“The Tap House......ranked way too low for Rochester !!”
Review of The Tap House

The Tap House
Ranked #29 of 322 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Standard Disclaimer: I am an older, overweight male who likes to eat. When given the option between quantity and quality, I take quantity every time. If you happen to be Vegan, vegetarian, or an anti-glutite, feel free to stop reading this review now. Nothing personal, but I don't write for your dietary preferences, as I like eating what you all don't. I never mention that I submit reviews to Trip Advisor when out, as I want to be treated like everyone else in a restaurant. My reviews are subjective in nature and based on the quantity and quality of food, ambiance of the place, and service. My reviews are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect that of Trip Advisor or its subsidiaries.

On with the review. My wife and I are back in Rochester, Minnesota for the third time in three weeks, as I am here on medical business. We are staying in the Hilton Garden Inn again on South Broadway and the end of the hotel we are in is near 3rd Street. Just to the south of the Hilton property is the Tap House. It is an older lookng building that was repurposed and the only problem I had was trying to figure if this was a bar serving food, or a restaurant serving drinks. I guess after experiencing the Tap House, it's BOTH !!

We arrived a bit after 6:30pm on Thurs. Oct. 11, 2018, and sat ourselves. There was a substantial bar area and an adjoining dining area behind the bar to the west. There was also an upstairs area. Much to our surprise, the place was relatively full when we arrived. Thomas was our server and it seemed like he had every table on our side of the restaurant. He was knowledgeable on the menu and drinks and my wife ordered the Shrimp salad and a Tap House Margarita, made with cranberry juice. I ordered a taco salad with no tomatoes. My wife and I also split an order of egg rolls.

We were served 4 pieces of egg roll, with each being about 2 bites of food. They were pretty good. Very hot. My taco salad was with shredded chicken and served in an edible tortilla bowl. It had chicken, rice, lettuce, cabbage, salsa, and shredded cheese. The tortilla bowl was full to the brim with ingredients. I had the option to select either chicken, steak, or pork for the salad. What I wish had been a choice was ground beef, which could be a better option than steak. Alas, ground beef wasn't on the menu. My salad was very good, though. My wife remarked about all ther shrimp in her salad, like around 30 of them (they seemed to be 26-30 per pound size shrimp). Thomas did his work and all that in his area of tables with quiet efficiency.

The total bill for 1 appetizer, 1 house margarita, and the 2 salads was $44.50 excluding tip, which wasn't bad for what we got in return. My only issue was the music being played in the background over the speakers in the restaurant. It was '80's music with groups like Joan Jett, Blondie, etc. I couldn't tell if the music had been pre-recorded or was satellite radio, but whatever it was, it was being played a bit too loud. But, all things considered, I didn't come to the Tap House to be entertained. I went there to eat. You should too !!

Reviewed September 25, 2018

A surprisingly large menu, our fish tacos were tasty and the service was good. Convenient location downtown near hotels and the Mayo Clinic.

Reviewed September 17, 2018

I called one day ahead for a large group (50) and they had their Blue Room available for us. The space worked out great, we had parents and youth from a mountain bike team and everyone was able to sit and enjoy the evening. We only had one waitress so she was busy and at time that meant service was a bit slow but overall she did a great job. Once our orders were placed the food arrived quickly. Food was good - cheese curds were awesome! I thought for less than 24 hours notice and a large group that there was not much we could complain about.

Reviewed August 27, 2018 via mobile

Beautiful late summer eve spent outside on the taphouse rooftop with family and friends, enjoying their food, drink and time together. Casual and enjoyable, it was a perfect setting.
I had the chicken burrito, which had a delicious and unique salsa, and was creatively spicy. We also had the shrimp tacos, and another had one of their burgers. We had a fried cheese curds appetizer, and they were a hit with our group.
I liked the food and it was filling and tasty.

Reviewed August 27, 2018

a small craft brewery, a little bit of charm, noisy and full of laughter, had selection of beer that was recommended, and there food was good but slow service