“Bait and switch via CrowdCut” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Outing Lodge at Pine Point

Outing Lodge at Pine Point
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Bait and switch via CrowdCut”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

The ad specificaly specified Fridays and Saturdays available, Sundays and weekdays would not work for us.

The requirement is that you cannot reserve more than 4 months in advance but they are always "booked up" for 4 months and when they are not, they are "holding the rooms in case they get a wedding in" or it is a "special event weekend" with an upcharge regardless if you participate in the event they have going on.

They have been holding our money for months with no refund available and no chance of using it during nice weather.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank notneeded x
carlota1, Manager at Outing Lodge at Pine Point, responded to this review, 25 May 2012
We are so sorry that you have not been able to book a week-end night with your voucher. Our availability for week-end is fairly limited in the wedding and events season (May to October). This is the reason why the deals exclude "event nights, weddings, and holidays".
These conditions are stated upfront on the deals. Having only 5 rooms on the deals, however, we have been able to accommodate quite a few week-end bookings. As long as there is flexibility on the date request. We do our best to book all rooms for week-ends. The few openings that we have normally are due to changes on plans.
We have a waiting list for week-ends, in case of cancellations. Not few times have we been able to accommodate the waiting list names for a week-end. Of course, it works as any waiting list: it does not warranty that you will be able to book until a room becomes available. The process of booking will take more time than if you book a room that is available at the time you call (there are many available rooms on week-nights).
We sincerely apologize for the difficulties finding an open room for the specific date you planned your getaway and we wish we could offer you more open dates. As you say, we have already almost all week-ends booked for the next 4 months, and if anything opens we call the waiting list first and complete a booking.

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

I bought a Google Offer (CrowdCut) to stay for one night. I worked really hard to find a date that worked for my wife and I, luckily we were able to stay as part of our Anniversary celebration this past weekend. My wife and I arrived in Stillwater around lunch time had lunch and did some shopping, and I noticed we were going to be after the 3-5 checkin window. So I called ahead to make them aware and the front desk staff were more than accommodating by leaving our signin and key waiting for us.
Driving up the long wooded driveway makes you feel like you're truly stepping back in time. Choco (Chocolate Lab) greeted us in the front flower bed and the restoration of the gathering room downstairs, the room we stayed in (Robert Frost), and the library were stunning. We stayed on a Thursday night and there weren't too many other guests there. However, my wife and I were playing some games (Outling Lodge provided) in the Main Hall when the owner of the Lodge and his family came through and sat down and chatted with us. It was a very warm, friendly environment. One of the other patrons was also down there with us having a fantastic time. We stayed up entirely too late, after the owner and family had gone to bed they let us hoop and hollar it up down in the bar in the basement. The building and surroundings are fantastic.
In our room we saw that Choco (Lab) enjoys walks so my wife and I took Choco on a really long walk and it was a blast, TONS of trails (paved, dirt, etc) around the grounds.
I upgraded our stay to have breakfast in bed, and they delivered it at 9:30, perfect timing for us to relax, eat, enjoy it and then pack to leave.
We will be going back out there again to renew our vows at there facility. I highly recommend The Outing Lodge to anyone who loves old world charm and excellent customer service.

Room Tip: Go with the Robert Frost room, on the front corner of the house, many windows, amazing beds (not to...
Northfield, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

My husband and I were so happy we came here! We used the Crowd Cut voucher our daughter had given us as a gift. The place has an old world European charm to it. Cathy at the front desk was so cheerful and welcoming. We had chosen the Eva Peron suite and were impressed by the spaciousness, yet coziness of the rooms. That the place is furnished with many "recycled" items should make one appreciative; they are well-chosen and well-placed. The weather was gorgeous and we took advantage of walking around the grounds. Cathy gave us an excellent recommendation for dinner at Luna Rossa. We found the fireplace and jacuzzi in good working order. The bed linens and pillows made for a most comfortable night's sleep. The homemade breakfast in the morning was a highlight ;) so delicious! Carlota is a delightful cook and conversationalist! We hope to return again soon!

Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

This was my first time at a B&B and it was beautiful. I loved the "family" feel you got by driving up and seeing Choco (the dog) sun bathing in the parking lot, people working outside on yard work etc. We had purchased a crowd cut for this one night stay and was semi-satisfied with the room itself. I believe the Outing Lodge is remodeling all their rooms which is maybe why there were coupons at this time to lure people in still. I have no doubt that once it is done it will be spectacular. I Champagne and truffles were a nice touch as well as the jucuzzi (once we figured out how to use it). Overall, I would go back. They have lots and lots of fun activities to offer all year round. I wished we would have been able to stay for more days.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

This setting reminded me much of the farm I grew up on, not too far from this location. It has a peaceful feel to it, surrounded by large, stately trees and beautiful gardens. The large park being in the backyard adds more space to find quiet solitude and commune with the outdoors. I do agree with previous reviews that the place does need to have a large clean up of the 'back forty'. I loved the history of the place and the historical themes of each room. If you are an early riser, make sure you ask how to get some coffee! The breakfast spread was delectable, with croissants and homemade apple tarts and plenty of fruit. It was difficult to find a date to use my Crowd Cut coupon and we ended up going during the week.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Robert Frost room and loved it. No jacuzzi in this room.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
carlota1, Owner at Outing Lodge at Pine Point, responded to this review, 6 May 2012
Thank you so much for your review: we sincerely appreciate your posting!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

We had a fabulous suite with a sun room off of the bedroom. The place is beautiful and the people are very friendly and accommodating. Oh, and don't forget Choco the Chocolate Lab house dog. The lodge is situated right on the Pine Point Park trails. We had a wonderful afternoon of hiking and exploring the woods. Then another urban afternoon in Stillwater which is right down the road. Don't miss this great place for an escape.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
carlota1, Manager at Outing Lodge at Pine Point, responded to this review, 6 May 2012
Thank you for your kind appreciation of the Lodge and our staff!
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

I LOVE the idea of this venue. There were many positives, but overall the things that were negative greatly overshadowed those that were positive. The rustic feel of Outing Lodge is what really draws people to see you. It is charming. The grounds are fantastic as well as the gardens. What isn't fantastic...The back lawn/yard/dump area. It appears there are so many unfinished projects on site, that it becomes distracting from the overall ambiance. There are piles of wood/rubbish near the woods in the back yard that need to be burned or cleared, looks like something was demolished and dumped there and left to rot....what an eye sore! When you look out during day light hours while you're serving a fantastic meal...yuck! A bike sat in the bushes near the parking lot for the ENTIRE weekend I stayed...it just doesn't make sense. I read many reviews before coming to Outing Lodge and just thought I'd see for myself. I found myself wanting to dust the library, and organize clutter in halls and on tables. Seems like this place could be a GEM if the owners or management took a little more pride in their place and the presentation. I must add....the food was AMAZING, the breakfast selection could have been better (i.e. bacon or sausage instead of sliced deli meat?) The house that is currently being built in front of the lodge must be the main priority, but when people spend a good deal of money and expect certain things from an establishment like Outing Lodge, I found myself disappointed with what could have been.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family

20.3 km away
Holiday Inn Express Hudson-I-94
19.7 km away
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Paul NE - Lake Elmo

Been to Outing Lodge at Pine Point? Share your experiences!