“Nice to go back home”

Magnolias Restaurant
Ranked #177 of 974 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Cuisines: American
Reviewed February 26, 2018

I grew up not far from here and thought it would be fun to visit a place in my old neighborhood. I took my 92 year old mother who surprisingly had never been here but remembered when it first opened as Magnolias in 1984. She always wanted to go there but never did so...
Very busy on a Saturday morning around 11am. There is a small parking lot on Magnolia a building or so away and also street parking. The restaurant is smallish and not a lot of waiting space if tables are full, but it worked. A little crowded for bringing in a walker or any other gear.
Traditional breakfast fare for the most part. Pleasant service albeit a little haphazard. Good prices and satisfying. Excited to get a muffin with my breakfast as it was mentioned in some reviews but it is a pre-made/pre-purchased oversized muffin - nothing special, and very sweet.
Nice to go back home but wouldn't need to go out of my way to return.

Reviewed October 13, 2017

this is the place to be. The Roast Beef Hash and Biscuits and gravy can't be beat. Service is fast and friendly and are happy to see you. East side treasure.

Reviewed September 1, 2017

Tiny Spot with big tasty food. Every thing I have ordered here has been good. Turkey dinner with dressing and mashed potatoes was wonderful. Great chicken salad sandwiches. Check out the daily specials, they are a great value. Don't miss the homemade pies, the always have a wide selection. The servers are old school... fast friendly and efficient.

Reviewed August 12, 2017 via mobile

A St Paul icon, this restaurant features reasonable prices and excellent food. Today I had their roast beef hash with my breakfast. Pretty darn good!

Reviewed May 15, 2017

I had the hot turkey sandwich with mashed potatoes and gravy. It was delicious and the portion size was huge! I asked for all white meat turkey and that's what I got! The turkey is not your average Oscar Meyer turkey lunchmeat, but it is real turkey. They state on the menu that they cook whole turkeys and then cut off the pieces of turkey for the hot turkey sandwich. The waitress was very efficient, very personable and very kind. This is a very small place with some very cozy booths and some tables. They have many kinds of pie for dessert; and today they also offered strawberry cheesecake and strawberry shortcake. Prices are very, very reasonable. I will certainly be back even though this is quite a ways from my house in the Twin Cities. Thank you everyone at Magnolias.