“Well made sandwich”

Salut Bar Americain
Reserve with OpenTable
Salut Bar Americain is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #46 of 989 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Price range: US$15 - US$60
Cuisines: American, French
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Milton Avenue
Transit: Easy access via the main bus line off of Grand Avenue.
Description: Salut Bar Americain is a neighborhood brasserie that offers classic bistro favorites like French Onion Soup, Salade Nicoise, and Steak Frites, as well as fresh seafood, burgers, sandwiches, and an array of daily specials. Whether you feel like Champagne and oysters or a burgers and fries, Salut can complement your selection from our full bar and well-selected wine list. Salut's private dining spaces are cozy, intimate and welcoming. Perfect spaces for private events that require a unique setting. When privacy is called for and you're hosting a business affair or a groom's dinner, Salut offers unique dining options featuring chef prepared menus.
Reviewed September 2, 2018

I had the fork and knife chicken sandwich with a side salad and it was very good. It came out piping hot with a fresh bun and everything melted together nicely. The restaurant was fairly busy for the time of day (4pm on a Saturday). I asked for an iced tea with a little splash of lemonade - specifically not an Arnold Palmer (much less lemonade). It had more lemonade than tea. Also asked for no avocado and the sandwich had it - not the end of the world but think they could use more attention to detail.

The menu offered family style dishes which was cool and indicated how many could share appetizers which was helpful.

Reviewed August 30, 2018

I’ve always enjoyed Salut until today when I had poor food. The chicken crepe contained dark meat that tasted as if it had been cooked previously and then reheated for this dish. The crepe was thick and soggy and the lemon sauce was tasteless. The outdoor dining area is splendid and I will try once more given that this was their first bad menu item.

Reviewed August 23, 2018 via mobile

Road trip! While in The Twin Cities area, we had lunch with friends at Salut. The service was excellent and the food was very good. The French Onion soup was outstanding. The walleye meunière was also excellent except that the haricot verts were slightly tough. All in all, a great atmosphere and a nice place to meet friends for lunch. The noise level was very low so we could have nice conversation.

Reviewed August 9, 2018

I feel so bad leaving a negative review because we have been here before and enjoyed it, but needs mentioning...

My son and I came here a couple days ago and ordered the large cold seafood platter appetizer that had shrimp, muscles, lobster, crab and oysters. for around $60.
I had ordered this a few years ago and enjoyed it but unfortunately this time was pretty awful. The entire reason for ordering the large vs small was for the lobster which was literally so rubbery you could not even chew it. We actually had to spit it out because it was a solid rubbery hunk that could not be swallowed! Ugh awful! Plus- green lobster innards, not appealing. While I understand some enjoy that as a delicacy? I think for most it is just off-putting.

Shrimp was delicious, our server/bartender was very nice, atmosphere was pleasant, and they had a beautiful patio open for dining. Unfortunately by the time he came back around we had finished the rest of the platter and had to leave so I did not mention to him, mostly there was nothing that could be done about it at that point anyway. I just want the chef to be made aware of our experience so he can make sure others don't encounter the same disappointment.

And possibly add some more inventive sauces to the mix, not just horseradish and cocktail sauce? And cooking the seafood correctly, especially if it is going to be served cold!

Reviewed August 6, 2018

Traditional French in style, a charming place. Food is excellent and at a reasonable price.
We ate outside in the courtyard area.
Staff are very friendly and the service was excellent.