Shooting Star Casino & Hotel
US$75
US$122
Best Western Plus Holland House(Detroit Lakes)(Great Value!)
US$94
US$92
Agoda.com
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Detroit Lakes(Detroit Lakes)(Great Value!)
US$90
Hotels.com
Fairfield Inn & Suites Detroit Lakes(Detroit Lakes)(Great Value!)
US$103
Hotels.com
Budget Host Inn(Detroit Lakes)
US$70
Holiday Inn Detroit Lakes(Detroit Lakes)(Great Value!)
US$100
Best Western Premier The Lodge on Lake Detroit(Detroit Lakes)(Great Value!)
US$117
US$114
Agoda.com
All reviewsthick towelsluggage cartmain buildingroom was clean and comfortablemicrowave and fridgeplayers cardpool and hot tubminnesota
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We visit here about 4 times a year & this month it was our 20th anniversary so it was special!! As usual we were greeted by friendly helpful staff . Our room was lovely & not too far from the casino - a couple of minutes walk. There is a beautiful swimming pool area for those who do not wish to gamble all the time & a horseshoe shaped cocktail lounge where there is entertainment 4 or 5 nights a week. The casino it self is great with a reasonably large non -smoking area. Unfortunately the casino itself is quite smokey despite their efforts to clear the air. Late at night & early in the morning it is much better.
There are many restaurants, Traditions Buffet, Whispering winds cafe & a deli. There is also a more exclusive restaurant called 2 one 8 ( 218) but it is only open a couple of nights a week ,unfortunately. There is something for everyone.The food in all the restaurants is very good & I especially like the Traditions Buffet where the menu is changed daily.
Like many casinos points can be earned with their club card & this can be used on occasions towards meals & contests. There is a gas station & a liquor store right next to the casino which is convenient. Detroit lakes is only 45 minutes away as well if you want to do some shopping. Go there & have fun!!

Room Tip: Ask for one close to the reception desk in the main part of the hotel. - closer to the casino.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank growlysgirl
Reviewed 21 January 2012

pros: beds are comfy, rooms clean, service good, excellent deli shop with great prices for a lot of food, excellent bar/lounge (mustange lounge), great variety of gaming.
cons: very smokey, very slow restuarant, stay away from buffet.
Overall, still my favorite casino, not perfect, but always a fun night out and plenty to keep you busy and not bored half way through the night.

Room Tip: we stayed in old part of hotel and had no issues with our non-smoking room. convenient parking, albeit a little confusing when first arriving.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 January 2012

My wife and i arrived for our 4 trip to the shooting star. It's a nice getaway for a weekend at a reduced price. The guestrooms are always clean. On this trip, we had the chance to stay in both the stardust wing and in a upgraded room in the main hotel. Do not come here if you can not handle the smoke. The casino floor, even with the air system leaves your clothes a strong stinky smoke smell. We used both the buffet and the whispering winds restaurants. The service is never rude, but just adequate and the food is standard for a casino buffet and restaurant. The one glaring point anfd the reason for my review is the poor poor service standards the management team have allowed to harm the hotel. I had no internet service to my room, and no solution or empathy towrds me. I paid for an upgrade to the main hotel for my 2nd night to solve my internet problem, as i need a connection for work. Still no luck. A simple response was, we have wireless in the hotel. And it was okay for me to sit beside the front desk to access the obviously weak wireless connection.
Thanks folks! A little service or understanding does go a long way. You have lost my business and hope you make changes in the future to stop the shrinking clientele you have from Canada.

Room Tip: Stay away from the Stardust wing. It's mainly an overflow form the main hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank Billyp27
Reviewed 31 October 2011

This has got to be the worst run business I have ever experienced. I am a business owner myself and would never treat my clients the way I was treated.

The customer service was the worst I have ever experienced in my life.

Do not waste your time at this low class dirty facility.

Management truly are the perfect example of ignorance.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME!

Room Tip: Do not waste your time this place is disgusting!!!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank MollyMarie123
Reviewed 12 October 2011

I don't want to waste anymore of my time on this place, but feel that it is my duty to try to warn people away. I could go on for pages detailing all the crap our group had to deal with, but I really don't want to dwell on it any more. We tried to go to management before we left and, but they wouldn't leave their office. I recommend going anywhere else!

FYI We didn't loss any money at the casino. I thought I would mention that in case someone thinks that's why I have a bee in my bonnet.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family