“Slow service, dirty tables, ok food”

Singapore Hawker Chinese Foods
Ranked #11 of 47 Restaurants in Willetton
Reviewed 8 February 2016

I noticed several people waiting for takeaways whislt I dined in. They all waited a very long time with many becoming irate as they had already paid and cannot walk out.
I heard the counter girl offering apologies repeatedly.
We waited a long time too for two noodle dishes.
It tasted less flavoursome compared to previously. There is also inconsistency in the portion size, as one plate was huge,mwhilst the other same dish was half the size. Very bad value for the customer having the smaller plate!!

Service was dismal, tables dirty, environment unpleasantly filthy, scum on floor and walls, even chairs are slimy.
If you don't mind a slghtly stained pants from sitting down, cheap bite just to fill your hunger, then come in, order, eat and leave.

Reviewed 21 January 2016

have used this restaurant many times, mainly when I wish to have a curry. Delectable. A bit slower than next door but takes nothing away from the quality

Reviewed 22 June 2015

I've been patronizing this restaurant for over 15 years now. The cuisine has been acceptably good for most times. But recently I discovered that there is a new owner in town who has unabashedly increased food prices all round. For example, my favorite seafood hor fun/crispy noodle has zoomed up from the previous $12.50 to a lofty price of $17.00. The average tab for four people now is $70 compared with the past usual of $55.00. Albeit that its quality has remained good, as the chief chef has stayed behind to facilitate the transition, I am now exploring alternative options in the vicinity. I've found a few good candidates in the Bannister Road area which meet my requirements.

Reviewed 14 June 2015 via mobile

Looking for cheap excellent quality food?
Head straight to the Peoples Park Complex at Chinatown MRT station. Lunch for $3 Per person. Beautiful food in genuine style sitting with the locals. Been here 4 times now and every time has been faultless.

Reviewed 11 April 2015

What more can I say? I'm a regular here and it's a tradition that my Dad and I sit down for a meal and catch up once a month here and at a time, I was probably going to Singapore Hawkers once a week and that's been the case for at least the last 15, if not 20 years.

What makes us go back? There Won Ton Mee Dry with Chilli and Squid Tentacles are World Class in my books and I've had more than my fair share of Won Ton Mee, whenever I dine out at a Singaporean rooted restaurant, along with the usual partner in crime Char Kway Teow and their Won Ton Mee knocks Noodle Forum for six as far as flavour goes and I wouldn't be surprised that they source their noodles from there too. The only thing that I've noticed that's missing is the crispy pork lard that are little textural and flavour explosions in my mouth.

For all those uninitiated, Won Ton Mee comes in two forms, wet and dry. For some unknown reason, we seem to be the only ones to eat the dry one but it is seriously a World Class version of the classic dish. It's a thin noodle served Chinese veggies, thinly sliced caramelised Char Siu Pork with a beautiful sauce and the sambal is a must, so remember to ask for it with chilli sambal and a side of soup with Won Tons and would have to be one of my all time favourite dishes.

I've never had a problem with service at all but don't expect too much. It's exactly like a hawker stall in that you're seated and fed promptly without frills but the food excels and is consistent 95% of the time I'm there and if it isn't up to scratch, I ask for it to be altered. For example last week, there wasn't enough sauce nor sambal for my tastes, so I simply asked for a bit more. Simples!

If you want to whinge about MSG don't go to a Chinese restaurant, in fact people need to have a reality check as many a restaurant including fast food outlets, utilise it in the cooking process. Soya sauce has it and so does some franchises chickens and chicken salt. There's no need for hysterics as it's not harmful and some people are just psychosomatic and fall ill at the thought of things. Interestingly, umami or MSG is touted as being a unique flavour of it's own nowadays and chefs will seek to fine tune a dish with umami to get a specific desired flavour profile.

Overall I have found 90% of the dishes here delightfully palatable although I'm not all that fond of the Kway Teow or Mee Goreng but the list goes on for other dishes I'm fond of like Soft Shell Crab, Patagonian Toothfish, Sweet and Sour Pork, Loh Bak and Mee Pok Dry and the BBQ selection of Char Siu and BBQ pork and duck is delicious too. Interestingly they only serve the Won Ton Mee at lunch so don't be disappointed if you are turned down at dinner.