“Friendly staff, good vibe, standard fare”
Review of La Cucaracha

La Cucaracha
Ranked #207 of 972 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed March 4, 2018

We enjoyed our visit to La Cucaracha: the staff was friendly and the service prompt. The place was buzzing with activity and everyone was relaxed and enjoying themselves: it had the perfect "neighborhood" hang out vibe.

Our drinks were well prepared and quite tasty. They had an excellent tequila selection and were helpful in suggesting the tequila that best fit the flavor profile we were after.

The menu offered up most of the usual suspects and was pretty standard fare. I found the salsas to be flavorful but most everything seemed under seasoned and fell a little flat in the flavor department. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad, it just wasn't great. Plus, they were out of limes for their drinks and their food, so that's never a good sign at a mexican restaurant, especially since I typically ask for lime and cilantro to help liven up and give a kick of freshness to food that falls a little short on its own.

Overall, it was an enjoyable night and if I was in the neighborhood, I'd probably return, just not sure I'd make the drive or Uber ride to get there with so many other options in town.

Reviewed February 1, 2018

We took my 91 year old aunt to La Cucaracha for lunch. She lived in New Mexico for sixty years and was really missing Mexican food. The menu was excellent and the food we ordered really hit the spot. My pork burrito was fabulous. My aunt uses a walker and the staff at LC were so helpful getting her in and out of the restaurant. Kudos, all.

Reviewed December 6, 2017

I met friends at this restaurant. They sent me the address because I had never been there before. I arrived early and found a place to park behind the restaurant. I decided to walk around the area and found some fun shops and art galleries.

The food was good and the service was helpful. We asked the server about the size for an appetizer if we were all ordering entrees. She suggested the appropriate size for our group. I had the chicken enchiladas Suiza and I would order them again. There was a lot of tasty chicken and the sauce was delicious.

Reviewed June 18, 2017

This place isn't great. My enchilada was actually pretty bad. They don't give you free chips. The food is pretty expensive. Our service was slow. I went one other time and it wasn't that great, but I gave it another shot- I won't be back. I actually thought it might be one of the worst mexican places I have been to. Skip it. Go anywhere else.

Reviewed June 14, 2017 via mobile

We were seated and served very quickly. Happy hour drinks were a good value. The chimichanga was very good and stuffed with chicken. The enchiladas were also very good very filling. No free chips and salsa. You have to order them, but they are worth it. Reasonable prices.