“Even worse than you would imagine”

Motel 6 St Paul I-94
Ranked #16 of 16 Hotels in Saint Paul
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I have never written a review and hope that others like myself who only read them will start doing so. We had reservations for 2 nights. We tried to check in to the hotel at about 2 a.m. on Friday night/Saturday morning. We got out of the car in the parking lot and someone was getting out of a taxi and was threating to kill the cab driver. We proceeded to the front desk and were assigned a room. We rode the "elevator from hell" to the third floor and went to our room. We opened the door and the TV was on, the bed wasn't made and the room smelled like fresh smoke. Went back to the front desk to get a different room and was sent back to the third floor. Got into this room and set my bag on the bed. It was then that we noticed that the comforter had so many stains on it that it looked like it hadn't ever been laundered. We immediately began to call other hotels and thankfully were able to book across town. The man at the front desk was very nice and apologetic throughout the whole ordeal. I would not recommend this "hotel" to any one, ever!!!!!!! VERY SCARY!!!

Room Tip: Don't pick any!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kevin G
JanusHotels, General Manager at Motel 6 St Paul I-94, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2012

Thank you for your feedback! It was extremely valuble and played an integral part in changing this property for the better. Along with new management we have resolved issues and have made guest experiences better. Again, thank you!

There are newer reviews for Motel 6 St Paul I-94

Reviewed 4 March 2012

I'm an idiot for not taking seriously the bad reviews of this hotel on this site. Much about the hotel is fine--the staff were friendly, the rooms were not bad, beds ok, didn't mind the neighborhood. The big, big problem is that it is a long-term stay facility for a lot of families and people who do not appear to need to sleep at night. We moved in hopes of a quieter room, and the second room likewise had rooms on both sides with loud TV's, kids yelling, doors slamming, feet thumping ALL NIGHT. We had stuff we needed to do the next day, but got virtually no sleep, even using ear plugs. Our floor also stunk of pot smoke from about 10 PM on. A nightmare. This hotel needs to decide whether it's short-term housing or a hotel for people needing a place to sleep. Right now it is not even close to suitable for overnight stays.

Room Tip: Don't go. Trust me.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank ProfNewYork

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with this valuble feedback. Please know we have worked hard to make the customer experience a Super one! We hope you give us another oppurtunity to serve you!

Reviewed 10 December 2011

This "motel" has a lot of urban seedy looking hoodlum types that live here. The feel is what you would expect if you moved into a government run "project".

I think they must accept some sort of government housing vouchers or something.

Not to long ago the cops shot someone dead in the hallway. If your a dope dealer or a car load of gangsters coming into town from Chicago, Milwaukee, or Gary, Ind. you will feel right at home. If not, find another spot.

Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
8  Thank trm684
DennisStone, Manager at Motel 6 St Paul I-94, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2011

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to complete a Trip Advisor review. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

We do offer weekly and monthly specials but don't offer any government vouchers. Guests can pay with cash, credit card or debit card. The incident that occurred with the St. Paul Police happened more than 16 months ago. It was an issue that was unrelated to the guest hotel stay.

It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. If you have any questions please feel free to contact the property directly.

Reviewed 12 September 2011

We have stayed at this motel over the last 15 years and it definitely has gone downhill each year. This past weekend included virtually nothing at the breakfast (kids took EVERYTHING), no smoke detectors in the room (it was broken into pieces), there were left over clothes in the room from the previous guest, the elevator was broken and my 85 year old mother could hardly make it up the steps, small children ran around all day totally unsupervised, milk and juice was constantly spilled on the floor but not cleaned up, and toilet didn't work well.

This used to be an inexpensive and adequate motel that has gone bad. Really bad. After 15 years of staying here, we won't again.

Room Tip: Find another motel.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Stephan R
DennisStone, General Manager at Motel 6 St Paul I-94, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2011

Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. In addition, please know that your comments and issues will be addressed. Since your stay we have conducted all staff meetings where to re-introduced our child policy where all children need to be supervised by their parents if they are younger than 18 years old. If a guest child is found unsupervised the guest is giving 1 warning and then asked to leave the property after this. We have also gotten our elevator repaired since your stay and we do apologize for the inconvenience.

Reviewed 25 August 2011

I booked two nights for a business trip and left after the first night. If I could have, I would have turned around, gotten my money back and left right away. There was trash on the ground outside the main entrance, with what looked like a hooker talking to her pimp, children running around the small and grungy lobby with no clothes on. There were pretty low-class people hanging out in the lobby. Upon entering my room, the sink wouldn't drain, there was hair on the bathroom floor, mildew on the shower curtain, and I couldn't be certain that the sheets had been changed on the bed. They looked pretty wrinkled. I slept with the lights on for fear of bedbugs. I also took all the bedding and pillows off the bed because I couldn't be sure they were clean. It was the worst experience I've ever had at a hotel/motel by far. Not only would I never stay here again, I would think twice before staying at another Super 8. Yuck!!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank ASLLani
DennisStone, Front Office Manager at Motel 6 St Paul I-94, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2011

Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. In addition, please know that your comments and issues will be addressed. We recently had a housekeeping meeting where we put into place a new room inspection report where the GM, AGM and head housekeeper are now inspecting 5 rooms at random per day. Housekeepers are being scored on a 100 point scale. Anyone that receives a score of 80 or less will be repromanded. Also we have put into place a child policy where all guests children younger than the age of 18 need to be supervised at all times by the parent. If a guest child is found unsupervised the guest is giving a warning. After the first warning we ask the guest to leave the property without any type of refund.

Reviewed 15 August 2011

I stayed here with my boyfriend in July as we were crossing back through the states on our two month trip.

This is by far the worst Super 8 I've ever stayed at. As I walked into the room I could tell it was definitely not properly cleaned. The sink still had dirt and beard hairs all over it, the tub had hair on the walls and the floor of the tub still had dirt in it. The bed seemed like it was just quickly made too. (Not to mention the fact that all we got was a TINY double bed. I wouldn't even really consider it a double).. Who knows, the room may have not even been attempted to be cleaned.

Another thing was the fact that the area seemed quite unfavorable. There were sketchy characters roaming around and the back door remained propped open because it didn't shut properly on it's own. This is highly unsafe and anyone could walk in through the back at any given moment.

The breakfast was a typical super 8 motel breakfast with nothing special but at least they served a free breakfast.

I stayed at 3 super 8's in a row, three consecutive nights, with the same layout, and this was by far the most terrible. The other two were VERY clean in comparison and much more worth the money.

If I hadn't made the bid through priceline, and only paid 37$ with tax included I probably would have been a little bit more frustrated with the hotel. I still HIGHLY, DO NOT RECOMMEND anyone to stay here. Unless you like unsafe, and dirty hotel rooms....

Room Tip: do not get a room at this hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Melanie T

Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. In addition, please know that your comments and issues will be addressed. I can assure you that any cleanliness issues have been addressed with our housekeeping department. We have just put into place a room inspection report where are General Manager, Assistant General Manager and Head Housekeeper are inspecting at least 5 rooms per day at random. If a room scores 80 or below they housekeeping - room attendant will be repromanded due to cleanliness issues.

Reviewed 14 August 2011

Well, buyer beware, I guess. I'm not sure how this place received 3.5 circles, though perhaps it is a result of people not blaming the hotel for its clientele.

My son and I were just stopping overnight on our way through Minnesota, so all we needed was a room, not a bunch of amenities, nor a great location.

However, this place was 'home' to some unsavoury characters. The area outside the lobby was populated with people who were sitting, swearing, smoking, and spitting. My son and I had to walk the gauntlet through this crowd to get to the entrance and to check in. In the lobby, a toddler clad in nothing more than a diaper was running around while his mom shouted at him unseen in the breakfast room (which was open, though we arrrived at about 8-9 PM).

At check in, we were told that the room we had booked and prepaid for was not available. We had booked a room with two double beds, but all they had were rooms with one double bed, so they gave us two of those. My son is eleven and I'm not even sure if it's legal to leave him alone in a hotel room (I think the cutoff for leaving a child alone for a short time is 11 or 12); the legality of leaving him alone was a moot point. My son felt unsafe, and I wasn't crazy about the place either, so we bunked together in one of the rooms in a tiny double bed.

The doorknob fell off in the bathroom; one of the two exercise machines in the weight room didn't work, and the other didn't work properly; the air conditioning in the exercise room didn't work, nor was there any air circulation. Also, the free breakfast was decidedly lacking in options, though for the price I paid, I hadn't been expecting much.

If I had gone there alone, I doubt I'd have been quite as concerned about safety or about the guests with the colorful vocabulary that greeted us at the entrance. As it was, this was easily the worst hotel we stayed at on our two week holiday, and one of the worst I've visited in the last five years.

I strongly recommend against families staying here.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Arrogant_Worm

Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. In addition, please know that your comments and issues will be addressed. I can assure you that we have addressed your areas of concerns with guests congregating around the entry area and unsupervised children. We have conducted a front desk meeting where all your issues have been addressed.