“Poor Value”

Econo Lodge New Ulm
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in New Ulm
Reviewed 13 September 2016

The Econolodge in New Ulm, MN is not a good value. It's Wifi is awful. It was slow and I was dumped back to a Choice Plus hotels home page several times. I finally gave up in frustration. The furniture showed a lot of wear. The AC thermostat did not function properly. At a setting of 65, the room temp was about 75 degrees. The breakfast area was not large enough to accommodate guests even if the motel were only half full. I would have rated the motel a "1" except the bed was comfortable (my top criterion) - it didn't sag. My wife & I prefer queen beds. That is not an option; rooms have two double beds.

Room Tip: Traffic noise is not an issue, but the north side of the building is away from the main street.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 September 2016

Very nice clean room. If you have a boat or large trailer this parking lot has plenty of room for you to park. the morning meal had a good spread from coffee ,juice,milk waffles, muffins to boiled eggs. The average rating is only due to the fact that people that will want a photo op in front of the motel and it is not a photo op frontage. I would have no problem staying here again!

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve O
Reviewed 23 August 2016

Excellent value. Very competitively priced and clean. Continental breakfast was great.
I will defiantly stay again when in the area. Only down side is there is no pool, so if traveling with kids keep that in mind.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2016 via mobile

The king size bed was comfortable. There was a rather large stain on the fitted sheet. Set up of the room was not ideal. Really wish there was a nightstand on both sides of the bed. The morning was loud from housekeeping in the hall and at 9am there was a knock on our door though checkout time was at 11. Overall i would rather spend an extra $15 per night to stay at the Microtel which also has a pool! (Econo Lodge does not).

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2016

The accomadations are acceptable for the price. The place is dated but the overall room was clean and the beds were very comfortable. The bathroom is dark and dingy and ther was mold around the top of the shower. There was was a dirty towel hanging in the bathroom. Breakfast is basic and the place they have it is like next to the front desk and hardly any room. The staff was not friendly i was not recognized as a Choice rewards member and the keys kept losing accuracy and were not by a cell phone. Lady at front desk at check out was not very friendly.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2016 via mobile

This hotel needs a complete renovation and it isn't the cleanest of all places, there is just no getting around this. There was a slight smell in our room, although I couldn't tell where it was coming from or what it was. By the time we left, I decided it was probably urine....maybe on the carpets left by pets. Not sure though. To be on the safe side, I never walked barefooted on the carpets. The refrigerator didn't shut completely so our drinks were cool, not cold, in the morning. Coffee grinds left around the tiny coffee maker in the room. Beds were not the most comfortable. Air conditioning worked great. We didn't eat breakfast, but they had a waffle maker. It's about $20 overpriced per night. I've stayed in better Econolodges, but I've stayed in worse too. From the reviews, I kinda knew what I was getting into, but there's just not a whole lot of choice in hotels along the highway we were driving. We were only there a few hours to sleep. I would not have stayed for more than one night. Check your bill and credit card statements after staying here. When I checked out, I realized I was charged $5 more than what they quoted me and I signed for the night before. I was too tired to argue about $5. I felt lucky it was just $5. Other reviews noted they've been double charged with no refund. I'm watching my credit card carefully.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2016

The lobby is small, the breakfast area is quite small, and the carpet in the hallways is old and could use a thorough scrubbing (or replacing!) That all being said, the rooms were decent, and certainly spotless, and the staff was lovely. The only real negative, for us, is that we were on the third floor and there is no elevator. But, really, it wasn't a big deal, just a nuisance to have to haul luggage up and down the stairs. At around $75 it was a good value, and the fridge and microwave in our room was a nice touch.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
4.3 km away
Colonial Inn
Colonial Inn
#4 of 5 in New Ulm

Been to Econo Lodge New Ulm? Share your experiences!