“Food vs. Cleanliness”

India House
Ranked #158 of 988 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Excellent food, service, price. Small but superior wine list. Interesting interior. Friendly and first rate.
Reviewed June 25, 2018

This is a review more about what's behind the "green curtain" than food. The appearance of a restaurant, especially behind the scenes, which are often closed to diners.

I'll get the food out of the way by saying that we ordered several curry dishes and several biryrani dishes. All were passable; similar in taste and quantity to other Indian restaurants we've visited.

What caught our attention —and deeply affected our dining experience— was not the "front of the house," where guests are served, but the "back of the house;" the kitchen and the bathrooms.

Simply put, India House does not present itself as being clean and sanitary. The bathrooms were messy, with used paper towels on the floor and old fixtures that looked like they needed a good scrubbing.

In returning from the bathroom we passed the door to the kitchen. The door was ajar so we poked our head in. What we saw did not sit well. A picture is worth a thousand words, so look at the image and draw your own conclusions.

Based on our standards of cleanliness, we will not be returning.

Reviewed March 24, 2018

We are new to the neighborhood and have looked forward to trying this place. I had my heart set on Egg Curry but it was not on the menu. We wanted a nice IPA to go with the food and while they had both a Surley's Furious and a Summit EPA on the menu, they actually only had 4 of the 15 beers listed. So if you like a lager, you are set, I guess. We weren't. My husband ordered a Chicken Masala and said it was average. He didn't want the leftovers. I ordered a vegetable Curry and ate half. It was 50% raw onions and the other half was overcooked carrots, peas and potatoes. There was no sauce, just a faint flavoring of curry. We won't be back.

Reviewed March 7, 2018

Our family regularly eats here - whether it's for the lunch buffet, dinner, or take out. The appetizers, whether meat (like chicken pakora) or naan, are excellent. The entrees are marvelous. There are 3 or 4 pages of entree options. Our favorite is chicken kashmiri, pictured below. Service is fast and friendly.

Strongly recommended.

1  Thank JoeNathan9249
Reviewed March 5, 2018 via mobile

Had been there yesterday afternoon for weekend buffet with family. Here is the thing, the ambience is really good. they had good variety of buffet items for both vegetarians and non vegetarians. when we were through half meal could see the items were not being refilled on time and also the dessert was almost done, when asked for, they mentioned they have 20 mins to close time so they wouldnt refill it, as far as I know if they are out of one item they would refill the same or alternative item until close, drove almost 70 miles to celebrate something special and got bit disappointed. I would agree with one of the reviews here, may be they were really good and probably going downhill through time. The quality of served items is good, but I could see that change in taste difference in initial items versus the refilled ones, consistency of taste through one whole meal is what I expect.

Reviewed November 6, 2017

A few months ago I attended a wedding and they catered from India House. I had been to this place many years ago when I first moved to Minnesota, but I had totally forgotten about it!
After the wedding, I promised myself I would go back, so I did!
It's a great location for family dinners and to go with a large group of people, as well as for a more intimate dinner.
Definitely coming back soon!