, friendly staffed, and well-stocked amenities made your time with us perfect! It's awesome you caught us in our less-busy season and were able to enjoy some alone time, too. Looking forward to welcoming you back again in the future -- we know you're going to love our cabins!

Take care,

Reviewed 23 August 2017

I had stayed here 13 years ago and enjoyed it. Came up for one night this time. Spent the 1st night just north of Duluth in a motel that made this place seem like the "Hilton". And it was not that much more expensive. Beds were comfortable, yes a tad squeaky but not bad. We stayed in motel #7. Had a nice view of the lake, room was very clean. Staff was very personable and knowledgeable. Had a small issue with the plumbing, but the staff was very helpful and apologetic and was resolved in a very reasonable time. Location is excellent. I really didn't notice any noises from Hwy 61 but maybe on a weekend in the summer months it is louder? I would recommend maybe a different shade or light blocking curtain on the front door as the light was a tad bright coming in at night. The lodge is very pretty and welcoming. Perfect for rainy days, plenty of puzzles and games to play there, or bring back to your cabin/motel. Will be back.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Shawn H, Manager at Solbakken on Superior, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2017

Thank you for your continued support. We work hard to be a comfortable place for folks to stay -- no matter the weather. We hope you'll join us again soon.

Reviewed 23 August 2017

My husband and I stayed at this resort in Motel room #11 while we visited the North Shore. It was very comfortable and clean. We drove up and down the coast exploring all the beautiful waterfalls and it only took an hour either way we went - North to Grand Portage or South to Split Rock Lighthouse. Easy drive. We liked sitting on the deck listening to the waves lap against the shoreline and see the moon shining over Lake Superior. Beautiful. One of two problems though was how small the shower was and the shower head couldn't be adjusted-it just sprayed in your face. And there should also be a sign in the rooms or at the check in desk telling you the water tastes awful. The resort provides you with jugs of water, but we had to find out the water was bad when I made a cup of tea and started drinking it.

Room Tip: Motel rooms are nice and roomy.