“Great dinner (without a drop of vodka)”
Review of Moscow on the Hill

Moscow on the Hill
Ranked #15 of 989 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Price range: US$0 - US$40
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 16, 2018

The last Russian restaurant we'd been in was in Medford, Oregon some years ago. So on reading about Moscow on the Hill in Saint Paul, we just had to check it out. It turned out to be a very nice dining experience. Parking was quite easy at the adjacent YWCA lot; evidently the restaurant levies (usually) a small fee of $5, but it was well worth the convenience. Although we'd taken the precaution of making reservations, it turns out they really weren't needed this Monday early evening. We were seated promptly, led past the chairs and sofas of the vodka lounge, to the smallish dining room beyond. The waiter was very helpful and patient in answering our questions about the variety of dishes on the menu. We started out with one beef pirozhok and two spinach blintzes for an appetizer. For drinks, we stuck with iced tea, lemonade, and Kvas (a kind of bread soda pop). Small bowls of borscht came next (very tasty). Then a short round of Siberian pelmeni (meat dumplings) followed by the main course: Czar's Medallions (pork), Cabbage Rolls (stuffed cabbage leaves in sauce), and a vegetarian Givetch (mixed spiced vegetables on buckwheat) to which broiled chicken was added (extra). A basket of dark rye bread (extra) rounded things out.
The meals were excellent (and very rich!). The portions were ample enough that two of our party required take-home boxes for what they could not finish. The bill for three people came out to about $115 before tax and tip. Yes, that's quite expensive, but the food, the service, and the atmosphere were definitely worth it. I will look forward to visiting MooH again and trying some of the other items from their menu.
One note: we had to make reservations by leaving a voicemail note. Never got a callback to confirm, so we were a little worried as the evening approached whether we'd gotten on their books, but it all turned out well.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed September 15, 2018

I made it to Moscow on the Hill just before the dinner menu would start, so I went ahead with a very late (4:30pm) solo luncheon during a recent business trip to the city. I've eaten at Russian restaurants in Austin, TX (!) and Chicago, and I usually order the same items to compare value and quality. Overall, I give MOTH an average rating, although nothing was bad. Service was relatively quick, since there weren't many customers about at that time, I was a bit taken aback that the kvas came in a can that I had to pour myself, but that was a minor point. No complementary vodka shot and crudities (e.g., green onion, rye bread) to start, but that might have been because I was still on the lunch menu. I started with the Olivier Plate, which is a standard potato salad, and chose the beef stroganoff with a large pile Moscow Fries (lightly seasoned fried potato slices). The stroganoff was ok, but it was essentially beef chunks and sliced mushrooms in a greyish sauce. Of course, every restaurant prepares that dish differently, but I was surprised that it did not have either a rice or egg noodle base. Ultimately, a bit on the bland side, like much of the area's foods (those of us from other US regions refer to MN/WI as "The Land Without Spices").

I'd still recommend MOTH for those interested in trying something different, but the emphasis at this establishment seems to be on the vodka selections (which are impressive) rather than the food.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed September 1, 2018

We only went to the bar lounge & enjoyed sitting comfortably on provided couches for vodka shots. We spent many hours having a few shots & reminisced with friends. All the vodka shots were served with a tasty marinated miniature dill pickle. I had a horseradish infused vodka with the pickle & I loved it.

Reviewed August 26, 2018 via mobile

Visited here on a Sunday at noon and it was not busy at all. We took our seat out on the patio. The patio is a nice area with lots of seating and could use a little cleaning up but I still liked being outside. I was slightly disappointed that they no longer have a brunch menu as it was still on their website. We ordered off the lunch menu instead. I started with the kvas ( canned carbonated drink) and an order of Moscow fries that were totally yummy! The 2 dipping sauces also
Round 2 of food tried the Aggie dumplings and also the peasant dumplings. Again... very very good! Also got a lamb pastry-forgot the name- and it was cooked perfectly! I did take quite some time for our food but it was cooked perfect, so worth the wait. Round 3 was the neopolitan dessert ( 3 layers of pastry dough with whipped custard & fresh fruit) yummy! Great e Persian e and glad I went!

Reviewed August 17, 2018 via mobile

So tonight was a flip of the coin, sushi or Russian. We chose Moscow on the hill and what an enjoyable evening.
First you need to sit on the patio of weather permits and soak in how gorgeous it is for being in the heart of the city.
Next... yep, flights of vodka. I know sounds harsh but guess what. Russian/ Ukrainian vodka isn’t the crap they make in the states. This is really good on its own. That is if you like vodka :)

The appetizer was zakuski platter, see pics. It was meat, cheese and some unique other items.

Then dinner dumplings and beef stroganoff.

Dessert was the Napoleon—- yummy

Finally two- Russian Standard Platinum vodka martinis

Perry was the gal taking care of us and she knew her stuff

Then you have the gentlemen on the accordion who did a marvelous with background sounds. Please see all the pics from the evening and let me know if you enjoy your time as I did

2  Thank Jamaicaman15