“Budget and Nothing More”

Econo Lodge New Ulm
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in New Ulm
Reviewed 22 May 2017

Stayed with a group that selected for the trailer parking. While the rate was excellent, you get what you pay for. Room cleanliness I'd rate a 2 as I think the sheets were clean? But, stained and worn! Toilet seat falling apart, and toilet loose. Floors dirty. TV had a static noise, I believe due to wrong audio cable used for connection. Also could not remove the closed captioning. I reported static noise 1st day and front desk assured he would take care of it, but they did not look at it. Dated and very worn furniture. Wi-fi is useless, used my own hot-spot. The window upper sill was leaking from rain and had a nice puddle pooling on the lower sill. A truck was parked along side of building right in front of our window (should not be a parking zone).
The bright side was breakfast choices were decent. The bed was comfortable - bring your own pillows. Seems to be a favorite for truckers.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge New Ulm

Reviewed 13 November 2016

We stayed here because we couldn't get in anywhere else with a king bed. The bed was fine and it was nice to have a fridge/microwave, but that's about all I can say for the Econo Lodge. The price was comparable to an adjacent hotel, so I can't say we got a deal either.
Let's start with a suggestion - Magic Erasers! The walls in the room and bathroom looked to be smeared with mud or something dark. The floorboards in the bathroom haven't been cleaned probably since the place opened. I didn't take a shower, but my bf said it was hideous.
There was a knocking noise all night long, which thankfully didn't bother us but we were very tired.
Our view was an RV parked in front of our window. There's a large parking lot, it could've been parked away from the building.
We didn't stay for the free breakfast since we were in a hurry. But, I'll say that even if they accept pets (I think they do), they shouldn't be allowed in the breakfast eating area. Seemed the staff, guests (?) and their dog were having a fun time when we checked out.
I'd love to go back to New Ulm, it has lots to offer, but will never stay here again. I'll put up with a queen bed next time.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cathy C
Reviewed 24 October 2016

I stay here about three times a month. The people who work here are so nice. Amanda the girl with black hair and pink nails is always nice and helpful. This is not the Hilton Inn but its not a motel six either. Very clean and wonderfully priced make this a good choice. Good place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 October 2016

Few things need to be updated in fixed like to return Springs of the doors switches on lights and caulking around a bathtub
Counter service was excellent people are very nice will stay there again
Close to everything where you need to go

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2016

Sort of shady looking when we arrived. Hallway and steps were very dirty, but i think that there are a lot of construction or road workers staying here, and it was trailings left by them. Breakfast was so so. Reasonable rates, stayed with our dog (pet friendly- add 10$). During breakfast the front desk lady kept picking her nails and trimming her nails and it was just gross....you eat breakfast behind the front desk so you see everything. Knock on door by housekeeping happened to us too at 9 am....not impressed with that either. I loved the comfortable bed. I would stay again as it was very reasonable.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2016

The Econolodge in New Ulm, MN is not a good value. It's Wifi is awful. It was slow and I was dumped back to a Choice Plus hotels home page several times. I finally gave up in frustration. The furniture showed a lot of wear. The AC thermostat did not function properly. At a setting of 65, the room temp was about 75 degrees. The breakfast area was not large enough to accommodate guests even if the motel were only half full. I would have rated the motel a "1" except the bed was comfortable (my top criterion) - it didn't sag. My wife & I prefer queen beds. That is not an option; rooms have two double beds.

Room Tip: Traffic noise is not an issue, but the north side of the building is away from the main street.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2016

Very nice clean room. If you have a boat or large trailer this parking lot has plenty of room for you to park. the morning meal had a good spread from coffee ,juice,milk waffles, muffins to boiled eggs. The average rating is only due to the fact that people that will want a photo op in front of the motel and it is not a photo op frontage. I would have no problem staying here again!

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
38.7 km away
Super 8 St. James
Super 8 St. James
#1 of 1 in Saint James

Been to Econo Lodge New Ulm? Share your experiences!