“The owners are cheap, saving pennies, but losing dollars”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Canton
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Canton
Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri
“The owners are cheap, saving pennies, but losing dollars”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

From the time we entered the facility It was obvious that it is not well maintained, and trying to cut costs at the expense of customers. Our first clue was the landscaping, and the next was entry into a lobby designed for climate control, but the doors were wide open, and never closed during our stay.

We stay at La Quinta Inns because we travel with our small dog, and the quality of their facilities are almost always great. I would suspect this is not a corporate owned facility, and from our experience they will either shape up, or lose their franchise.

We make an annual visit to the coast, and have usually stayed at the well maintained much older La Quinta Inn in Jackson, MS. This facility is only something like 3 to 4 years old, but it is not very well maintained. The decorative pillows on the bed had stains, and for a fairly new hotel it was obvious they are going the wrong direction to get returned customers. We will pass this place up in the future, and again stay at the La Quinta in Jackson. The Jackson facility must be more than 30 years old, but it is well maintained, clean, and renovated.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Waterman_10
lqinnandsuitescanton, Webmaster at La Quinta Inn & Suites Canton, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Dear Guest,

• Outside maintenance received additional training in proper landscaping.

• Management received additional instruction in properly maintaining climate control in the lobby.

• Management was talked to about what they could do to better attract and serve our valued guests.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at La Quinta Inn & Suites Canton. We take our reviews very seriously, and I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Climax Springs, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

Were do I start. We pulled up to a fairly new nice looking hotel to see very tall weeds though out the lawn and lots of dead bushes. Not to appealing to begin with. The front doors were open and no air conditioner on in the lobby and I believe the lights were not all on either. Our ADA room was clean. The bed was a little lumpy which surprised me for such a new hotel. The pillows were also really CHEAP. I'm glad we travel with ours. The towels were not the usual La Quinta towels. They were also cheap and did not match. The shampoo in the bathroom left for use to used was half used! Not a good nights sleep the thermostat to regulate the heat in the room was not working properly.
When we came down for breakfast at 8:30am I notice that when we came into the breakfast room the lights were turned on as we entered the room. The only other person in the room was an employee eating before going to work. The gravy in the crock pot was very empty and no attempt to refill or check on it the entire time were in there eating. There was no yogurt either.
The owners or managers did say hello but not friendly at all. The whole experience was just WEIRD! Will take this La Quinta off our list of places to stay when traveling to the coast.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nanaMissouri
lqinnandsuitescanton, Webmaster at La Quinta Inn & Suites Canton, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Dear Guest,

• Grounds maintenance received additional training in properly maintaining their presentation.

• The owners and managers received additional training in making our valued guests feel welcome and wanted.

• Housekeeping received additional training in properly supplying the room before having it released for new occupants.

• Breakfast staff received additional training in putting on a proper presentation.

Hammond, Louisiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

Please do not stay at this hotel the owner was rude and horrid! PLEASE CHECK YOUR BEDDING! As their was blood stains and other "disgusting bodily fluids" smeared across the mattress. I literally almost threw up! We were in a suite and I had rather my children sleep on the floor than here. I complained to the owner and he could have cared less, he promised to call me to make ammends instead he avoided me! Please don't support this establishment. He has great employees but he as an owner has no idea what it means to treat customers well....AVOID THIS STOP!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank CarolinaTravelGal
Dear Guest,

• The owner received additional training in the courteous manner in which he is to treat our valued guests.

st. Louis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2011

A very good place to stop for the night while traveling through on way to Mississippi Gulf Coast with family and small children. Front desk staff very friendly & helpful. Quick & easy check in for 3 rooms. He went to the effort of putting us close together without asking and recommended a local restaurant. Rooms were clean and spacious, overall very nice. Microwave & fridge in each. Beds were comfortable. Bathroom large and clean with nice shower\tub. The pool is small, but nice enough for the kids after a long day on the road. Breakfast was your basic continental choices. They did have a waffle maker. There is also a Mc Donald's approx. 1 mile down road. The hotel is located off interstate exit with many other hotels as well. The room rate was much less than traveling on toward Jackson, MS. Would not hesitate to stay at this location again!

Room Tip: hotwire.com saved us $12.00 per room!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank angiRN
Birmingham, Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2010

I go to Canton every October for the Flea Market/Craft Show and have stayed in several of the hotels on Soldier Colony Road. This year I made reservations several months in advance. When I called the hotel and asked the rate it was $20 more than all the other hotels on that road...I ask why it was more and the girl on the phone graciously offered the room for $20 less. I was excited we were staying in the newest hotel. When we arrived the man at the front desk was talking on his cell phone and took several calls while he was checking us in and never apoligized. He told me the room was the original price quoted to me and when I tried to explain to him that that price was not the price given he was very rude and argumentative and told me that I had four people in my room and he could charge me $40 more for the room because I had four people in my party and they charge per person so I could take the room for what he said or he would charge me the extra per person even though there is nothing on their website about being charged per person and the girl making the reservation did not tell me I had to pay anything extra per person. He was very rude and there was no arguing with him...we were stuck since all hotels in the area were booked. The hotel was very nice but we will never stay there again because you can't trust what they say about prices and the man at the front desk (In case you missed it) was very rude. Next year we're going back to the Holdiday Inn Express across the street. One more thing....walls are very thin...heard everything going on in the room next to us and conversation in the hallway. :(

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank shoppergirl62
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing La Quinta Inn & Suites Canton for your recent stay in our area. I hope you had a wonderful time at the Flea Market/Craft Show.

• Management was approached about a system being set up so that registrations would be properly registered.

• The girl who made your registration received our commendation for the courteous way in which she treated you, our valued guest.

• The man at the front desk received additional training in the courteous manner in which he is to treat our valued guests.

Katy, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2010

Stayed here 3 nights for a softball tournament with my wife. I ding it on location because it is between the interstate and a VERY scary neighborhood, so lock up your stuff in your trunk. The cleanliness issue arose when our teammate's mom checked into her room. When she pulled down the covers, it was very obvious that someone had sex on the sheets multiple times. When they moved her to another room, she found the same thing again. In addition, they recently had the bathrooms redone and had not washed any of the drywall chalk and dust off. I ended up with white chalk on my clothes from sitting on the edge of the tub.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SaltwaterTom
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing La Quinta Inn & Suites Canton for your recent stay in our area. I hope you and your wife had a wonderful time at the softball tournament.

• Maintenance was informed of the drywall chalk and dust left in the bathroom and instructed to see to it that the job is finished.

• Management was approached about setting up a security system that would make our valued guests feel and be safer.

Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2010

Our stay here was for one nite only enroute home from New Orleans. We were looking for a CLEAN, comfortable overnight stay. We were pleased with this motel especially with the value pricing. The motel was spotless with marble floor tiles that you could see your face in! We stayed in room # 132. The bathroom, carpeting, bed linen, etc. was very clean. The room had a very comfortable mattress. [ I would suggest maybe a light bed blanket for summer instead of the very heavy coverlet/douvet although the AC worked well.] The desk staff was very friendly in both AM & PM. Breakfast had a variety of items beyond the standard fair. We are retired & frequent travelers so we have experienced all kinds of rooms over the years & expect a clean, comfortable room for our money - no matter what the price! Since using Trip Advisor & relying on other's for opinions, we have never had a disappointment on our travels!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank grammatay
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canton
0.3 km away
16.0 km away
Hilton Garden Inn Jackson/Madison
23.5 km away
Drury Inn & Suites Jackson Ridgeland

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Canton? Share your experiences!