“It's not the Ritz, but it will do ya in a pinch”

Motel 6 Minneapolis North
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Roseville
WIsconsin
“It's not the Ritz, but it will do ya in a pinch”
Reviewed 8 September 2010

I honesty don't understand the other reviews of this place. I booked it before looking here, and then I got scared. One reviewer was honest, and that was my only hope. We arrived, and had to wait for our room to be ready, as it was full the night before, and the State Fair was going on. The desk clerk was so nice! Very polite, as was the other staff we encountered later on. We went to the nearby Roseville Shopping mall and spent some time there, ate at the local Chili's restaurant, (which, if you are not familar with city water, do not get your drinks with ice there, yuk! it tastes like a swimming pool). We finally got our key cards, and got our room. It was small, two beds, tv. Everything was clean, carpets, windows, bathroom. One problem was the sink was clogged. I loved the shower, would have liked a bathtub. No refrigerator was the only downside to the stay. Oh, and not being able to find the ice machine anywhere. We went to the fair the next day, taking a free bus that was only five blocks or so away. If you want better accomodations, go elsewhere. But if you have limited funds, or are not a fussy person, this will suffice. I wanted to use the pool, but Mother Nature decided summer ended the day before we got there. Too cold outside. Pool looked pretty clean, so it was a shame about the temperature. I would recommend however, to park your vehicle so you can see it out your window. Just as a precaution, I do this wherever I go.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Avoca, Iowa
Reviewed 20 May 2010

This was a nightmare. There was a peephole cut out of our curtains and a rip from one end to the other. The room was the size of a jail-cell. There was a necklace under the top sheet of one of the beds when we got there. How can you make a bed and get a necklace under the top sheet? We were there 4 days and never recieved room service or clean towels. Trying to get clean towels was an ordeal. The maid tried to give us towels out of the dirty laundry basket.
The worse part of all of it was the mentallity of the management there. If we complained, we were told that they really didnt give a [--]. WOW!!! They were very rude and didnt care about making us happy at all. A packet of shampoo costed over two dollars. The green scum on the pool stunk. There was trash on the ground everywhere. The workers suddenly spoke no English when we tried to ask questions. I will gladly pay double to get decent accomodations next time. I had better accommodations at the Iowa State Prison for Women. Im not joking! And they told everyone that called there for us that we werent staying there.

• Stayed May 2010
2 Thank bowsbigsis
Bellevue, NE
Reviewed 8 September 2009

What can I say? I was so dissapointed and disgusted. My husband and I stayed at this paticular Motel 6 a couple of years ago and although we found it a bit shabby, it was clean and quiet. So I booked us here again as we came to go to the State Fair. What a mistake. First of all, I booked us over a month in advance for a handicapped room, smoking with 2 beds. I was told that would be no problem. We got there at almost midnight and found they had put us on 3rd floor!! I stated I had reserved a handicapped room. The night clerk found a handicapped room but so far from the parking area, I was wondering how it could even be considered handicapped. That room also only had a double bed and no smoking!! I don't know if the clerk even cared about what I said!!! I went back and told the clerk that the room still wouldn't do as it was no smoking, 1 bed room. He again said all he had was 3rd floor but he could get us near the elevator. As it was almost 1 in the morning, we took it. When we went in, I was overwhelmed with the smell of urine and first thing I saw was a big stain in the middle of the room. I went to turn on the news and found the TV didn't work and then tried the phone and it was dead. My husband and I decided to find a different hotel as we weren't going to even try to move to another room. It took almost an hour to find another hotel (fair weekend and everything was either sky high in price or booked) We finally found a Hampton Inn that had a great deal going. We took it and I went down to tell the clerk we were unhappy with the room and decided to leave. I asked for our money back. He got quite upset and stated we had been in the room for an hour and he couldn't give us our money back until he talked to the manager the next morning. I told him the room was unacceptable (the smells, TV and phone were not working) and there was no way we could stay and that we had not stayed in the room but called from our car. The only reason I didn't come to tell him sooner was that I was trying to find alternative hotel. I also reminded him that he told us no other rooms were available and they were the ones who screwed up the registration and as we were unhappy and Motel 6 has a satisfaction guarantee, I wanted them to fulfill the guarantee. He said he already dropped our cash in the safe and couldn't get to it till the morning. I stated that we would be back and get our refund and that we expected the full refund. We did end up at Hampton Inn. It was like night and day- comfortable beds, clean room and wonderful staff who went out of their way to get us in a room when they heard our horror story. Sherry was great!! Kudos to Hampton Inn in Shoreview. In the end, we did get an half hearted apology from the manager (I think I got that because I called the head corporate office of Motel 6 to complain) and a full refund. I was reminded that I should have known about the handicapped rooms and the fact they have only 1 small bed due to regulations. Remember that if you dare go the Motel 6. They tell you one thing and deliver a lot less. The Roseville Police make regular rounds at that Motel 6 so it makes one wonder if it is worth staying there. I don't think so. I learned never be lured by a great price. You get much less than what you are paying for.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Linda K
michigan
Reviewed 6 September 2009

the pictures of this place make it look cheap but decent to stay at.... how deceiving those are!!! we showed up at this place and immediately knew this was a BAD idea! Everything was rusted, cracked, paint chipping, and completely old looking.... that was just the outside. We went inside the room and,... wow! I didnt want to set my son down on ANY surface in that place! The floor looked as if it had NEVER been cleaned, the pillows were tinted yellow, the top blanket had holes on the underside, and the sheets were filthy! The door wouldn't even close! My husband, son and I demanded a refund and went half a mile down the street to the Raddison Hotel and paid $30 dollars more! Now we can actually sleep tonight without worrying about our car being broken into or what disease we will get from the bed! YUCK! YUCK! YUCK!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank olyana87
Wisconsin
Reviewed 22 July 2009

#1. The door to our room had a 1/4" to 1/2" gap. Wouldn't want to stay in a snow storm you'd wake up in a snow drift in bed with you. Or the little critters of the night coming in under the door.

#2. Floor didn't look like it had been vac in years.

#3. Why can't all rooms have refrigerators?

#4. Only one location to get ice (cause don't have a frig).

#5. 2 cops visits with in 15 minutes of each other. (And not the same cop)

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank whitetiger462
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 7 August 2008

I have been visiting Minneapolis several times a year since 2005, and have stayed at the Motel 6 Roseville almost 10 times. I'm a 26 year old woman and generally travel from Omaha to Minneapolis alone to visit friends.

This is obviously not a luxury hotel and it definitely has its issues, but I keep coming back because despite all that, it's actually a nice little motel.

Let's start with the bad:

1.) The front desk staff is in a permanently bad mood. I've checked in at all different times of day, on different days of the week, in Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer, and I've never met a cheery check-in person at this property.

2.) There seem to be a few people who stay at this hotel for weeks at a time, and the staff doesn't appear to be very happy about that and acts very unprofessional toward them. Perhaps the guests have done something to deserve this treatment, I have no idea.

3.) There are no clocks of any kind in the rooms! I always bring an old one from home instead of relying solely on my cell phone for a clock/alarm. They also provide no shampoo or lotion. However, there are disposable cups, soap, free HBO.

4.) Invariably the hotel will be visited by police at least once during my stay. Though I'm a young woman traveling alone, I've never myself run into people who seem unsafe at this property. There are absolutely some colorful characters, but I've never felt threatened by them. I do wonder what *exactly* is going on behind some of those doors. I mean, I have a few ideas... ;)

5.) The motel was VERY hard to find the first time I visited. Both my GPS and Mapquest put me on the wrong side of the highway. This hotel is NOT on Cleveland Ave. It's off the Highway 36 Fairview Ave. exit on Frontage Road next to a car dealership. Maybe Mercedes or BMW...can't remember. You can see the Motel 6 sign from the highway.

6.) No continental breakfast, just burnt coffee at the front desk.

Now, onto the good:

1.) The price is absolutely unbeatable in the Twin Cities area and surrounding towns. Believe me...I've done my research. It's even cheaper than other Motel 6 properties in the area.

2.) My room has always been spotless and clean. There are lots of housekeepers and they're all very friendly...much moreso than the front desk staff!

3.) The showers are weird round pods, but the shower head and water pressure are lovely. I love taking showers here.

4.) The small outdoor pool is well-maintained and it's always empty! Chances are, if you want to swim, you'll have the whole thing to yourself.

5.) The hotel is in a great location if you have places to be both in St. Paul and Minneapolis. Roseville is a suburb right in between the two.

6.) I generally request a room with a micro/fridge and bring soups and etc. from home, but there is superb cuisine, both local and chain, within walking distance. My favorite is Earth House where they serve local and organic food, tons of vegetarian options, fresh bread and hummus on every table, etc. Yum! Besides all the restaurants, there's also 3 coffee houses all less than 2 minutes away. And if you like to shop, the massive Rosedale Mall is just down the street, there's a non-grungy liquor store, a "Love from Minneapolis" souvenir shop, a grocery store, Walgreens, fast food, and just about everything else.

Like I said, this is NOT in any way a luxury hotel. What it is, however, is a well-maintained budget motel with a good location, clean rooms, and colorful clientele. If you're broke and feeling adventurous, Motel 6 in Roseville is for you. :)

• Liked — Unbeatable price, very clean rooms, good location
  • Disliked — Unfriendly front desk staff, lack of amenities
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled solo