“Try not to”

Rapidan Dam Store
Ranked #2 of 9 Dessert in Mankato
Cuisines: American
Reviewed August 5, 2016 via mobile

Miss this unique little place. You would never stop here unless you have local knowledge. It looks like a 100 year old dilapidated defunct gas station from the outside. Small inside filled with old furnishings. Two people handling everything. Ordered the basic small hamburger. Nothing else but a hamburger and pickles appeared in an unexpected short time for the 4 of us. Conclusion? Possibly the best tasting hamburger I have ever eaten. The pie shared by my wife and I was equally as good. Set next to the dam across the street from the park was absolutely beautiful. Find out how to get there and enjoy.

Date of visit: August 2016

Reviewed July 6, 2016 via mobile

We usually stop here as a pit stop on our bike ride from Kato. We always enjoy stopping in for some food and refreshments.

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed June 30, 2016 via mobile

The owner Jim and his kids are so friendly. Jenny makes great homemade pies and they have the best Malts. This little hole in the wall burger joint will give you great food and wonderful conversation from the owner. It is worth the drive and you can take a look at the Dam.

Reviewed June 29, 2016 via mobile

The stories from the owner were so fun to hear - The Dam Store opened in1910. Yummy milkshake. Loved the bags of snacks clipped over the counter. And it was QUIET! Definitely going back

Reviewed June 28, 2016

The four of us ordered the "World Famous Burgers" since we heard such wonderful things about them. California burgers for all of us. They were so greasy I could not eat the entire thing! And it wasn't all that big, did I miss something? I once worked in a little cafe like this one and NEVER could I make a greasy burger on the grill. So I am still wondering how they did it. The onion rings were greasy and over-cooked. The French Fries weren't much better. The best thing was the shake and the pie! This is a tiny little place with a jukebox right in the door. This little cafe is a throw back to the 1960's. We sat next to the window in the front of the cafe and did NOT see the dam which is a bit of a walk from the cafe. The bathrooms were clean but watch your heads because the doors are short, making the bathroom feel really small. Hey, but it works! Didn't get a bill...you had to go up to the counter and tell them what you ate. I am sorry to give this place a poor rating but this was our experience. They quit serving breakfast early so they can use the space for the pies. Maybe you would have a better burger than we did. Good Luck.