“Very Much Improved”

Add it.
First Wok
Ranked #1,111 of 1,946 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Reviewed August 1, 2016 via mobile

We hadn't eaten here for a few years, as the last time we dined here, the food was so-so. Last night, both of our meals were great. My wife had shrimp with cashews in a brown sauce. She orders this a lot, and both of us thought 1st Wok's version was the best we ever tasted. The sauce was rich, thick and very tasty. There was an abundance of shrimp and cashews, and the veggies were very fresh. My Yang Chow Fried Rice was chock full of chicken, shrimp, and pork. Both potions were large enough to box up a second meal. The service was fine and prices reasonable. The place is not fancy and has no atmosphere. However, you can't eat atmosphere. We will definitely return to 1st Wok because the food is great.

Reviewed July 2, 2016

OK, I've been having their take-out for many years simply because it is always great. The Chicken Egg foo young is my go-to. It is remarkably good every time. This is classic Chinese food and they will spice it up or cook it to your exact desires.

Reviewed July 19, 2015

If you set your expecations and like very consistent takeout Chinese, you will like First Wok. I takeout from there often.

Reviewed June 2, 2015

I ordered sweet and sour chicken. The sauce was really sour and runny. The chicken overly greasy. It lacked flavor. I eat anything, literally, and I wouldn't eat this ever again.

Reviewed February 5, 2015

I've been scrolling through some reviews of Minneapolis restaurants just to see how they compare with my own experience, and I was greatly surprised to see First Wok so far down on the list, with just one review, a "terrible." My wife, daughter, and I have eaten there (or taken out) perhaps a hundred times over the past twenty years. It's the best value in the neighborhood for Chinese. If you think that a dish is "flavorless" or "boring," tell your server how you would like it prepared, and it will be replaced. My wife doesn't like mushrooms, but loves broccoli, so everything she orders is with that substitution. My vegan daughter, disregarding the menu, freely orders whatever vegetables and sauce she wants with her tofu, specifies how hot it should be, and is very happy that there is plenty left over for lunch the next day. I love their sha cha sauce, whether on pork or shrimp, with extra broccoli. They do a brisk take-out business, so it's always easy to get a table. We have never been disappointed with the service. I'm tempted to rate them "excellent" just to bring the average of the reviews up to "good," but "very good" is the right rating, based on value and flexibility.