“Great neighborhood find - the Cheese Curds is a must!”

3 Squares Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 125 Restaurants in Maple Grove
Price range: US$7 - US$16
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed September 12, 2016

Three Squares is among the first local restaurants I found in Maple Grove when I moved here 3 years ago and one where I also keep going back! I have ordered a bunch of items from their menu and have never been disappointed. My absolute favorite item to order, which I always make room for, is their Cheese Curds! It has a light crispy beer batter and comes with an apricot chipotle glaze - the combination of which is absolutely heavenly!!! I have had their Chicken & Waffles, Steak & Pierogies, Beef Stroganoff, Grilled Meatloaf, and Roasted Duck & Grits more than a couple of times and they were delectable each time. It is hard to pick a favorite entree, it will always depend on what I feel like eating that day. I usually come here for dinner, and when I come early enough, I can make it to the Happy Hour and get my favorite appetizer, the Cheese Curds, at the Happy Hour price. It is great place for lunch too, they serve sandwiches and entrees, which have quite big serving sizes, but I do not mind the leftovers. I have been here for breakfast and have ordered their Biscuits & Gravy and their Chicken & Waffles. Both dishes come with sausage gravy which has great flavor and mouthfeel - most importantly, the gravy is not "starchy" at all. For dessert, I really love their Banana Cream Pie - it is a deconstucted banana cream pie, which offers a distinct experience. They can get really busy in the weekends and unfortunately, do not take reservations, however, I do feel that the wait is worth it! I have taken family and friends here, and was never disappointed. When, I do not feel like cooking or going out, I also order to go. Finally, they have excellent service!

1  Thank Cheryl S

Reviewed September 6, 2016

To tell the truth, we decided to stop here for dinner on Labor Day in order to wait out the freeway traffic returning from lake cabins. It is one of the Blue Plate family of restaurants in the Twin Cities (Highland Grill. Longfellow Grill, the Lowry and a number of others). There is ample inside seating and a patio that is pleasant and quiet.

There is a long craft beer menu that is quite good but the menu souls use more hard ciders and is thin on non-alcoholic options. I had a blueberry lavender lemonade that was icky sweet and very light on the lavender. They need to make the lemonade fresh (this was a mix) and try some other flavors. One I enjoyed in Hungary had orange slices and sweet basil leaves and was fresh and tasty without being overly sweet.

There are a number of inventive appetizers: pierogi, tempura green beans and number of others. We ordered the green beans. Though it is a great idea, the tempura batter was too heavy on flour (should be light and eggy) and the temperature of the flyer was too low, leaving the crust a little too oily. They served it with an icky sweet dipping sauce with ginger and garlic. Catsup was better and I chose to eat them naked. It's a great idea--just improve the technique!

Our entrees were quite good. My partner had pappardelle with pesto, asparagus and spinach. It was very tasty, overly salted and had way too much black pepper. My veggies burger was the winner. It was a delicious black bean pattie (without the common excess fat) with sautéed onions and peppers--lots of them. The burger came with french fries; I asked for the sweet potato fries which were chunky, crisp and served with a delicious chipotle aioli that is a signature dish in the Blue Plate chain. We didn't stay for dessert because the dessert choices were pretty commonplace. (We had some better port and fig gelato at home.)

The overall menu has some inventive dishes (e.g. duck with grits), but could use more vegetarian and vegan choices. (As good as they seem to be at burgers, how about a grilled portobello sandwich?) Service was friendly and prompt without being rushed even though it was a little busy.

We may well stop again . . . on the way back from the lake.

1  Thank Stephen P
Reviewed August 30, 2016

My wife and I ate here recently. We ate on the outdoor patio. I ordered the fish and chips, she ordered the beef stroganoff. We both loved our meals. The waitress was friendly and the prices were reasonable. We will definitely return. This weekend, in fact!

Reviewed August 28, 2016 via mobile

We ate dinner here on a Saturday night. Short wait just enough time to order drinks at bar and have a few sips. Good selection of beer. Mixed drinks were a little pricy. Menu selections were varied but not deep variety and not many chicken or fish options. The bourbon chicken was good and others at our table thought well of beef stroganoff and the duck with grits. Meatloaf was Ok.

Reviewed August 23, 2016 via mobile

With limited choices for breakfast in Maple Grove, 3 Squares Restaurant is a welcome eatery that happens to be a great place to start the day. The breakfast menu offers a full range of items, including seasonal specials. And 3 Squares is open for lunch, and dinner too with a full service bar and outdoor seating. Several colleagues and I have held a standing monthly get-together here for over a year now and have no plans to move anytime soon. Highly recommended.

1  Thank PaulDuaneBrinkman