“Not a bad hotel if you are on a budget and traveling with children”

Ramada Plymouth Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Plymouth
Sparta, New Jersey
“Not a bad hotel if you are on a budget and traveling with children”
Reviewed 10 November 2011

I just returned from a four night stay. The reviews were mixed but I decided to stay anyway. I was visiting my grandchildren who lived 1 mile away from the hotel which was very convenient and helped in my decision to lodge here. I am a travel agent and did not pay any reduced rate, I payed what everyone else paid. $74.00 for two weekend nights and $84.00 for two weekday nights. This is an average hotel that meets your needs. Rooms were not small as some said. Once you have stayed in european hotels, any american hotel is not small. I had two double beds, microwave and small fridge. Bathroom was adequate, not large. Had a hairdryer and the shower was great. The hotel is an older hotel but the rooms were clean and they did offer breakfast which was complimentary. The breakfast consisted of a waffle maker, juices, bagels, donuts, cereals, yogurts, fresh apples and oranges, coffee and tea. On Sat. and Sunday they served eggs and sausage and biscuits and gravy. If you wanted more than that, there is a restaurant attached to the hotel. The hallway could have been better lit but it was not dark. There was one elevator which could have been remodeled.The pool was great for my grandchildren, ages 3, 6 and 8. You can see the photos of the pool on the hotel website. They had a great time and loved the hot tub. There were plenty of towels at the pool and there was a shower and restroom right in the same area of the pool. The hotel sits right off of 494 on route 55. You can see the hotel and it is a bit tricky to get there but my gps took us right there. There is a Red Roof Inn right across the parking lot which is cheaper but there is no pool.They were removing the older type televisions and putting in flat screen t.v.'s the day we were leaving. There were plenty of cable channels but no movies. I come to Minnesota 3 - 5 times a year. Would I stay here again? Yes and I am a fussy person when it comes to cleanliness and condition of a hotel.

Room Tip: I called the hotel directly.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Valerie1948

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
St. Paul
Reviewed 5 October 2011

I stayed in a few hotels in this area in August. This was not the worst, but not the best either. The rooms were pretty good and the staff was better than most, but overall my stay was pretty average. I didn't encounter any issues which was a plus after my stay at a different hotel down the road a mile or two. I was somewhat annoyed by all of the noise in the pool area...it was a weekday but still full of kids at 9pm. Also, this hotel is tricky to get to at night...you can see it from the major roads, but need to take roundabout side roads to actually get to it. Not their fault, but a bit annoying.

Room Tip: Ask for non-poolside if noise bothers you!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Webster, NY
Reviewed 18 September 2011

We stayed two nights and were very pleased with the accommodations. Clean, spacious rooms, pleasant staff, beautiful indoor pool for family fun. This pool area really was perfect for kids and adults alike. Although it was near the highway, we had no noise issues at all. We would definitely stay here again if we are ever in the Minneapolis area.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Booked at a special rate on Expedia and wasn't too sure when the room was on the highway side of the hotel. But noise wasn't a problem and the room was clean and fairly recently remodeled. The bathroom, as with older hotels, was small. Had a great salad from the restaurant and the breakfast selection was good enough. Had a microwave and refrigerator in the room. I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank weaver56
Champlin, Minnesota
Reviewed 14 August 2011

The previous reviews really bury the fact that this hotel has a super cool INDOOR pool area so I promised myself that I would mention it FIRST so parents looking for a family friendly hotel would know that this is the place! It's almost a destination by itself and I got the impression lots of the people there were locals who were taking a break from the heat. One family was having a birthday party in the pool area. *Make sure and read to the end for some tips to help manage your expectations...

We looked for hotels in the area for about an hour and were unable to find anything in our budget until we found this hotel. I think we paid $80 or so a night. The staff was great over the phone. We were traveling with 4 kids and needed a certain sized room with a roll away bed and they really were great about meeting our needs while keeping the cost low. We ended up booking a pool side room with two double beds and we stayed two nights.

The pool side room is ground level with a sliding glass door that opens up to the pool! You have a little porch with some chairs and a direct path right to the water. There are two pools: one for the smaller kids and a deeper one with two water slides. There is also a jacuzzi area with a poolside shower and bathroom and lots of clean fresh towels. The kids had a blast! I brought a 3 in one shampoo and body wash for the kids, showered them down in their suits after swimming in the pool shower and never had to mess up our bathroom. You leave your suits on your porch to dry and it's a great operation. We were there during an epic heat wave and it was nice to not have to put sunscreen on the kids and be able to swim in such a great place without the cost of a waterpark.

We asked for a fridge since we had a ton of cheese from Wisconsin and the staff found us another room to move to with a microwave and fridge that was still poolside and the same price. They were very friendly and really seemed to want to make sure you enjoyed your stay and were comfortable.

Now for the inside scoop. Pay attention because this might make or break your stay. The pool is closed from 11:00pm-9:00am. Outside of those hours it will be LOUD. Despite the very thick walls and sliding glass doors you will hear the shreiking and splashing of what sounds like a thousand small children in the acoustic surround sound that only an indoor pool right outside of your room can create. I brought earpulgs and it was not enough. If you do not require sleep outside of the hours of 11:00pm-9:00am, you'll be fine. If you do, ask for a room away from the pool.

This is a kid friendly, family hotel. If you don't like kids in the room next to you or running down the halls in their bathing suits, this is not the hotel for you. We have kids, don't mind kids and feel more comfortable where there are other families with kids so it was a great place for us. If you're on a business trip and are planning on being in bed by 9:00pm, make sure the staff knows this. They are great and I imagine they have quiet corners tucked away in the hotel where they put people who are not there for the pool.

Accross the street (driving) there is a sub shop and Starbucks. You can drive the 5 minutes to Maple Grove for better eats like Bucca Di Peppo and CPK. You won't find many good sit down places in Plymouth.

My only complaint is the chlorine level in the pool. It is pretty high. My eyes were burning just entering the pool area and when sitting in the jacuzzi it's almost unbearable. I was literally blinded. My son actually decided not to take a last swim the day we checked out because his eyes were hurting so much from swimming in the pool. I've never actually been in a pool that had that much chlorine, anywhere. It was so bad I almost docked a star but I decided I couldn't live with myself if somebody skipped this hotel for one with a higher star rating so I kept it 5 stars. I hope they fix the chlorine problem! My husband said "Better to have too much than not enough." But I felt like it took away some of the fun ): Overall great stay and would totally stay again while in the area!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Got_too_many_dogs
Sweden
Reviewed 12 August 2011

Stayed at the hotel in July, family of four with two small children. We got a room with direct access to the pool, which you really could notice by the smell when opening the door to the room. Room very dark as one floor and one table lamp wasn't working. Asked the hotel staff for new light bulbs, but got the reply that there were none - you might think that light bulbs were ready available in a large hotel, but who knows. Room on the smaller size but clean enough. Pool fun for kids, but agree that it was dated. Breakfast ok, even though the basement room without windows didn't do much to waken you up. Decided to have breakfast in our room and asked for a tray - but, as with light bulbs, the staff informed me that there were none. However, at the rate for our room the final rating is three, but only by a slim margin. If you have small kids its ok, but otherwise you could probably do much better.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not directly in connection to pool
Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Tomtom008
Minnesota
Reviewed 14 June 2011

My husband and I took advantage of the Stay & Play plan this past weekend and cannot fault a single thing about our stay. The front desk checked us in courteously and efficiently and gave us lots of helpful information. Our room was located in a quiet part of the hotel, but not far from one of the access doors. We never heard a sound from the adjacent exercise room or any other guests during our stay. Our room was clean and housekeeping was thorough. Breakfast was the standard hotel/continental menu, but it was all fresh and tasty, and the young woman who maintained it was the most efficient and hard-working person we've ever seen, cleaning and stocking constantly so the room was always tidy and messes were promptly cleaned up.

Can't wait for the next play, so we can stay there again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank breadiva
jnygaard, Manager at Ramada Plymouth Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 21 June 2011
Thank you for your comment regarding your recent stay at the Best Western Plus Kelly Inn. We are happy you found your stay comfortable, our facility clean, and our service courteous. We recently moved our breakfast to a new more spacious room and added several hot breakfast items to the menu. We look forward to seeing you in the future. The Plymouth Playhouse, our on-site theater, is scheduled to open a new production this August.

John Nygaard
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plymouth
0.9 km away
9.6 km away
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Maple Grove - Arbor Lakes
0.2 km away
Red Roof Inn Minneapolis Plymouth

Been to Ramada Plymouth Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!