“Good Hotel”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mahnomen
Shooting Star Casino & Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mahnomen
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Only thing wrong with this hotel is that the restaurant and buffet is the worst you can get,they need new management to run the food this manager should be fired for the such service like this,if i was a manage i would turn the whole system a lot better than they got.They increased the prices to high in Whisper restaurant that they think its a 5 star restaurant .i hear from so many complaints from manitoba people who go there which seems like a constant problem so years if do do want to eat there eat at the deli Everything else is really good at the shooting star.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Brian8

Reviewed 30 April 2012

This was my first time ever gambling in the United States and this is what I thought of the whole experience. I was on a bus tour so it's hard to tell how the value of the room was but from what I saw it was your standard hotel room rate at 50 dollars. My hotel was non smoking but was surprised to find many cigarette burn marks on the floor and blankets. The room was smaller then other casino hotels I have been to. The television didn't offer much for variety of channels, only about 15 or so. I couldn't have asked for a better location of my room, I was very close to the pool, ice machine and casino. The pool area was really impressive, it contained a pool with the deepest part hitting 8 feet, a wading pool for kids and a hot tub. I also noticed an arcade at the basement portion of the pool room. I also enjoyed the adult swim from 10pm-12am. Now for my whole casino experience. I was taken back when I got there because you are allowed to smoke in the casino and that was a first for me. It was hard to get used to and my eyes were sore. After the first day I unfortunately got used to it but was not a fan of a casino you can smoke at. I enjoyed the restaurant choices with 4 being on site, the deli, buffet area, 2 one 8 and the whispering winds. I don't really recommend going to whispering winds for breakfast since you only have two options to chose from. One thing I was disappointed with is the fact that the casino has free beverages throughout the place but restaurants located 10 feet away still charged for pop and coffee, the reason I was disappointed is that other casinos I have been to had free pop and coffee throughout the gaming area and the restaurants. Overall I did have a good time at the Shooting Star and I can see myself coming back in the future some time hopefully longer then a 3 day trip.

Room Tip: Being on the 2110-2120 rooms are the best location in my opinion.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dorian88
Reviewed 18 April 2012

This hotel was awful from the moment we checked in(with the rude girl!) to the moment we tried to use our shower the the whole showerhead was missing! When brought to staff attention we were told that they were completly booked and that we were checking out in 2 hours so they could not switch rooms("we don't want to have to reclean a room) so we could at least shower before driving( 8 hours) home! We will definitly NOT stay here again! We will drive the 43 miles and stay in Detroit Lakes to visit family that lives in the Mahnomen area! A real disappointment!

Room Tip: Stay at Best Western Holland House in Detroit Lakes! A great breakfast and waterslide! Wonderful sta...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Krista G
Reviewed 11 April 2012

my husband daughter and i visited the restaurant the food was ok but the service was terrible. we were seated at 1:00 pm the waitress took our order and we waited and waited and waited for our food and then the waitress came to our table and said the reason for taking so long was they had to defrost the shrimp (theses were deep fried shrimp you just take out of package and throw in deep fryer) well when we got the ticket the waitress forgot to put our order in and the time on the ticket shown was 1:23 when she put the order in, dont mind if forget to put order in put dont lie about it either worst service

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank cheryl m
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We visit here about 4 times a year & this month it was our 20th anniversary so it was special!! As usual we were greeted by friendly helpful staff . Our room was lovely & not too far from the casino - a couple of minutes walk. There is a beautiful swimming pool area for those who do not wish to gamble all the time & a horseshoe shaped cocktail lounge where there is entertainment 4 or 5 nights a week. The casino it self is great with a reasonably large non -smoking area. Unfortunately the casino itself is quite smokey despite their efforts to clear the air. Late at night & early in the morning it is much better.
There are many restaurants, Traditions Buffet, Whispering winds cafe & a deli. There is also a more exclusive restaurant called 2 one 8 ( 218) but it is only open a couple of nights a week ,unfortunately. There is something for everyone.The food in all the restaurants is very good & I especially like the Traditions Buffet where the menu is changed daily.
Like many casinos points can be earned with their club card & this can be used on occasions towards meals & contests. There is a gas station & a liquor store right next to the casino which is convenient. Detroit lakes is only 45 minutes away as well if you want to do some shopping. Go there & have fun!!

Room Tip: Ask for one close to the reception desk in the main part of the hotel. - closer to the casino.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank growlysgirl
Reviewed 21 January 2012

pros: beds are comfy, rooms clean, service good, excellent deli shop with great prices for a lot of food, excellent bar/lounge (mustange lounge), great variety of gaming.
cons: very smokey, very slow restuarant, stay away from buffet.
Overall, still my favorite casino, not perfect, but always a fun night out and plenty to keep you busy and not bored half way through the night.

Room Tip: we stayed in old part of hotel and had no issues with our non-smoking room. convenient parking, albe...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 January 2012

My wife and i arrived for our 4 trip to the shooting star. It's a nice getaway for a weekend at a reduced price. The guestrooms are always clean. On this trip, we had the chance to stay in both the stardust wing and in a upgraded room in the main hotel. Do not come here if you can not handle the smoke. The casino floor, even with the air system leaves your clothes a strong stinky smoke smell. We used both the buffet and the whispering winds restaurants. The service is never rude, but just adequate and the food is standard for a casino buffet and restaurant. The one glaring point anfd the reason for my review is the poor poor service standards the management team have allowed to harm the hotel. I had no internet service to my room, and no solution or empathy towrds me. I paid for an upgrade to the main hotel for my 2nd night to solve my internet problem, as i need a connection for work. Still no luck. A simple response was, we have wireless in the hotel. And it was okay for me to sit beside the front desk to access the obviously weak wireless connection.
Thanks folks! A little service or understanding does go a long way. You have lost my business and hope you make changes in the future to stop the shrinking clientele you have from Canada.

Room Tip: Stay away from the Stardust wing. It's mainly an overflow form the main hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank Billyp27

Been to Shooting Star Casino & Hotel? Share your experiences!