“World Class Won Ton Mee Dry And My Go To Singaporean Chinese Restaurant”

Singapore Hawker Chinese Foods
Ranked #12 of 42 Restaurants in Willetton
Reviewed 11 April 2015

What more can I say? I'm a regular here and it's a tradition that my Dad and I sit down for a meal and catch up once a month here and at a time, I was probably going to Singapore Hawkers once a week and that's been the case for at least the last 15, if not 20 years.

What makes us go back? There Won Ton Mee Dry with Chilli and Squid Tentacles are World Class in my books and I've had more than my fair share of Won Ton Mee, whenever I dine out at a Singaporean rooted restaurant, along with the usual partner in crime Char Kway Teow and their Won Ton Mee knocks Noodle Forum for six as far as flavour goes and I wouldn't be surprised that they source their noodles from there too. The only thing that I've noticed that's missing is the crispy pork lard that are little textural and flavour explosions in my mouth.

For all those uninitiated, Won Ton Mee comes in two forms, wet and dry. For some unknown reason, we seem to be the only ones to eat the dry one but it is seriously a World Class version of the classic dish. It's a thin noodle served Chinese veggies, thinly sliced caramelised Char Siu Pork with a beautiful sauce and the sambal is a must, so remember to ask for it with chilli sambal and a side of soup with Won Tons and would have to be one of my all time favourite dishes.

I've never had a problem with service at all but don't expect too much. It's exactly like a hawker stall in that you're seated and fed promptly without frills but the food excels and is consistent 95% of the time I'm there and if it isn't up to scratch, I ask for it to be altered. For example last week, there wasn't enough sauce nor sambal for my tastes, so I simply asked for a bit more. Simples!

If you want to whinge about MSG don't go to a Chinese restaurant, in fact people need to have a reality check as many a restaurant including fast food outlets, utilise it in the cooking process. Soya sauce has it and so does some franchises chickens and chicken salt. There's no need for hysterics as it's not harmful and some people are just psychosomatic and fall ill at the thought of things. Interestingly, umami or MSG is touted as being a unique flavour of it's own nowadays and chefs will seek to fine tune a dish with umami to get a specific desired flavour profile.

Overall I have found 90% of the dishes here delightfully palatable although I'm not all that fond of the Kway Teow or Mee Goreng but the list goes on for other dishes I'm fond of like Soft Shell Crab, Patagonian Toothfish, Sweet and Sour Pork, Loh Bak and Mee Pok Dry and the BBQ selection of Char Siu and BBQ pork and duck is delicious too. Interestingly they only serve the Won Ton Mee at lunch so don't be disappointed if you are turned down at dinner.

There are newer reviews for Singapore Hawker Chinese Foods

Reviewed 20 December 2014

Staff is friendly and service is very quick. We bought take-away on our visit and food was excellent

Reviewed 26 November 2014

The chicken was nice and fragrant however the rice itself was not the best. If it came with soup it would have been better.

The deep fried fish wings that came with the other dish was a generous serving.

Reviewed 29 September 2014 via mobile

This place serves good and delicious chinese food with large portion. Highly recommend their "hor fun". Suburb neighbourhood restaurant.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I like the authentic hawker food but the place is bit small. The service is good, food is serve in good time.

1  Thank Michelle T