“Very nice”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Nisswa
DFW,Texas
“Very nice”
Reviewed 29 May 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for a wedding 05/25. We were only there for 1 night, but here is my experience. Beautiful location, the grounds are kept up very well. They should have a few more signs indicating where the lobby is as you don't park directly in front of it. That being said, the main lodge is 100 years old and has been beautifully restored. It is rustic yet modern and feels very homey.

We stayed in one of the rooms above the main lodge (there are only about 10 rooms total in the lodge). It is located above the lobby/restaurant area and you need to climb some fairly steep stairs to get there (no elevator). The room was recently rennovated and had beautiful (original?) wood floors, leather chairs, flat screen TV, granite counters, fridge, Keurig coffee maker, dual shower heads and a very nice bed. My only complaint about the room is that there is no full length mirror, just the vanity in the bathroom. Overall, the room was great.

From the main lodge, there are several out buildings. We only explored two, the reception hall and the pool. My daughter thuroughly enjoyed the pool area, but she is 5. It is actually a water slide and spay park with two large hot tubs. There is no real pool that you can do laps or anything. It is perfect for kids. The pool building leads out to the lake front and dock. There is a large playground area in front of the beach as well.

The wedding was held on the main lawn between the pool building and the main lodge, it is a very large space and was shaded nicely. The reception was held in their main hall on the other side of the lodge. It seems to be a very new building and was quite lovely. It was very large and could accomodate outdoor and indoor events. The dinner at the reception was fantastic, definately 5 stars!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank rdmadm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 28 May 2012

My wife and I booked the Silver Golf package for 2 nights and three rounds of golf for May 21 - 23. I called to book the stay and the agent recommended that we stay at Roy Lake Cabin as they were a year old and had full kitchen’s. These cabins were about 1 ½ miles from the main resort which was fine with us. From the pictures they cabins looked real nice and we liked that they had full kitchens. About a week before we got a call from Grand View saying there was a problem with a water leak in the cabin and they had to put us in a different cabin. We were told it was very nice but it only had a mini fridge and microwave. That was disappointing news bit I accepted the changes as I felt I had no option. The cabin we were given was nice and but I felt that we got lesser accommodations at the same cost to us. The cabin (#129) was nice and right next to the beach. It may be a bit loud in the summer due to the proximity to the swim area but was nice and quiet in May.

We arrived on Monday, after playing golf at the Preserve, about 4:00 PM and check in went fairly quickly. When we were done we were shown where our cabin was but the clerk did not know exactly where we were to park. We walked down from the lodge to our cabin and from there determined the best place to park. While we were ate the lodge we saw the sign for the Chocolate Ox and after we moved into the cabin we thought we would go for some ice cream.. We called the front desk asking the hours for the Ox and were told 10:30 - 5:30 so we took a leisurely walk arriving at about 5:00 just as they were closing for the day…phew that was close. Come to find out they were open 12 - 5 in May. I would have expected that the front desk would have known the hours.

The breakfast buffet came with the package was outstanding. It had a great selection of foods including make your own waffles, wide selection of fresh fruit, various egg dishes, potatoes and breakfast meats. We did not eat other meals at the lodge but the restaurants and menus looked good and the prices were not out of line.

When we checked out we were using a couple gift cards and charging the remaining balance. This seemed to confuse the agent but I attribute it ti her being new and had not be trained on processing transactions like this. Everyone else was busy so there was no one available to help her immediately. She did finally get the procedure and we got checked out. My wife found a sweatshirt she wanted to buy and we purchased it.. Not until we got home did we notice that it still had the security ink device still attached.

I did call and spoke to a supervisor about the sweatshirt and the other issues we encountered. She said told us how would could remove the tag or that they would pay to have us mail it back. She was very apologitic when I told her all the issues we had and did send us a $50 gift card.

The golf is great at Grand View and the vacation was very good except for a few rough spots.

If you go make sure you check out the Chocolate Ox.. the ice cream is great and the make chocolate and fudge. They also have a great selection of nostalgia candies.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank RonJac
Jonesboro, Arkansas
Reviewed 17 May 2012

This place reminds me of the resort on Dirty Dancing...without the dancing. Our first stay here was in June 2010 on a fabulous red cabin on Roy Lake. It was away from the main property. It was marvelous! I loved it. We went back in June 2011 and stayed in a cabin on the main property and I was so disappointed. It was old, the air conditioning didn't work well and the carpet seemed icky. The bed was not near as comfortable either. I yearned for that red cabin on Roy Lake the whole visit! I felt like I was at camp...and for the amount of money spent on the trip, I should have never felt that way!
The spa is wonderful. I have received a hot stone massage both trips and they were amazing.
The food needs more zest, seasoning, spice, character. It is just sort of plain. We are from the south so we like our food kicked up a notch.
I think some upkeep could be made to some of the cabins to make it more 5 star since the prices are 5 star prices.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank RandsTravelingGirl
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 16 May 2012

It's a lovely property with good people working there. I recommend Grand View to people and I would stay there again in the future. My experience overall was very good, but not fantastic, and that's because of what I call "the details." Here are the positives: great beach area, beautiful setting, comfortable accommodations, nice linens, historic building with charm, good food with multiple eateries to choose from, nice staff. "The details" they missed on were: room was clean but not spotless (dust on tables, shelving, etc.), room was run down in places (but not overall, just needed some refreshing here and there), priced on the high end, no room service to cabins. It's a wonderful place for families on the weekends during the winter or anytime during the summer. For a quiet, romantic getaway I would not recommend it during those times, rather go during the week during off season (fall, winter, spring) or possibly a winter weekend, but be prepared for a few kids to be around. The spa on site is fantastic! Don't miss it if it's your thing and you can afford it.

Room Tip: They have cabins on the beach which is wonderful, but they're very close together (much closer t...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank wackykathy
minneapolis
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Grand View Lodge is a wonderful place to stay! We rented a big cabin on the property for my whole family and it was a blast. The cabin was new and very nicely furnished with a wonderful view of the lake. The beach and pool were excellent, and the restaurants were very good. We especially liked the small Italian restaurant. Grand View was a great place to stay with something for everybody in the family to enjoy. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank shapiro22
Central Minnesota
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We stayed in a Golf Villa (565) March 16-18. We had a great time. It had a full kitchen, living room upstairs, bedroom and bath upstairs, living room downstairs as well as a pool table, tv, fridge, bedroom and bath. Each bedroom had 2 queen beds. My only complaint was the mattresses were old and uncomfortable, but everything else was great. It also had a deck with patio furniture and it was steps away from the fire ring.
I have never had a bad experience at Grand View. Breakfast buffet was also included and it was also very good.

Room Tip: I think they are all good.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank trvlnfun21
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 23 March 2012

This place lives up to it's reputation. Delightful service, delicious food, spotless and well appointed accomodations. Don't hesitate to go. Book now and don't use their online service. Call and you will get more options and a better deal.

We loved the Roy Cabins. Loved them. So quiet and just across the street (about 1 1/2 miles) from the main lodge. We loved the quietness of that part of the resort. The cabins are right on the edge of the water. We watched the ice melt, but I bet it's even better when the docks are in! We saw Eagles every day, one that ate a fish just out on the ice in front of our cabin. The fireplace was delightful, the kitchen probably the best stocked with tools in any rental we've ever been in, the bed and linens comfy, and the bathroom was incredible. I used the soaking tub every night! Our cabin had a set of bunk beds in the "den" which worked well for our family. This was the only cabin with the bunks.

Staff were all phenomenal. I don't say that lightly. Everyone we met smiled and was friendly and happy to help us. We had a slight issue that's not worth mentioning here as it was taken care of very well. Everyone we dealt with during this issue was friendly and accomodating.

Breakfast buffet each morning was varied and delicious. There was so much to choose from. Eggs, bacon, sausage, two kinds of potatoes, fresh fruit, yogurt parfaits, oatmeal, toast bar, juice bar, blueberry pancakes, caramel or cinnamon rolls, etc etc etc. Each morning there were new items, so it didn't get old. The coffee wasn't the best. I wish they would partner with Stone House in Nisswa for their delightful coffee. (Be sure to swing in there and have freshly roasted coffee and amazing scones. They even grind their own wheat for the scones. Unbelieveable.)

We ate at the pub the first night and had a delicious meal. My husband had the Walleye Cakes which were so good we had them again the last night we were there. My son had Walleye with Wild Rice and sweetcorn sauce served with green beans--it was outstanding. And I had the Chicken Portabella sandwich--amazing. All was fresh and served up quickly. We actually enjoyed the pub food more than we did Cru.

Cru is a beautiful new restaurant with both entrees and small plates. It was kind of hit or miss, but we would go back and try it again. I had an amazing three beet salad. My son's pecan crusted Walleye was a huge disappointment as it was very bland. We had anticipated something on a par with the huge, delicious fillet he had in the pub. The chef's take on tater tot hot dish was way too heavy on the bleu cheese, but the concept was fun. The crab cake paled in comparison to the pub's delicious Walleye cakes. My husband's steak was delicious, but very pricey. Fresh, homemade bread was a nice start and the wine selection was outstanding. I think a Wine Dinner here would be really incredible. My recommendation is to take the wait staff's suggestions--ours was cautious about the tater tot hot dish--I should have listened to her. I'm looking forward to the Lamb Sliders next time we visit. This restaurant had a very romantic atmosphere, but it was very family friendly. We were dressed up, but there were people in sweatshirts and jeans too. It's a nice option for the resort and I think, with time, will be outstanding.

Houskeeping was excellent the first morning, but then haphazard after that. They could use some work on consistency. One day a woman just asked if there was anything that we needed and I was so taken aback, I just asked for more towels. The next day a young person came in and "cleaned", but it wasn't nearly the service we got the first morning. This was a treat for our family and since I do all the housekeeping at home, was hoping for a little better service at the resort. Not something that would lower my star rating of this resort, but a suggestion for them to take a closer look at.

This resort is a place to just unwind. The staff happily takes care of you and you really don't need to leave the resort for anything. It's been a long time since my family has taken this type of vacation. We will return time and time again for this kind of experience. Thank you Grand View!

Room Tip: Roy lake for quieter accomodations, ask to be closer to the main lodge if you like to be in the acti...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Lilbet247
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nisswa
11.7 km away
14.8 km away
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Baxter
14.6 km away
Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge

Been to Grand View Lodge? Share your experiences!