“great time for kids” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Saint Cloud
Redwood Falls, Minnesota
“great time for kids”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

This was the 4th out of the last five years my in-laws and our family have stayed at this hotel over the President's Day weekend. The main reason we stay at the hotel is because of the excellent family atmosphere. There were around 5 pools including a little kids pool, a hot tub and other "older kid" pools. The arcade games and recreation field-house were also a big hit. The only thing that concerns me is that over the last 4-5 years I've seen very few renovations done. We stayed in a family suite and there was a little spot of mold next to wear the drywall and tile for the shower meet. There was a light bulb burned out above the kitchen island, and the living room coffee table had two wobbly legs on it. The legs on the table were so bad that I actually moved it into another room in fear that one of my four kids would accidentally break it. All of the before-mentioned issues were reported to the front desk at the time of checkout and I honestly have faith that all will be fixed. My only fear is that all of these issues are signs of things to come for the hotel. The hotel itself has always had a good reputation in my mind, but hopefully some bigger renovations come soon to keep it up-to-date (i.e. newer carpet, furniture replacement, updated light fixtures, and just some simple coats of fresh paint. .

Room Tip: As always call ahead and reserve your rooms well in advance. We originally were booked for a 2nd fl...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
bethadamek, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Cloud, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
We are so happy you and your extended family have been enjoying our hotel fo so many years and hope you will choose to return in the future!

We are continuously rennovating our hotel and making improvements for our guests. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to further dicuss your recent stay at our hotel. Your concerns are important to us.

Holiday Inn & Suites
St Cloud, MN
320.253.9000

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

I have been to the Holiday Inn in Saint Cloud a number of times, but it has been well over a year since my last visit. Holiday Inn's all over the country have been making a ton of upgrades and are looking more like 4 star hotels. This trend has clearly not caught up with the Holiday Inn in Saint Cloud.

Everything looks old and drab as it has for the last who knows how long. I was upgraded to a suite, HOWEVER, I could have done without the upgrade because I the room was simply not worth it. I always check the bed for bedbugs - and was happy I didn't find any of those - BUT - I did find a couple of looong hairs and I don't know...that kinda grosses me out too. It was on one of the beds so I just slept in the other (exactly! I didn't need two bed suite! Just give me a King bed with a little space and that would more than a sufficient upgrade!)

So...I'm still on the fence about the room/hotel...until I decided my lower back hurt enough to warrant a trip down to the whirlpool. HUGE mistake! I should have known from the un-mopped floor around the pool (could see what looked like coffee/pop spills just sitting there) that the whirlpool would not be a good idea. But I decided that maybe they just hadn't got down there yet. I turned it on, and almost immediately, a huge white foam began to form (an indication of a collection dirt and oil) - but it stayed pretty much in one corner so I decided I could enjoy my area foam/dirt free. NOPE! The darn thing was LUKEWARM! I sat for about 5 minutes thinking it would get hotter, but it didn't and I just left pretty letdown.

Slept well and awoke, left my usual tip for the cleaning crew with a note about the whirlpool. Upon my return, the room was only HALF-clean. Fork still on the counter, trash still on the counter, ironing board still out with the iron on it, papers and newspaper still on the table...It's like they came in, changed my towels, cleaned the toilet, made the beds and left. This is what upset me even more! I expect my room to be cleaned...THOROUGHLY!

There really seemed like there only a few people staying there, a couple of families...almost eerie how empty the place was.

I will say, the staff that I had any interaction with, were all pretty pleasant. They were nice and responsive but that was mainly during check-in and my wake-up call. I was too busy to make a separate trip to the manager to complain about the whirlpool or lack of room cleaning - but will indicate once they send the follow-up quality survey.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I was very sorry to read about the cleanliness issues with your stay. Those are not the standards we hold our hotel to and would appreciate an opportunity to speak with you further regarding your concerns.

Holiday Inn & Suites
St Cloud, MN
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

Stayed here for one Saturday night Janurary 2012. Stayed in room 808, a 2 room suite. This hotel is very large, and rooms are very spread out, this room was in a fairly quiet area, by volleyball and basketball courts. Bedroom had door that closed off from living room, and had 2 beds, flat screen tv, dresser, night stands, and a sink that came with toothbrush and toothpaste as well as standard holiday inn brand toiletries. Bathroom was standard, shower only, no tub. Kitchenette had coffee maker, full size fridge/freezer, microwave, dishes, seating area with 2 chairs. Living area has couch that folds out to bed, another flat screen tv, desk, lounge chair. Was very spacious, and very quiet in bedroom when door to living area and bathroom is closed. Also outside of room is a couple of chairs and small table.
A large amount of rooms are poolside with table and chairs just outside of room ,and you need to walk by them to get from place to place and many groups of adults have them filled with food and alcoholic drinks, and sit and play games and socialize, while children swim and play. The majority of children then run all over hotel without supervision, while adults drink, and become very loud.
The big issue I have is the dogs. The info in room states that dogs are not allowed at these poolside tables, but when walking around pool areas saw at least 6 different dogs by table areas, that get up and sniff, and lick you as you walk by. Don't expect this at a hotel. Also saw plenty of staff just walk right by, and most of these were big dogs, could not be missed. It would be nice of dogs were contained to rooms except for trips to and from outside, but this is not the case.
The resturant is average, nothing really special, and did not go to bar, but they had live entertainment.
2 large pools, 2 hot tubs, and one kiddie pool, and sauna. Be careful of walking barefoot as multiple times were saw guests with glass beer bottles in hot tub, and pool area, did see any broken, but just a warning. Not used to glass being allowed by pool/hot tub area, but again saw staff walk right by and ignore while picking up towels etc. Also have aracde games, ping pong, and arts and cratfs for kids, play area with slide for little ones, and exercise room, and walking maps- you can get a good workout walking around hotel as it is large.
When going down elevator in am another guest asked how we liked the entertainment last night, and we said what entertainment, she said there were some intoxicated guests arguing, and the police were called at least 2 times. She said this all started at about 2am, thankfully slept through it.
One the plus side in the am all of the messes, food, empty bottles, and garbage were all cleaned up, and the place looked very clean.
Would not stay here again due to dogs, and large amout of loud intoxicated adults, and unsupervised children.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
bethadamek, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Cloud, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
We apologize you didn't enjoy every part of your stay at the Holiday Inn & Suites in St. Cloud, MN. I invite you to call the hotel directly so we could further discuss your stay at your convenience.

Sincerely

Travellers are raving about these Saint Cloud hotels

UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

Hi this is a great hotel for families with children. Lots for the kids to do ....amusement arcades...large jacuzzis......late night bar....restaurant.

Rooms were ok ...but the hotel is not for you if you want peace and quiet

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Montana City, Montana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

We got a suite for 2 nights over the new years eve weekend. It was so much fun. There is so much to do here, between volleyball, basketball, pools, arcade, and whatnot. It was nice to be able to walk over to Legands (the bar inside the hotel) for a couple of drinks and watch the ball drop at midnight. They had free chocolate covered strawberries and other snacks, free champagne toast, and a balloon drop with money. It was a good time.

The only negative thing I can say about this place - was that the hot tubs sucked. The first night it was fine. But the morning it was awful. You couldn't barely sit in it for a couple of minutes and your eyes would start to burn. So we went to the other hot tub. Which was more of a kids pool as there was kids EVERYWHERE - which was fine but there was practically no water left in it. When you would sit in it half of your chest was exposed.... We tried to go back to the larger hot tub several more times after and it only got worse... Plan on going back again next year, but i really hope the hot tub is in better condition!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Apple Valley, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

I found that this Holiday Inn is an excellent place to stay. The people are friendly, helpful and courteous. Expecially an employee named Mac who found keys that I lost and would not accept a gift of money.

My room was clean, the pillows soft, and the bed very comfortable. The room was clean, and fresh when I arrived after a long day of travel. I reqyested extra pillows and they were on my bed when I arrived.

The location is great - close to shopping, restaurants and highways. I look forward to staying here again. I know that you will too.

Julie M.

Room Tip: I always choose non smoking,. There were no odors from other rooms near by that had smokers.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

Stayed one night - visiting SCSU which is just a few minute drive and easy to get to.

Front desk staff was pleasant. Room was clean, beds were very comfortable - complete with "soft" and "firm" pillows (duly marked!). Pools were nice - kids enjoyed them. Lots of arcade games, ping pong, and the like to keep the kids entertained.

Overall we had a nice stay and would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
StCloudHI, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Cloud, responded to this review, 5 November 2011
I'm glad that your stay here was fun - especially all of our activities for kids. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to St. Cloud.

Corey McIntire