“Lovely Little Place With Good Food”
Review of La Grolla

La Grolla
Ranked #31 of 991 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Price range: US$31 - US$40
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed September 15, 2018

I stumbled on La Grolla on my first night in St. Paul, and I was pleasantly surprised at the whole experience. Staff are very friendly and checked on me regularly to see if I needed anything more. I started with the small Isabella salad, which was just the right size to begin my overall meal - the salad is basic but tasty. Then for my main entry I chose the ravioli di granchio, ravioli stuffed with crab and lobster in a light tomato-based sauce. The ravioli was very good, although I probably could have eaten more (the plate comes with about ten or so individual ravioli, about medium-sized). But I used the complementary bread to mop up the sauce, so that helped. Finally, I went with the taxido for dessert - a chocolate cake that wasn't so big I thought I'd have to bring some back to the hotel.

Overall, a very nice spot with a patio for outdoor dining.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed September 12, 2018 via mobile

We went as a group of 5 during the prime dinner hour. They were busy, but the service was relatively quick. Nice wine selection, delicious authentic Italian. Waiter was knowledgeable about the menu. No kids menu, but we didn't expect it. Ours are just old enough to sit quietly. They enjoyed the lasagna. We enjoyed the spacious 2 level patio. Plenty of vegetation to be quiet and intimate even though it's just of the street. The least impressive part of our meal was the dessert we took to go, but it wasn't disappointing. My biggest complaint would be the cheap plastic water tumblers. I noticed what I thought were water goblets set on the tables inside, so perhaps the plastic was only on the patio? The hostess must have been new, but the food was really delicious. I would definitely go back.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed August 19, 2018

This was our first visit to LaGrolla. It was a beautiful night and we ate outside. The service was excellent...only to be outdone by the food. I ordered chicken, the others ordered seafood . No one was disappointed. I look forward to a return visit.

Reviewed August 17, 2018

I had the penne alla vodka and the Isabella salad. Both were delicious and I will definitely be back. While we ate indoors, the outdoor seating looked lovely.

Reviewed August 11, 2018

Number one wife has put up with me for well over half a century so why not treat her to dinner? La Grolla has positive memories for us and off we went to celebrate.

Once again Lisa was our waitress (third time in a row) and as on past occasions she did well. Too hot to sit outside so we were placed at a window table and watched the world troop by as we reminisced on our lives and joys.

Number one ordered her usual - Crab Cakes with a side of asparagus - and I ordered Veal Scallopini. The crab cakes were good ( a hint of spice) and the asparagus was grilled just right. My veal was on the chewy side. Good flavor but I had to work the molars a bit too much. Nice desert of Tiramisu.

Will return.

Date of visit: August 2018

Been to La Grolla? Share your experiences!