“doesn't look like the photos”

Extended Stay America - Minneapolis - Maple Grove
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Maple Grove
Lafayette, Indiana, United States
“doesn't look like the photos”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

no carts available when i arrived, had to make 3 trips to unpack. the mattress is hard as a rock... the bathroom sink as no room to store stuff... the TV is a box style, 19"... it seems like a hotel from the 80s. Only thing missing is the shag carpeting. Not impressed, will never stay here again. Big Regret right now.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. My first room had hair all over the tub (not from someone's head), my second room had stains all over the sheets, and then after they moved me to their sister property it had bars on the lobby window. I had to slide my ID under the glass like I was in a liquor store in a bad part of town. The woman working told me she wouldn't even stay at this hotel. The mattress was identical to a crib mattress. WORST experience ever!!!!! GM never returned my phone calls also.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2011

This is our regular hotel stay when we are in Minneapolis. The last time we were here, we put in a room next to some young teenagers who were likely to party all night etc. So went back to the front desk and asked to be moved. Which was easily done. The place is clean, with the exception of the bathroom toilet, could use some extra cleaning...it offers a full fridge and microwave and some kitchen accessories.. good if you have a young family and need a place for milk/formula etc...Overall if you are coming to Minneapolis for shopping and outings than you most likely only head back to the hotel for a good night's rest...The place is nothing fancy but clean and affordable.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Cedar Falls, Iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2011

Again, I tried to get a really good deal thorugh priceline, I think I may have bid too low and gotten a hotel that I may have never otherwise considered staying at. This was an extended stay hotel, I have stayed at other types of these hotels in the past, and those always seemed nicer.

I arrived late, and was kind of tired. The hotel itself smelled like an old bar, especially in the hallways. While the lobby was decent, the carpeting in the hallways was old and kind of dirty. The keys appeared to be what I would guess the first key card system introduced in hotels. No magnetic stirp but punched holes in a plastic card. (not that big of deal to me though)

What bothered me the most was the things that housekeeping seemed to miss in this room. Biggest and most concerning was that there was a grocery bag OVER THE SMOKE DETECTOR! There was some hand writen workout schedule taped to the front of the bathroom door as well as crayon markings on the inside of the bathroom door. The bed was hard as a board, and there was no shampoo in the shower which is the first time I had ever been to a hotel without shampoo in the shower. Though the kitchen was nice, there was no soap to clean the pots/ dishes if needed. I was there for two nights, and the room was never visited by housekeeping (another oddity for a 2 star hotel). I can understand if somone is staying for an extended period, but for those staying only a couple nights, the room should have been cleaned. (my opinion)

With all that said I got the room for cheap, and it is hard to complain about a room when you get a good deal on it, but for a two star hotel I expected just a little more. My friend thought the place reminded him of a Motel 6. Next time I will bid a bit more money so I dont get stuck in a hotel like this one. I would definately not consider this a two star hotel. I would consider it a 1 star at best.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a really cheap rate or go elsewhere
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank adpanther
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2010

While I had read mixed reviews of this hotel elsewhere, most were older ones. It has no shampoo offered, but does have soap! The small kitchen looks fine (I just stayed one night and didn't use it) and all else was what one would expect for a higher rated hotel. The bedding was comfortable, a/c worked fine, as did the TV, shower, etc. Had ablow drier. However, as it has no workout area, breakfast included or "business center "(such as free internet - although one can get internet service in one's room for $5 or so - I think for the duration of one's stay), I guess it has a lower rating - although it has a washer/dryer! I got a great rate and was quite pleased with the quality. The location was a bit hidden, but easy to find and quite convenient to the highway. Also, the lobby was small, but attractive and the staff was welcoming. Also, of course, due to the "extended stay" nature of the place - no daily maid service, which is always fine with me. I can make my own bed, if I want it done - and don't use a lot of towels!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank enghien
Kansas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2009

This hotel provides the minimum conditions you would expect from a hotel-motel. Furniture is old, like the keys for the doors system. No shampoo, conditioner or lotion provided. Soap of a very regular quality. Very limited selection of TV channels for an extended stay. Towels old and not very soft. Bed - regularly comfortable. Pillows are definitely terrible. Smell in the room is a combination of old-mold-smoke. They provided only one bag of coffee for all the stay, and if I wanted more towels or sheets I would have to pick them at the front desk. We stayed for three nights and that was more than enough for me. I couldn't stay for a week or longer in that place. When we travel for work, comfort at night is definitely important so we can function properly at work. My coworkers had even more complains than myself - no hot water, noisy refrigerators. Definitely we plan on going somewhere else the next time we go to Maple Grove. Great restaurants around and Minneapolis not far away.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
minneapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2008

Clean room at a fair price... Friendly staff that treated my like a REAL person!

• Liked — the kitchen
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)