“Very good food- authentic & well priced”
Review of Szechuan Spice

Szechuan Spice
Ranked #373 of 1,883 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed July 5, 2015 via mobile

We will be back- the food, service and prices were all great. We tried many of the items and we will back back to try others! We enjoyed the the following appetizers in order if our favorites: Hot Sour Soup ($2.75), Mini Juicy Buns ($7.50), and the crabmeat balls ($6.95). Next we enjoyed our entrees of Pork in Garlic Sauce ($10.95) , which was pork with mushrooms & chestnuts, as well as the Szechuan Spicy Stir Fry. ($13.95) which was beef, chicken and tofu with a spicy sauce, jalapeños and red peppers
The service was excellent and attentive.
We enjoyed a Tsing Tao ($4.50)and diet coke ($1.95). Pictures provided of all items. We have plenty of left overs!

2  Thank jlm456

Reviewed April 19, 2015

Don't miss out on the soup dumplings (steamed dumplings that yield a nice broth inside once cooked). Spicy fish is our favorite dish here. Have tried several places for authentic cuisine in the cities, and this one is hands down our favorite -- for the choices, the quality and the value.

1  Thank Heather M
Reviewed January 29, 2015

Our group of four tried two appetizers (juicy buns and Szechuan wontons in hot sauce) and four entrées (tea smoked duck, Hunan pork, orange chicken, and Szechuan Spice stirfry). The wontons were delicious (and slippery little devils to eat with chopsticks) but the juicy buns were very bland and the dumpling outer shell was doughy. The buns were served with a vinegar sauce, which helped somewhat. So one High and one Low.
The entrées were also a mixed bag, the stirfry carried a two-pepper symbol, and it was indeed spicy hot, but quite good. The orange chicken was a surprise, with golfball sized chunks of darkly glazed chicken and a subtle orange flavoring, also quite good. Bits of orange peel were served with it, but they were cooked too hard and not chewable. The Hunan pork was perhaps the best, with tender pork and a rich, slightly sweet, dark sauce. The tea smoked duck was a definite Low. Evidently it is smoked and then hacked apart with a cleaver, which shatters the bones so almost every mouthful contains tiny bits of bone. The flavor may be an acquired taste that I doubt any of us will ever acquire. The duck meat was also quite dry.
Service was exceptionally friendly and helpful, and on one order we were deftly steered away from one dish to another. That was another High.
The ambiance is a mixture. The walls still have the gorgeous deep plum color left behind by the previous restaurant, Zen. The curtains that provide a bit of privacy between tables on the north wall are still in place. The overall atmosphere is marred by two TV screens, one over the entrance and one over the bar tuned to Fox News. The bar seemed to be a resting place for employees and hangers on, who talked loudly. So this category was a draw.
There was one inexcusable Low. To close the door to the men's bathroom, it is necessary to push on the door. The door above the doorknob was a sticky mess from too many people with dirty hands pushing it closed. I thought of cleaning it with soap and towels, but the paper towel dispenser was empty. When I told the cashier about the lack of towels, she said they were aware of it and the company that supplies them will be coming to fill it. Dirty bathrooms are not a good sign.
The date of our visit was January 28, 2015.

Reviewed October 21, 2014

We have eaten at Szechuan Spice about 4-5 times for lunch. Usually we take out. The place is never busy and it makes me worry because the food is quite excellent and they are willing to make it spicy if you ask them to. So many places detect my white guy voice and give me white guy spice levels.

Ok, enough of that borderline comment. We have had something at Szechuan Sice a couple times called Dan Dan Noodles. I've asked what is in it and like any good chef they tell the truth and leave out the key ingredients. I have no idea what is in this stuff but it is good. A little oily, but super tasty. Probably hot chili oil.

We have had Chinese classics like Kung Pao and stir fries and everything is well above average and very reasonable priced.

I highly encourage you to give it a try. It is one of the better Chinese places in the area to my taste.

1  Thank ScottGrahamMpls
Reviewed September 21, 2014

We wanted to try something different than our usual restaurants. I searched and found a list of 18 “essential” restaurants in Minneapolis. This one was on the list.

There is metered street parking in front. We parked one block behind the restaurant where there is free street parking. We didn’t know they had their own parking lot on the other side of Lyndale Avenue just south of the restaurant. Free parking is shared with H. Design Salon. Next time, we’ll park there.

I ordered Shrimp with mixed vegetables $14.95. Husband ordered General Tao Chicken (one pepper) $10.95. Each dish is served with a nice heaping bowl of white rice. Husband and I split both orders. It’s nice to share.

Both dishes were delicious. There was a generous portion of meat in both. The mixed vegetables included pea pods, carrots, broccoli, mushrooms, zucchini, and watercress. The General Tao came with broccoli. We even at the chili peppers in the dish! Both had delicious sauces. I left with very clear sinuses-a sign for me of good healthy cooking. The meal is topped off by a fortune cookie.

The portion sizes were perfect. Not too much. Not too little.

I love the atmosphere inside. There are some tables located by the window for two. There are a couple of large round tables for bigger groups. There are tables for two with curtain. Either way, I found the restaurant relaxing. When we arrived, there was one other couple. After they left, There were two large groups of Chinese Americans who came in and sat at the big round tables. There was one other Chinese American couple when we left. A good sign of authentic cuisine.

Part of the reason the in house dining is so peaceful and they still thrive is due to a healthy take out/delivery clientele. There were two people who came in for takeout while we were there. They also deliver within a 5 mile radius with a minimum $20 order and a $1 delivery charge.

We recognized the waitress from the Szechuan Star, no longer in existence. She has years of experience. She was friendly, polite and provided good service.

The bathroom was very clean, pretty, and it smelled good.

I am so glad we found this restaurant. It provides for my favorite things when dining out; a quiet atmosphere, healthy food, choices with lots of vegetables and reasonably priced. I’ll look forward to coming here again. Great place for a date.

1  Thank Inner C